...Hot glue toroids to PCB???

WE0H
Building my K2. Does anyone see any issues with using hot glue to glue
the toroids down to the boards? I've never had issues gluing toroids
down in my 600 meter projects. Inductance values have never changed from
no glue to glued down. But with the K2, it just doesn't seem right to
leave the toroids loose without gluing them to the boards. So what do
you guys think, glue or no glue?

Many thanks,
Mike
WE0H

Re: ...Hot glue toroids to PCB???

Peter, DL2FI
Mike,
I had to repair a lot of customer kits in the past. Withn a few kits I found
glued Torroids and believe me, I hate them!!! If you have do rewind the
torroid itself or if there is a problem next to a torroid, the glue will
cause a lot of problems.  .

I do not see any reason to glue torroides. If they are soldered correctly,
they stay stable for a whole live without any problem. My Fieldtest K2
Serial 000009 has never seen any glue but is still working like a champ :-)

73 de Peter, DL2FI

Re: ...Hot glue toroids to PCB???

Geoffrey Mackenzie-Kennedy
Mike,

When mounting toroidal coils used at HF which sit upright on a pcb, my
practice is to glue a small shim or spacer flat onto the main pcb where the
coil is to be placed, and then glue the toroidal coil onto the spacer. I
make spacers from scrap pieces of fibreglass pcb, the type that does not
have any copper or from which the copper has been removed. The end result is
that the toroid is spaced slightly off the main pcb and any groundplane or
tracks (heaven forbid) that might be under the toroid.

The glue that I use is a type of homebrewed "coil dope".  I do not know if
hot glue would work, applying it might overheat the toroidal core.

Mounting toroidal coils that sit flat on a pcb is quite another ball game.

73,
Geoff
GM4ESD

Mike-WE0H wrote on Monday, March 02, 2009, at 7:43 AM

> Building my K2. Does anyone see any issues with using hot glue to glue
> the toroids down to the boards? I've never had issues gluing toroids
> down in my 600 meter projects. Inductance values have never changed from
> no glue to glued down. But with the K2, it just doesn't seem right to
> leave the toroids loose without gluing them to the boards. So what do
> you guys think, glue or no glue?
>
> Many thanks,
> Mike
> WE0H

Re: ...Hot glue toroids to PCB???

Mike,

Please do not use any fixative on the toroids.  I echo Peter's comments,
I too repair many K2s and if the toroids are glued, they are a real pain
to work with.
I have *never* seen a problem with loose toroids, the wires hold them in
place just fine.
One of the K2s that I built logged over 500,000 miles in the cab of an
18 wheeler without a problem and those toroids were supported only by
their leads.

Mike-WE0H wrote:

> Building my K2. Does anyone see any issues with using hot glue to glue
> the toroids down to the boards? I've never had issues gluing toroids
> down in my 600 meter projects. Inductance values have never changed from
> no glue to glued down. But with the K2, it just doesn't seem right to
> leave the toroids loose without gluing them to the boards. So what do
> you guys think, glue or no glue?
>
> Many thanks,
> Mike
> WE0H

Re: ...Hot glue toroids to PCB???

k0wa@swbell.net

Do not do this.  I use "bees wax" to secure one of my toroids down because I felt it needed it.  Well, it is a mess to work with.  I abandoned the practice and just used the wires to hold them in place.

Lee - K0WA

In our day and age it seems that Common Sense is in short supply.  If you don't have any Common Sense - get some Common Sense and use it.  If you can't find any Common Sense, ask for help from somebody who has some Common Sense.  Is Common Sense divine?

Re: ...Hot glue toroids to PCB???

Vic K2VCO
Mike-WE0H wrote:
> Building my K2. Does anyone see any issues with using hot glue to glue
> the toroids down to the boards?

Elecraft doesn't recommend this. It's not needed to keep them in place and can be quite
annoying if you want to remove one for some reason or adjust the inductance by squeezing
the turns.
Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA
http://www.qsl.net/k2vco

Re: ...Hot glue toroids to PCB???

Matt Palmer-4
If its that big of a deal to you there used to be a product called
'qdope' that was made for this purpose. With some frequencies various
other things can cause havok, though i would believe in LF projects
the effect is negligible.

Matt
W8ESE
Former KD8DAO
http://blog.MattIsKichigai.com

On Mon, Mar 2, 2009 at 9:17 AM, Lee Buller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Do not do this.  I use "bees wax" to secure one of my toroids down because I felt it needed it.  Well, it is a mess to work with.  I abandoned the practice and just used the wires to hold them in place.
>
> Lee - K0WA
>

> In our day and age it seems that Common Sense is in short supply.  If you don't have any Common Sense - get some Common Sense and use it.  If you can't find any Common Sense, ask for help from somebody who has some Common Sense.  Is Common Sense divine?

Re: ...Hot glue toroids to PCB??? No is the answer...

WE0H
Wow, quite a response. The consensus is do NOT glue the toroids and I won't.

One guy said he has a radio that traveled 500k miles in a big truck and
I surely know what that kind of environment is like. Says a lot for the
radio's durability right there.
Thank you all for the help.

Mike
WE0H

Re: ...Hot glue toroids to PCB??? No is the answer...

TF3KX
I don't understand where this urge for glueing toroids comes from.  To have the toroids firmly in place, do the following:

- Leave something like 1/2" of wire extending from each end of the inductor before mounting it.
- Route these wires through the PCB holes, grab them at the other side and pull gently with pliers.
- The toroid will be pulled to the PCB surface, and then bend the wire slightly where it exits the hole.
- Now the toroid is snugly pulled towards the PCB surface, you can solder and clip off the excess wire.

I sort of thought everyone did this, but I may be wrong.  Anyhow, this is a way to keep everything in place without ever using a drop of glue.

73 - Kristinn, TF3KX

WE0H wrote