Internal keyer

Earl Ritchie-2
I have connected my bencher paddles using the stereo plug and the menu set to PDLn. I have checked U6 on the control board and pins 29 & 30 show the correct resistance and voltage.   My problem is that when either paddle is pressed, I get only a steady tone--no dits or dahs.  Speed setting doesn't change anything, just a steady tone.  Has anyone else had this experience and/ can offer some help?
Tnx, Earl

Re: Internal keyer

Vic K2VCO
Earl Ritchie wrote:

> I have connected my bencher paddles using the stereo plug and the menu set to
> PDLn. I have checked U6 on the control board and pins 29 & 30 show the
> correct resistance and voltage.   My problem is that when either paddle is
> pressed, I get only a steady tone--no dits or dahs.

If the dit and dah wires from the paddle are shorted (in the plug, for example)
and you have the autodetect feature turned on, you would get this.

Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA
http://www.qsl.net/k2vco

Re: Internal keyer

Brian Mury-3
On Thu, 2004-25-11 at 22:32 -0500, Earl Ritchie wrote:
> My problem is that when either paddle is pressed, I get only a steady
> tone--no dits or dahs.  Speed setting doesn't change anything, just a
> steady tone.

Are you sure you don't have a short between the dot and dash lines
somewhere? The K2 has a feature that allows both a paddle and a key to
be connected in parallel. The key is connected to both the dot and dash
lines. When the K2 sees both dot and dash lines go low at the same time,
it knows that it is the key, not the paddle (you would need a couple
diodes to keep the paddle from grounding both lines).

You can check this by turning off this feature. Go back to the INP menu
(and hold the EDIT button to edit the parameter), the tap DISPLAY. You
should see ADET OFF displayed briefly. Now try your paddle. If you have
a short, you should now get alternating dits and dahs regardless of
which lever you press.

--
73, Brian
VE7NGR