Interference from new wireless router

John Wiener
I recently changed my wireless router in the shack.  It took me a
while to realize it was the culprit responsible for some interesting
sounding RF interference.

Having recently built my K1, it worked very well but recently I noted
low frequency rapid "clicks"  It sounded just like a broad poorly
shaped CW sig just out of the bandpass...you know, clicks.  I kept
thinking a very fast CW op was "just around the corner".

Just moving the router back a bit solved the problem.

I bring it up because I did not expect router interference to sound
like that.

Curious if anyone else had a similar experience.

The new Router is an Apple Airport Extreme.

John
AB8O

Re: Interference from new wireless router

John-483
At 12:59 PM 18/03/09, you wrote:

>I recently changed my wireless router in the shack.  It took me a
>while to realize it was the culprit responsible for some interesting
>sounding RF interference.
>
>Having recently built my K1, it worked very well but recently I noted
>low frequency rapid "clicks"  It sounded just like a broad poorly
>shaped CW sig just out of the bandpass...you know, clicks.  I kept
>thinking a very fast CW op was "just around the corner".
>
>Just moving the router back a bit solved the problem.
>
>I bring it up because I did not expect router interference to sound
>like that.
>
>Curious if anyone else had a similar experience.
>
>The new Router is an Apple Airport Extreme.
>
>John
>AB8O

I have, just on the K1. It sounds like an old motor scooter,
putt/putt/putt........ Think it's getting in on the DC line. Don't
hear it on the K2's or K3, however, the router puts out some fine
birdies in the HF spectrum. Too bad some of them fall in the ham bands.

The router is a Netgear.

John
k7up

Re: Interference from new wireless router

Jim Brown-10
On Wed, 18 Mar 2009 15:59:53 -0400, John Wiener wrote:

>I recently changed my wireless router in the shack.  It took me a
>while to realize it was the culprit responsible for some interesting
>sounding RF interference.

I've not heard (or identified) those clicks, but there's some detailed
advice about how to kill RFI from Ethernet gear in my RFI tutorial.

http://audiosystemsgroup.com/RFI-Ham.pdf

73,

Jim Brown K9YC