Insatll SSB and things go dead - question

Insatll SSB and things go dead - question

Tim Logan
Hello all -
My basic K2 #4667 was operating on cw EXTREMELY well (audio outstanding
by the way compared to two prior K2's).

However, today I finished and installed the SSB board. W2-W3and C167
were removed from the RF board per instructions. According to the menu
the SSB board is communicating with the K2. However I literally hear
nothing but very quiet unchanging background noise. Before WWV was
knocking my ears off at 10 o'clock on the AF knob.  If I remove the
antenna there is no change in sound. If I remove the SSB board the
background sound comes up but I still don't  to hear anything including WWV.

What SHOULD I be able to hear in cw mode with W2-3 cut and C167 removed
and the SSB board off? I first need to determine if I may have harmed
the RF board when removing the 3 items, but I do not not what it should
be capable of with C167 removed. If it should be pretty much just like
it was prior to cutting the jumpers and C167 then I have a major
problem. (Shoot - that baby was running dyno-mite on cw!!!!!)

If I can confirm the RF board is still OK then I will put SSB board back
in and start voltage checks. Thanks in advance for any help.
73/Tim NZ7C

RE: Insatll SSB and things go dead - question

Don Wilhelm-3
Tim,

Troubleshooting the basic K2 is even easier that all that - just put a
jumper from pins 1 to 3 on J9 and J10 and your receive path should be
restored.  If you want to restore the transmit path you will have to insert
a .001 uF capacitor into pins 7 and 12 of J11.

My guess is that you will find the base K2 OK, and your problem is on the
KSB2 - most likely in the filter switching area (all those diodes near the
crystals), or an unsoldered connection on the KSB2 board.

Jim Younce
Tim:

Install a scrap resistor lead or piece of solid hookup wire from pin 1 to
pin 3 on J9 and J10 and install a 103 Cap from pin 7 to pin 12 of J 11 and
you will be back to what you had before... I would bet you have a problem on
the SSB board.  I had this on one SSB generator and it was either RFC1 or
RFC2 that was shorting out to the crystal housing.

73
Jim Younce K4ZM
K2 SN: 18