K1 #2973 on the Air

TDM

K1 #2973 on the Air

TDM
Great to see K1s are still popular.  I'm looking to get a K1 or a Kx1.
 I was not sure how well the K1s were selling.  Can you tell me why
you selected the K1 rather than the Kx1?

Re: K1 #2973 on the Air

k6dgw
On 4/4/2011 3:51 PM, TDM wrote:
> Great to see K1s are still popular.  I'm looking to get a K1 or a Kx1.
>   I was not sure how well the K1s were selling.  Can you tell me why
> you selected the K1 rather than the Kx1?

I selected the KX1 because I already had built a K2 and I wanted a
"pocket sized radio" I could take on a Panama Canal cruise.  The K1 and
K2 for me were too much alike in size, weight, and basic capabilities.

K6DGW/MM through the Canal was a super trip for an engineer, not so much
for a ham [see www.foothill.net/~andreaj/Ham43.htm ], but I've since
used my KX1 on all sorts of field activities and summit activations, and
it is my radio of choice when I have much of a hike involved ... I'm a
little mobility challenged from some old injuries.

The K1 is a great radio, low current drain and typical "Elecraft-grade
RX," but with the little Li-Poly battery, my KX1 w/ATU and paddle,
weighs in at just over 0.6 lbs which is good in the Spartan Sprint and
on a hike-in.

YMMV

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the 2011 Cal QSO Party 1-2 Oct 2011
- www.cqp.org

Re: K1 #2973 on the Air

Eric Champine
Hey there.
For me I got the K1 over the KX1 because I could get it with the 4 bands and
if I wanted I could switch out the 4 band module and add another two band
module to give me a full 6 bands. It also had a built in speaker.
Hope that helps.

73 de W2EEC

Eric