K1 AF sidetone loudness problem ?

Roland_DF1OE
Last Year i built my k1 #3310 - i got one of the last 4-Band filter boards. With the k1 i had some fun as TF/DF1OE/p last year in iceland... Just built the k1 for this adventure with a tent and backpack.

I ve a little problem - may be it is quite normal, i do not know.
during sending cw the sidetone is very very loud - louder as it is during adjusting  ST_L and much louder than testing it with no cw HF transmission.

During transmission it gets louder after a time. Even if i put ST_L to 1 (one) i get a loud sidetone during cw hf transmission.
Any hints are appreciated.
Roland, df1oe
df1oe@live.de

Re: K1 AF sidetone loudness problem ?

Mike Morrow-3
Roland_DF1OE wrote:

> Last Year i built my k1 #3310...

Excellent choice!

> I ve a little problem - may be it is quite normal...

What you describe below is very abnormal.

> during sending cw the sidetone is very very loud - louder as it is during
> adjusting  ST_L and much louder than testing it with no cw HF transmission.
>
> During transmission it gets louder after a time. Even if i put ST_L to 1
> (one) i get a loud sidetone during cw hf transmission.

My first guess would be some disturbance at front panel board FP-U2,
the DAC which actually produces the sidetone.  The DAC uses Vdd from
the 6.0 vdc regulator FP-U4 as its reference voltage.  Perhaps you
have some RF intrusion or regulator load change during transmission
that is upsetting the regulated Vdd at pin 7 of FP-U2 that is coming
from regulator FP-U4.

Such regulators can become unstable if there is not a small capacitor
on the output, although the ZR78L06 is not supposed to need one.
Regardless, the FP board has such a capacitor (FP-C5, 0.01 uuF) mounted
on the "bottom" (back or rear) side of the FP board.  I would check
that it is in place, and properly soldered.

FWIW, here's the MAX518 data sheet:

 http://datasheets.maximintegrated.com/en/ds/MAX517-MAX519.pdf

Of course, perhaps it is something completely unrelated.  But it is
definitely abnormal.  This is what I'd check first.

73,
Mike / KK5F

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: K1 AF sidetone loudness problem ?

Roland,

I have never seen that kind of problem.  It does sound like something
may be corrupt in the EEPROM.
You may want to try resetting the K1 to factory defaults (which wipes
out your menu settings and replaces them with the stock factory defaults).
Before you do that reset, record all your menu settings so you can
restore them - but some such as the CAL OPF values will have to be done
from scratch.

Do know that the sidetone level on the K1 does vary with the setting of
the AF Gain control, so if you are change the AF Gain during
transmission, the sidetone level may increase/decrease with the AF
gain.  Still, a loud sidetone with SL L set to 1 should be very quiet.

If the reset does not correct it, I would first replace Front Panel U2,
next FP U1, and last FP U3.

On 1/9/2015 9:57 AM, Roland_DF1OE wrote:

> Last Year i built my k1 #3310 - i got one of the last 4-Band filter boards.
> With the k1 i had some fun as TF/DF1OE/p last year in iceland... Just built
> the k1 for this adventure with a tent and backpack.
>
> I ve a little problem - may be it is quite normal, i do not know.
> during sending cw the sidetone is very very loud - louder as it is during
> adjusting  ST_L and much louder than testing it with no cw HF transmission.
>
> During transmission it gets louder after a time. Even if i put ST_L to 1
> (one) i get a loud sidetone during cw hf transmission.
> Any hints are appreciated.
> Roland, df1oe
> [hidden email]

> Message delivered to [hidden email]

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: K1 AF sidetone loudness problem ?

Roland_DF1OE
Hi Don,
i did all the steps Mike suggested to me - some more e.g. resoldering some suspicious pads. The K1 is still in the workbench. I will start building the internal atu, but will first fix this issue.

Before resetting the radio i will put a small audio/video file on the internet, and give you both a note for examining it.
72, 73 Roland, DF1OE

AW: K1 AF sidetone loudness problem ?

Roland_DF1OE

Hi Don,

finally i did the reset of the radio and all the alignment procedures again. I managed to get the loudness of the sidetone ok (but i am still thinking one oft he T/ R diodes openes slowly ), but as a result now i have a strong „burst“ at every tone (only if hf is on). Even if the sidetone is off and hf is produced the burst is heard – it grows loude with the af gain, so it is produced before the AF amplifier – hope so.

You can see/hear it in this little video:

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=FBF8BAC7649FCD9B!856&authkey=!AJAxQrXx4ZPblzA&ithint=video%2cMOV

The burst is vy loud and a pain even in the headphones – so i keep on searching… and will look on the frontpanel U2 and so on…

Vy 73 Roland, DF1OE

I have never seen that kind of problem.  It does sound like something
may be corrupt in the EEPROM.
You may want to try resetting the K1 to factory defaults (which wipes
out your menu settings and replaces them with the stock factory defaults).
Before you do that reset, record all your menu settings so you can
restore them - but some such as the CAL OPF values will have to be done
from scratch.

Do know that the sidetone level on the K1 does vary with the setting of
the AF Gain control, so if you are change the AF Gain during
transmission, the sidetone level may increase/decrease with the AF
gain.  Still, a loud sidetone with SL L set to 1 should be very quiet.

If the reset does not correct it, I would first replace Front Panel U2,
next FP U1, and last FP U3.

On 1/9/2015 9:57 AM, Roland_DF1OE wrote:

> Last Year i built my k1 #3310 - i got one of the last 4-Band filter boards.
> With the k1 i had some fun as TF/DF1OE/p last year in iceland... Just built
> the k1 for this adventure with a tent and backpack.
>
> I ve a little problem - may be it is quite normal, i do not know.
> during sending cw the sidetone is very very loud - louder as it is during
> adjusting  ST_L and much louder than testing it with no cw HF transmission.
>
> During transmission it gets louder after a time. Even if i put ST_L to 1
> (one) i get a loud sidetone during cw hf transmission.
> Any hints are appreciated.
> Roland, df1oe
> [hidden email]

> Message delivered to [hidden email]

Message delivered to [hidden email]

http://elecraft.365791.n2.nabble.com/K1-AF-sidetone-loudness-problem-tp7596933p7596958.html

To unsubscribe from K1 AF sidetone loudness problem ?, click here.
NAML

Re: K1 AF sidetone loudness problem ?

Don Wilhelm-4
Roland,

Your suspicion about the T/R switch *may* be correct, but before you
make any changes, check the menu for the T-R setting.  The default is 50
ms.  If you are using a small value, the receiver may be unmuting
quickly enough that you actually hear a bit of the residual RF.

I was not able to view your video - OneDrive just keeps 'spinning its
wheels' as if it is loading, but I waited for over 5 minutes (two times)
and it still did not load.

On 1/11/2015 12:11 PM, Roland_DF1OE wrote:

> Hi Don,
>
> finally i did the reset of the radio and all the alignment procedures again.
> I managed to get the loudness of the sidetone ok (but i am still thinking
> one oft he T/ R diodes openes slowly ), but as a result now i have a strong
> "burst" at every tone (only if hf is on). Even if the sidetone is off and hf
> is produced the burst is heard - it grows loude with the af gain, so it is
> produced before the AF amplifier - hope so.

Message delivered to [hidden email]

AW: K1 AF sidetone loudness problem ?

Roland_DF1OE

Hi Don,

thanks for Your reply – midwhile i found an other suggestion too in the mailing-list. Q10 and Q11 j309 and 2n7000 where changed and the click went away.

…so i have a lot of possibilitys to work on hi. I will keep you informest. The k1 4 band is a vy nice radio – i wish the kx3 has ist form factor (but i know it is only possible by shrinking our fingertips.

Roland, DF1OE, www.df1oe.de, [hidden email], www.baerenfunk.com

Your suspicion about the T/R switch *may* be correct, but before you
make any changes, check the menu for the T-R setting.  The default is 50
ms.  If you are using a small value, the receiver may be unmuting
quickly enough that you actually hear a bit of the residual RF.

I was not able to view your video - OneDrive just keeps 'spinning its
wheels' as if it is loading, but I waited for over 5 minutes (two times)
and it still did not load.

On 1/11/2015 12:11 PM, Roland_DF1OE wrote:

> Hi Don,
>
> finally i did the reset of the radio and all the alignment procedures again.
> I managed to get the loudness of the sidetone ok (but i am still thinking
> one oft he T/ R diodes openes slowly ), but as a result now i have a strong
> "burst" at every tone (only if hf is on). Even if the sidetone is off and hf
> is produced the burst is heard - it grows loude with the af gain, so it is
> produced before the AF amplifier - hope so.

Message delivered to [hidden email]

http://elecraft.365791.n2.nabble.com/K1-AF-sidetone-loudness-problem-tp7596933p7596999.html

To unsubscribe from K1 AF sidetone loudness problem ?, click here.
NAML

Fixed: K1 AF sidetone loudness proble

Roland_DF1OE
Hello, i got it fixed.
The fix was described earlier in this thread - replacement of Q10 (2N7000 Mosfet) and Q11 (J309 JFET) on the RF Board did it for me. By the way: The J309 seems to be discontinued..
Thanks all
Roland, DF1OE

Re: Fixed: K1 AF sidetone loudness proble

wayne burdick
Administrator
There are thousands of J309s in stock spread across several different vendors. So while the part is discontinued, we've had no trouble obtaining plenty of stock for our products that use them, going well into the future.

73,
Wayne
N6KR