Interpreting Color Codes

K6TFZ
After having built a K2, KX1 and numerous other homebrew gear, I have  noted
by my own observations and comments of others some confusion as to  exactly
what colors are being observed on small parts, usually resistors and RF
chokes.

Having been in the printing business for some years, I can say that  color
perception is often skewed by the light used for viewing. Incandescent
lighting
seems to be the least accurate for determining the correct colors,
particularly
yellows, oranges, and browns. Many times I have used sunlight (if  available)
or sought out a fluorescent lamp (cool white with at least 5200K  temperature)
to properly interpret colors. When in doubt, I use a meter to confirm  the
value.

Geoff, K6TFZ

RE: Interpreting Color Codes

Ron D'Eau Claire-2
Geoff, K6TFZ, wrote:
I have  noted by my own observations and comments of others some confusion
as to  exactly what colors are being observed on small parts, usually
resistors and RF chokes...Incandescent lighting seems to be the least
accurate for determining the correct colors, particularly yellows, oranges,
and browns. Many times I have used sunlight (if  available) or sought out a
fluorescent lamp (cool white with at least 5200K  temperature) to properly
interpret colors. When in doubt, I use a meter to confirm the value.

-------------------

Yes, reading color bands is a growing problem and lighting plays a huge
role, especially as the color bands are made narrower and narrower on tiny
parts.

Incandescent light is very strong at the red end of the spectrum, making
reds more pronounced and blues look weaker.

Fluorescents have gotten a lot better in recent years, but all I have seen
still have a discontinuous spectrum (some wavelengths where they produce no
light at all) and a huge peak in output in the green part of the color
spectrum. That can make gold look yellow, for example.

The problem is that our eyesight has an automatic process that always
assumes the light we have is white, and all colors we see are adjusted
accordingly. When the source light is not uniformly "white", all the colors
we see are shifted accordingly.

Sunlight is ideal, but most of us build indoors and at night!

I use a good magnifier to see the colors as clearly as possible and, if in
doubt, check the part under both fluorescent and incandescent light. I also
check a lot of resistors for value - especially the ones with blue bodies.
The body color further obscures the color of the bands.

Inventorying is also an excellent idea. One can establish which part is
which by a process of elimination - matching up those that are obvious and
then sorting out what is left while referring to the parts list. If a color
is still in doubt, finding a known sample of the color often helps as I
suggested with chokes recently where a gold strip looked yellow. Comparing
that part with a similar part - especially with the same body color if
available - that has a known yellow stripe will often make the difference
clear.

Ron AC7AC

Re: Interpreting Color Codes

dmb@lightstream.net
A while ago, I purchased a flashlight from AES which uses four bright
white LED's to produce light. The color temperature of the light seems
to be very close to daylight, and the light, while extremely bright, is
also diffused, so it will brightly and evenly illuminate something
nearby (within a foot or two), but it's it's output drops rapidly beyond
that distance. It's small, and works great for trying to see around
inside equipment (the K2 for example), and I find it very helpful when
reading color bands on resistors and rf chokes, since the colors render
properly.

The flashight is sold under the name 'Lightwave', and it can be found on
page 148 of the Amateur Electronic Supply Fall/Winter 2004 catalog. It
may be available elsewhere, but I didn't look since the QTH is only
about 2 miles from AES store East of Cleveland. (a 'dangerously
tempting' place to live if one is a ham!) Their price is $29.99

73, Dale WA8SRA

>Geoff, K6TFZ, wrote:
>I have  noted by my own observations and comments of others some confusion
>as to  exactly what colors are being observed on small parts, usually
>resistors and RF chokes...Incandescent lighting seems to be the least
>accurate for determining the correct colors, particularly yellows, oranges,
>and browns. Many times I have used sunlight (if  available) or sought out a
>fluorescent lamp (cool white with at least 5200K  temperature) to properly
>interpret colors. When in doubt, I use a meter to confirm the value.

Re: Interpreting Color Codes

Vic K2VCO
[hidden email] wrote:

> After having built a K2, KX1 and numerous other homebrew gear, I have  noted
> by my own observations and comments of others some confusion as to  exactly
> what colors are being observed on small parts, usually resistors and RF
> chokes.

Many males, including myself, have a small degree of red-green color blindness.
  This manifests itself by seeing a red resistor band as brown, for example.
Poor lighting exacerbates this, and I have taken parts outdoors to sort them.
One of my daughters used to serve as my designated color reader when she was
only 2-1/2 years old!  It gave her a great feeling of importance to be able to
do something critical better than her dad.

Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA
http://www.qsl.net/k2vco

Re: Interpreting Color Codes

Stephen W. Kercel
It is worth mentioning that the female retina is generally more richly
endowed with rods and cones than the male retina. In fact, a small
percentage of women actually experience four primary colors.

In other words, for the male constructor it is always good practice to get
the female in your life to check the colors.

73,

Steve
AA4AK

At 08:22 AM 1/26/2005 -0800, you wrote:

>[hidden email] wrote:
>
>>After having built a K2, KX1 and numerous other homebrew gear, I have  noted
>>by my own observations and comments of others some confusion as to  exactly
>>what colors are being observed on small parts, usually resistors and RF
>>chokes.
>
>Many males, including myself, have a small degree of red-green color
>blindness.  This manifests itself by seeing a red resistor band as brown,
>for example. Poor lighting exacerbates this, and I have taken parts
>outdoors to sort them. One of my daughters used to serve as my designated
>color reader when she was only 2-1/2 years old!  It gave her a great
>feeling of importance to be able to do something critical better than her dad.
>
>--
>73,
>Vic, K2VCO
>Fresno CA
>http://www.qsl.net/k2vco

>Help: http://mailman.qth.net/subscribers.htm
>Elecraft web page: http://www.elecraft.com

Re: Interpreting Color Codes

ac0h
> In other words, for the male constructor it is always good practice to
> get the female in your life to check the colors.

That's just not going to happen at this QTH. Herself doesn't like the
time I spend on the rig in the first place.
One of this first thigns I bought when I decided I was going to do this
project was a floresent circular magnifier lamp. I don't have any
problems differentiating color codes. Sometimes, even with the
magnifier, I have to look more than twice at the markings on those small
caps to make sure I'm seeing what I think I'm seeing.

73,

R.Kevin Stover   ACØH

Re: Interpreting Color Codes

Folks,

Part of the blame for color confusion lies with the part manufacturer.  I
have many older resistors in my junkbox and the color bands are bright and
clear - these older color bands are saturated colors and easy to read at a
glance under most any lighting condition, so I know it is not my eyes
getting dim!!!.  Unfortunately though, I don't forsee the situation getting
any better since the component manufacturers primary market is to production
lines using automatic insertion devices, and for that market, any reasonable
marking will do the job, even if it is not 'people readable'.  Bearing
witness to this fact is the unmarked SMD capacitors.  We folks who have to
read the values manually have to take 'second seat' (or maybe even the rear
seat).

The best tool I have found for myself is a small lighted handheld magnifier
with fresh batteries - you can buy these for less than $5 at places like
Wal-Mart, Target, local drugstore, etc.  I use it for viewing the 'fine
print' on capacitors as well, and the only color I have trouble with is
violet and occasionally red/orange because many of the red pigments are not
well saturated, they are more 'bright orange' than an actual red - yes my
wife concurs and she has a keen color eye.

> After having built a K2, KX1 and numerous other homebrew gear, I have
> noted
> by my own observations and comments of others some confusion as to
> exactly
> what colors are being observed on small parts, usually resistors and RF
> chokes.
>
> Having been in the printing business for some years, I can say that  color
> perception is often skewed by the light used for viewing. Incandescent
> lighting
> seems to be the least accurate for determining the correct colors,
> particularly
> yellows, oranges, and browns. Many times I have used sunlight (if
> available)
> or sought out a fluorescent lamp (cool white with at least 5200K
> temperature)
> to properly interpret colors. When in doubt, I use a meter to confirm  the
> value.

Re: Interpreting Color Codes

Richard Klingensmith

And another suggestion is the Ott Task Lamp (Ott model number OTL13TCG). You
can view their complete line of lamps at www.ott-lite.com. This is a color
corrected light that you can even carry with you. In addition to trying to
figure out resistor color codes I tie trout and bass flys which requires
paying attention to subtle colors, this light helps. Along with the flip
down magnifier I've had pretty good luck so far.

Rick
WA3TUU

>From: "W3FPR - Don Wilhelm" <[hidden email]>
>To: <[hidden email]>
>Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Interpreting Color Codes
>Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 12:13:52 -0500
>
>Folks,
>
>Part of the blame for color confusion lies with the part manufacturer.  I
>have many older resistors in my junkbox and the color bands are bright and
>clear - these older color bands are saturated colors and easy to read at a
>glance under most any lighting condition, so I know it is not my eyes
>getting dim!!!.  Unfortunately though, I don't forsee the situation getting
>any better since the component manufacturers primary market is to
>production lines using automatic insertion devices, and for that market,
>any reasonable marking will do the job, even if it is not 'people
>readable'.  Bearing witness to this fact is the unmarked SMD capacitors.
>We folks who have to read the values manually have to take 'second seat'
>(or maybe even the rear seat).
>
>The best tool I have found for myself is a small lighted handheld magnifier
>with fresh batteries - you can buy these for less than $5 at places like
>Wal-Mart, Target, local drugstore, etc.  I use it for viewing the 'fine
>print' on capacitors as well, and the only color I have trouble with is
>violet and occasionally red/orange because many of the red pigments are not
>well saturated, they are more 'bright orange' than an actual red - yes my
>wife concurs and she has a keen color eye.
>
>73,
>Don W3FPR

Michael Neverdosky
W3FPR - Don Wilhelm wrote:
> Folks,
>
> Part of the blame for color confusion lies with the part manufacturer.
> I have many older resistors in my junkbox and the color bands are bright
> and clear - these older color bands are saturated colors and easy to
> read at a glance under most any lighting condition, so I know it is not
> my eyes getting dim!!!.

Long ago I shifted to using color codes for sorting only.
Before installing any resistor (and most caps and inductors) I measure
the value.

Yes, it adds to my building time but saves me lots of
rework/troubleshooting time.

michael N6CHV

--
"Why build JUST a Web site...
  when you COULD build a Web BUSINESS?"

Re: Interpreting Color Codes

k6dgw
> And another suggestion is the Ott Task Lamp (Ott model number > OTL13TCG).

FWIW:  My wife's hobby is needlepoint, which is, and I'm not making this
up, as expensive as ham radio can be.  (This has worked well for me
since we agreed long ago to an "equal hobby allowance" policy)  She has
one of these lights, and when I ask her to read color codes for me it's
always that light source she uses.  I can't give you a first person
account of it's value, however ... I'm colorblind and all the little
colored bands look pretty much alike to me.

Fortunately, on the K2, Elecraft supplied the resistors taped in the
order of installation.  I measured each one, but didn't have to hunt the
right one down.

73,

Fred K6DGW
Auburn CA CM98lw

Re: Interpreting Color Codes

Leigh L. Klotz Jr WA5ZNU
I have one of these and the transformer causes the K2 BFO modulation
problem.  I moved it to the right side of the K2 and it sems ok, but I
still don't transmit with it on.
Leigh WA5ZNU
>>  And another suggestion is the Ott Task Lamp (Ott model number >
>> OTL13TCG).

Re: Interpreting Color Codes

Stephen W. Kercel
Jim:

It appears that tetrachromacy in the human female comes in two different
flavors, "funky red" and "funky green."  You can visualize the rods and
cones for a particular color as a bandpass filter, just as we use the
concept at RF. (Small difference: instead of frequency, optickers think in
terms of wavelength, usually in units of nanometers.) Thus, the normal red
rods and cones are a bandpass filter with a peak at about 636 nanometers.
In a human female tetrachromat with "funky red" vision, the fourth set of
rods and cones are a bandpass filter with a peak shifted 4-7 nm from the
normal red. Similarly, in a female tetrachromat with "funky green" vision,
the fourth set of rods and cones are a bandpass filter with a peak shifted
4-7 nm from the response of the normal green.

Two filters differing by such a small shift in frequency response does not
look like it would have much effect, but the practical effect can be quite
dramatic. For example, the perceptual difference between the tetrochromat
and a person with "normal" vision is that the "funky red" tetrochromat can
consistently distinguish between shades of red-pink-orange that are look
exactly the same to people with normal color vision. (The fact that the
distinction in the spectra of these different shades is real can be tested
with optical spectral analysis instruments such as interferometers.)

One peer-reviewed discussion of tetrachromacy is in the following paper:

Richer color experience in observers with multiple photopigment opsin genes,
  Kimberly A. Jameson ;Susan M. Highnote ; Linda M. Wasserman
  Psychonomic Bulletin & Review      Volume: 8 Number: 2 Page: 244 -- 261

73,

Steve
AA4AK