It Works, but "Not Inst" Message

Christian Adamec
Hello,

Well, I got up to the power on test for K2 #4718 and it worked! Very
exciting. Prior to this, the only electronics that I had built were
Elecraft's noise generator and test oscilator, which I plan to use with
the K2.

The issue, though, is that when I tap the menu button or the display
button, "not inst" will flash for a second before the menu is
displayed. All tests checked out after power up, except the keyer,
since I don't have a paddle. Let me add that at this point, I am
missing one pushbutton switch, S16, which I am waiting on a replacement
for.

Is this message a problem or something to worry about? Like I said,
everything seems to be working just fine, except for this message that
flashes occaisionally. I couldn't find anything in the manual regarding
this.

Thanks,
Chris KC9GSV

Re: It Works, but "Not Inst" Message

Ingo Meyer DK3RED
Hello Christian,

> The issue, though, is that when I tap the menu button or the display
> button, "not inst" will flash for a second before the menu is displayed.
> All tests checked out after power up, except the keyer, since I don't
> have a paddle. Let me add that at this point, I am missing one
> pushbutton switch, S16, which I am waiting on a replacement for.

An not installed pushbutton is as good as an not switched pushbutton. No
problems with it.

First of all check the right orientation of the resistor pack RP1. I had
installed RP1 in the wrong direction and the results was very strange and
currios.

Then check the orientation of RP1 again. No, its no joke. Please do it.

Then check pins 3, 4 and 5 of the resistor pack RP1 on bottom of the PCB and
(!) on the top of the PCB. I think there is a solder bridge from pin 4 to 3
and 5. Pin 3 is the "DISPLAY" and pin 5 is the "MENU" and in the middle pin
4 is the "ANT 1/2" which is not installed in your K2 at the time. U2 is an
multiplex IC, so sometimes the bridge suggested the MCU U6 a switched on
display button or sometimes a switched on menue button (to be governed by
the U2 multiplexer status) or all seems to be OK.
--
72/73 de Ingo, DK3RED   Don't forget: the fun is the power!

[hidden email]   www.dk3red.homepage.t-online.de
    L-QRP-AG   #824   www.dl-qrp-ag.de
    QRP ARCI #11295   www.qrparci.org

Re: It Works, but "Not Inst" Message

Christian Adamec
Hello,

I would like to thank everyone for responding. Unfortunately, I still
do not have this problem solved. Very frustrating! After some more
poking around, here is what I can say about this. It only happens when
I press 'Menu', not when pressing 'Display'. It is intermittent,
although it happens more often than not. After pressing 'NB', it seems
to go away for a while. I have checked all my soldering on each board.
I could not find any solder bridges anywhere, nor any globs of solder
not on a pad. I checked the direction of all diodes and the are all
correct. Hmmmm...

Thanks,
Chris KC9GSV

On Feb 1, 2005, at 11:21 PM, Dale Wiese wrote:

> Chris,
>
> It was a while back, but I think I had this same issue.  The problem
> turned out to be a diode installed backwards on the control board.
>
> 73,
>
> Dale, N9XD
>

> On Jan 31, 2005, at 5:43 PM, Christian Adamec wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Well, I got up to the power on test for K2 #4718 and it worked! Very
>> exciting. Prior to this, the only electronics that I had built were
>> Elecraft's noise generator and test oscilator, which I plan to use
>> with the K2.
>>
>> The issue, though, is that when I tap the menu button or the display
>> button, "not inst" will flash for a second before the menu is
>> displayed. All tests checked out after power up, except the keyer,
>> since I don't have a paddle. Let me add that at this point, I am
>> missing one pushbutton switch, S16, which I am waiting on a
>> replacement for.
>>
>> Is this message a problem or something to worry about? Like I said,
>> everything seems to be working just fine, except for this message
>> that flashes occaisionally. I couldn't find anything in the manual
>> regarding this.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Chris KC9GSV

RE: It Works, but "Not Inst" Message

Don Wilhelm-3
Chris,

The 'not inst' message is normal when the NB or ANT1/2 bttons are tapped -
it is NOT normal for that message to appear when the MENU or DISPLAY buttons
are tapped or pressed.

First check the orientation of RP1 on the Front Panel board - the dot (or
stripe) on the R-PAK (RP1) must be at the pin 1 end (look for the round
solder pad at the pin 1 end - the rest are square pads).  After that, check
for any solder 'bridges' at the pins of RP1 and the pins of U2.  Also be
certain that RP1 is the correct value (100K - look for a  '104' somewhere
within the R-Pak labeling).  Check especially for shorts between pins 2 and
3 of RP1 and pins 4 and 5 of RP1 - a short between either or both of these
pins wouuld cause the symptoms you are reporting.

Since you say that it happens mainly when MENU is tapped, the short between
pins 2 and 3 are the most likely culprit - you may want to check this with
an ohmmeter.  If all is well, you should measure approximately 200k with one
probe on RP1 pin 2 and the other probe on RP1 pin 3 - if it is significantly
lower than 200k, you are on the path of the problem (short or high
resistance leakage path).

Bottom line - either something is shorted to something it should not be or
there is some sort of 'sneak path' reulting from incorrect orientation of
RP1. Refer to the schematic of the Front Panel for verification of my
analysis.

Again, thanks for all the responses. After receiving my S16 switch and
installing it, the message no longer appears. I did all the checks and
tests that you all suggested and there were no problems. Looks like the
missing switch was the problem.

Thanks,
Chris KC9GSV