K1-4 Ant Tuner Question

Vin Cortina
Hi everyone.

I have been on and off the list for a while, and I have just gotten back on, because I think I might finally be ready to get started on a K1.  I have one question for now (although, I am sure that number will increase within a month or so.  Due to limited $$$ up front, I am thinking of buying the K1-4 first, then acquiring the antenna tuner at a later date when I fall into a few more pieces of eight.  Is adding the AT well after the main radio is completed any more difficult or time consuming (read partial disassembly), or is it no different than having it all at the same time?

I assume it doesn't matter, but it would KILL me to have the K1 sitting here for months and not be able to assemble it.

Thanks for your attention.

Regards,

Vin  KR2F

Re: K1-4 Ant Tuner Question

Larry Makoski W2LJ
Vin,

That's exactly how I did it!  When I first got my K1, I was using it
with an Emtech ZM-2 tuner.  It was nice; but the AT sounded so nice!
That year Santa brought it for Christmas. I built it in one night and
did the install the same evening.  Talk about a piece of cake!  Once
again, the guys at Elecraft did a great job with the instructions and
installation was a snap.  And it works great, to boot!  I still have the
ZM-2 which I use with other QRP rigs; but the K1 with built in tuner is
primo.

73 de Larry W2LJ
http://www.qsl.net/w2lj

New KX(mas)1 parts count: 100%

john_k7fd

KX-1 nr 959 is out of the bag; all parts accounted for. Houston, we have
lift off!

Good job parts packer 'Christine' !!!

73 John K7FD

Re: K1-4 Ant Tuner Question

Sandy W5TVW
The latest permutation of the K1 is rigged for easy installation and
removal of the KAT1 tuner!  So you can build the K1, operate it,
and build and plug in the tuner when you are ready for it.
The power sensing network for the K1 alone is a resistive voltage
divider, there is a jumper strip (a la computer configuration
configuration jumpers) to go to the SWR bridge in the KAT1
to indicate power and VSWR when its installed.  There is
also a bare wire jumper used in one of the KAT1 sockets
that must be pulled when the KAT1 is plugged in.  The most
"piddley" part of the installation is keeping the spacers in place on
the long screws that mount the KAT1.  I solved this with
a couple of rubber band sections between screws and spacer
inside bore to retain the spacers on the screws when the KAT1
is removed, if needed to realign the 4 band board.  (None of the
adjustments are accessible on the 4 band card when the KAT1 is
piggy-backed on top of it.)

I enjoy my K1 very much!  The KAT1 is VERY handy in the field
and means one more piece of gear you don't have to tote around and
connect up, etc.  I am presently waiting for a 2 band board from
Elecraft to convert to 160 and 80 meter operation.  (The 160 meter band
is not an offered option, but is easily added to one position of an
extra two band card.  Elecraft has all the needed parts, toroid cores
EXCEPT for the 9.8 Mhz crystal, which presently must be ordered
from ICM or any reputable crystal manufacturer.)

73,
Sandy W5TVW
| I have been on and off the list for a while, and I have just gotten back on,
because I think I might finally be ready to get started on a K1.  I have one question
for now (although, I am sure that number will increase within a month or so.  Due to
limited $$$ up front, I am thinking of buying the K1-4 first, then acquiring the
antenna tuner at a later date when I fall into a few more pieces of eight.  Is adding
the AT well after the main radio is completed any more difficult or time consuming
(read partial disassembly), or is it no different than having it all at the same
time?

| I assume it doesn't matter, but it would KILL me to have the K1 sitting here for
months and not be able to assemble it.

| Thanks for your attention.
|
| Regards,
|

| Vin  KR2F
|
| Help: http://mailman.qth.net/subscribers.htm
| Elecraft web page: http://www.elecraft.com

Re: New KX(mas)1 parts count: 100%

John-479
Have a ball, John.  Santa left me a KX1 too.  Since I am retired, mine has
been built and it is working FB.  Like you, the KX1 didn't have a single
missing part nor did the 30M and ATU options.  I have to agree with you
about Christine.  I found her 'fortune cookie' pieces of paper in every bag
and envelope that I opened.  It is easy to see who does all the work at
Elecraft.  I'll bet Wayne and Eric spend most of their time with their feet
on the desk, drinking coffee, and eating doughnuts.

--
John   K7SVV
> KX-1 nr 959 is out of the bag; all parts accounted for. Houston, we have
> lift off!
>
> Good job parts packer 'Christine' !!!
>
> 73 John K7FD

WTB: K1

Kyle Chavis
I'm interested in purchasing a built K1, please reply with what you have and
price.
Thanks,
Kyle