How to record Audio on K3

Mike Scott-7
I wish to be able to record my K3 audio to explain a problem I am having to
Elecraft. I have no idea how to do this.
I have my Line Out connected to my sound card. How can I record what I hear
and make a file and send it out?

Mike Scott - AE6WA
Tarzana, CA (DM04 / near LA)
NAQCC 3535
K3-100 #508 / KX1  #1311

Re: How to record Audio on K3

Dick Dievendorff
There's a free program called "Audacity" that will do this. See
http://audacity.sourceforge.net  Audacity provides useful editing
capability.

You can write your result file as an .mp3 file, which is a fairly compact
format (and loses some amount of quality, depending on the options you
choose).

You might also be able to use the Windows Sound Recorder, which is under
Start - Accessories - Entertainment - Sound Recorder.

The Sound Recorder will record a "wav" file, which is uncompressed and gets
very large very quickly.  If you need more than a few seconds of sound,
you'll be better off starting with something that has more capability than
the Sound Recorder.  If you're just playing around locally maybe a
multi-megabyte file is OK for a few minutes.  But if you're going to send it
to someone, investing a little time to learn a compact format might be well
spent.

Dick, K6KR

Re: How to record Audio on K3

Rick Commo
Thanks for the info Dick.  I had never paid attention to the fact that it was a recorder as well.
But I will put a plug into for it as nice piece of software in that you can edit MP3s in a number of
ways and also (to a degree) speed them up or slow them down while keeping pitch constant.

My use of the program has centered around singing in choral groups. Now there is another use!!

Cheers all,
-rick

There's a free program called "Audacity" that will do this. See
http://audacity.sourceforge.net  Audacity provides useful editing
capability.

.
.
.

Re: How to record Audio on K3

Matt Zilmer
Try using Sound Recorder if you're running Windoze on the PC.

73,
matt W6NIA

On Mon, 30 Mar 2009 21:56:56 -0700, you wrote:

>I wish to be able to record my K3 audio to explain a problem I am having to
>Elecraft. I have no idea how to do this.
>I have my Line Out connected to my sound card. How can I record what I hear
>and make a file and send it out?
>
>Mike Scott - AE6WA
>Tarzana, CA (DM04 / near LA)
>NAQCC 3535
>K3-100 #508 / KX1  #1311

>Post: mailto:[hidden email]

Re: How to record Audio on K3

W8ZN
Mike,

Make sure the line out from the K3 is plugged into the line input of your sound card. On most computers, red is the mic input, green is line output and blue is line input. Or if they have stencils by them, the one with and ear and arrow pointing in.

Click on programs, then accessories, then entertainment and select volume control.

In volume control, click options in the upper left, then select properties. In the section labeled "adjust volume for...." select record. Below is the section "Show the following volumes controls", make sure line input is checked and click OK.

The next window that pops up will be the recoding sliders, make sure line input has the "select" box checked and set the slider half way up.

Now you can run sound recorder located back in programs, accessories, entertainment and the recoding will be of the line input.

Hope this helps,

Terry

Re: How to record Audio on K3

While Audacity certainly is a good choice for recording and editing
sound files, if you want something even more versatile for recording
(not editing), take a look at Total Recorder from www.highcriteria.com.
It will record anything that you can send through the sound card.
Recording can be in a variety of formats.  It is not free, but is low
cost for the function.

BTW:  If you wish to record in mp3 format, you have to point Audacity
(Total Recorder too) to the mp3 encoder - download LAME.dll (it is
anything but 'lame'). if you don't have it.

Rick Commo wrote:

> Thanks for the info Dick.  I had never paid attention to the fact that it was a recorder as well.
> But I will put a plug into for it as nice piece of software in that you can edit MP3s in a number of
> ways and also (to a degree) speed them up or slow them down while keeping pitch constant.
>
> My use of the program has centered around singing in choral groups. Now there is another use!!
>
> Cheers all,
> -rick

Re: How to record Audio on K3

GW0ETF
Not exactly on message Mike but don't forget the handy feature of being able to record what you hear in your phones by taking the output from the Line-Out socket. Go to the LINE OUT menu entry and tap 1 to get <=PHONES> and adjust the recording level with the AF control. It's very useful for recording both sides of a qso as against just the rx.

I used this with Audacity to record some of the pileups when I was in the Gambia recently - there's a clip on YouTube if you google C56ETF...

73,

Stewart Rolfe, GW0ETF
Mike Scott-7 wrote
I wish to be able to record my K3 audio to explain a problem I am having to
Elecraft. I have no idea how to do this.
I have my Line Out connected to my sound card. How can I record what I hear
and make a file and send it out?

Mike Scott - AE6WA
Tarzana, CA (DM04 / near LA)
NAQCC 3535
K3-100 #508 / KX1  #1311

How to record Audio on K3

Tom Hammond-2
One item which has (i believe) been touched upon, but may not have been
explained deeply enough is the SIZE of the resulting audio file if you
use the default record settings often offered by many (most) audio
recording softwares.

I've found that it's not necessary to use the highest fidelity recording
parameters when recording SSB voice or CW... and possibly digital as well.

Quite often your recording software will default to record parameters like

   Record Sample Rate:  44,100 samples/sec

        Sample Format:  32-bit float

   Recording Channels:  Stereo

        Export Format:  WAV (Microsoft 16 bit PCM)

Using these defaults will result in a very large (many MB per minute
of
record time) WAV file, even if you only record for 1 minute... .

IF given the opportunity to change these defaults, I'll try to select:

   Record Sample Rate:  11,025 samples/sec

        Sample Format:  16-bit (even 8-bit if available)

   Recording Channels:  Mono

        Export Format:  WAV (Microsoft 8 bit PCM)

These settings will result in a very usable quality recording and at about
10% the file size of the default... usually 4 MB for a 5-minute recording.

Just a thought!

73,

Tom Hammond   N0SS

Re: How to record Audio on K3

David Gilbert

I've also used Total Recorder for several years now, and it is indeed an
excellent program.  The cost is low for the standard edition ($18), and
even the professional version that contains several pretty neat features
is only $36.  The cost includes lifetime free upgrades for each edition,
and new versions are released pretty regularly.  The program installs
itself as a sound card driver between your CPU and the sound card, and
ANYTHING that gets sent to your sound card will get captured.  That
includes streaming audio from web sites, anything from the LINE IN or
LINE OUT ports on the sound card, and audio from any application running
on the computer.  It's a very stable program and I've never had it
glitch.  I've used it for recording audio from programs like CW Player
to generate files to feed a second rig driving a dummy load for checking
low level IMD on the K3 before that issue was addressed.

73,
Dave   AB7E

Don Wilhelm wrote:

> While Audacity certainly is a good choice for recording and editing
> sound files, if you want something even more versatile for recording
> (not editing), take a look at Total Recorder from www.highcriteria.com.
> It will record anything that you can send through the sound card.
> Recording can be in a variety of formats.  It is not free, but is low
> cost for the function.
>
> BTW:  If you wish to record in mp3 format, you have to point Audacity
> (Total Recorder too) to the mp3 encoder - download LAME.dll (it is
> anything but 'lame'). if you don't have it.
>
> 73,
> Don W3FPR

Re: How to record Audio on K3

ab2tc
If you use Ham Radio Deluxe's logbook, you will find its audio capture and replay feature very handy. It generates compact MP3 files. It's very easy to use and requires a minimum of setup.

Tom Hammond-2 wrote
> One item which has (i believe) been touched upon, but may not have been
> explained deeply enough is the SIZE of the resulting audio file if you
<snip>

Re: How to record Audio on K3

David Woolley (E.L)
Tom Hammond wrote:
> One item which has (i believe) been touched upon, but may not have
> been explained deeply enough is the SIZE of the resulting audio file
> if you use the default record settings often offered by many (most)
> audio recording softwares.

One really needs to know something about the nature of the specific
problem before you start optimising the sound file settings.

In particular, whilst MP3 will be good for problems that are easily
audible and can be diagnosed by ear, it will probably completely corrupt
  PSK data.  If one ends up taking a spectrum, MP3 is also likely to
distort it.

I admit that 44.1kHz is likely to be excessive, if the roofing filters
are working.

> I've found that it's not necessary to use the highest fidelity recording
> parameters when recording SSB voice or CW... and possibly digital as well.

SSB is generally lower quality than telephone voice, so telephone
settings, i.e. 8kHz, mono, 8 bit mu- or A-law encoding would be enough
for recording voice.  (GSM is possibly the most compact form for SSB
voice (mobile phone quality), although you can get almost as compact
with low bit rate MP3.  I'm not sure if GSM (or MP3) handle noisy voice
very well. Standard bit rate MP3 will be larger than 8kHz mu-law.)  If
the roofing filters are OK, 8kHz should be OK for all but AM and FM
filters, although I might use 16 bit linear for raw recording of digital
modes.

(Telephone quality may appear as something like G.711 (G.71x) in the
list of codecs.)

--
David Woolley
"The Elecraft list is a forum for the discussion of topics related to

Re: How to record Audio on K3

Rick Commo
Thanks Don,

You posting reminded that I actually have had Total Recorder for quite some time now in order to
record some vintage vinyl.  Been so long that I had forgotten about it!!

At Dave's, AB7E, mention, in a later posting, perhaps its time to investigate the Pro version again
and see what features I might find interesting.
73,s
-rick,K7LOG