Internal tuner vs. 2m module?

Steve KC8QVO
Somewhere along my readings I heard something about possibly adding 2m later down the road in the KX3 and that it would be optional whether you want the tuner OR the 2m module. I am taking that to mean that both modules will not fit under the hood of the KX3.

There have been several K2 op's that have remote mounted the 100w module outside of the case of the K2 to allow a 10w portable rig or a desk-top 100w rig. Just because the module is intended to be an "internal" addition doesn't mean there isn't a way to put it "outside the box".

That brings me to my question:
How hard would it be to remote mount the tuner? I would greatly benefit from having 2m in the rig as I am a backpacker and that would let me have an all-in-one rig. I also like to use jumper dipoles so for the most part I have a resonant antenna with me and don't need the tuner function. However, for other portable operations it would be nice to have the tuner such as when I fly out for conferences or training - pack it all in a suit case and off I go!

An even better addition to 2m - make the receive capabilities cover the adjacent VHF spectrum, specifically up through 163mHz to cover the NOAA weather stations. This is a huge help after 2 days in the back country. Also, if the module can have repeater capabilities that would be great (probably a stupid question/suggestion as all all-mode 2m rigs do).

Steve, KC8QVO

Re: Internal tuner vs. 2m module?

Gary Gregory
Ron,

Did we not hear that the KX3 would have a remote 100W PA as well as an ATU capable of being put together and used as a remote unit such as in a vehicle?

I am fairly certain I read that.

73

Gary

VK4FD - Motorhome Mobile
Elecraft Equipment
K3 #679, KPA-500 #018
Living the dream!!!

  Don't forget that there is the Elecraft T1 ATU that can provide that
  external capability "off the shelf".

  Ron AC7AC

Re: Internal tuner vs. 2m module?

wayne burdick
We're planning to allow the ATU and transverter to both be installed at the same time.

73,
Wayne

----
http://www.elecraft.com

On Dec 4, 2011, at 7:50 PM, "Ron D'Eau Claire" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Don't forget that there is the Elecraft T1 ATU that can provide that
> external capability "off the shelf".
>
> Ron AC7AC

M0XDF
Now that is great news - thank you Wayne, et.al. for listening to those of us who wanted to do that and going the extra few miles to make that possible.
73 de M0XDF (K3 #174, P3 #108, KX3 #???)
--
A successful man is one who makes more money than a wife can spend. A
successful woman is one who can find such a man.

On 5 Dec 2011, at 04:36, Wayne Burdick wrote:

> We're planning to allow the ATU and transverter to both be installed at the same time.

Re: Internal tuner vs. 2m module?

Steve KC8QVO
wayne burdick wrote
We're planning to allow the ATU and transverter to both be installed at the same time.

73,
Wayne
I guess my quoting didn't work the first round...

In any event, That is great news on the 2m and tuner in the same box. Now I want one even more! I would be curious as to what the status is on the 2m module. I am guessing that is coming after the first few production runs.

Steve, KC8QVO