K1: Band options

Stephen G4SJP
Although I haven't received it yet, I have just picked up a very well spec'd
K1 on ebay.  It has the both the KFL1-4 (40/30/20/17 and 15m crystal) and
the KFL1-2 which is for 40/20.  I know that the two boards can co-exist to
produce a six band transceiver - or at least that's how I read it, but
clearly in my case there would be no benefit since 40/20 are already there
on the four band board.  I am wondering what would be involved in modifying
the two band board for 80/15 - that seems to be an option at build time.

Any advice gratefully received!

73 Stephen G4SJP

Re: K1: Band options

Paul Kirley
To modify K1 2-band modules, first buy parts for the desired bands at
http://www.elecraft.com/order_form_parts.htm#K1 Parts

Then change (only) the necessary parts on the 2-band module.  For 80, I
believe that you have to modify the main K1 board as well.

You will need the K1 manual to set up the new bands when you finish
soldering.

73, Paul W8TM

Re: K1: Band options

Stephen G4SJP
All,

Thanks for the clarification about the boards, I had completely misread what
I saw on the Elecraft website, thinking that I could have both installed at
the same time, stupid really!
I'd rather have 17m than 15m, so I shall modify the 2 band board for 80m and
15m I think.  I shall look into the main board modification for 80m, I'll
download a manual from the website later.

Most grateful to you all, thread closed.  The K1 should be here tomorrow, I
hope the K3/P3 don't get jealous!

73, Stephen G4SJP

Re: K1: Band options

Michael Babineau-2
Stephen :

You can either have a KFL-4 OR a KFL-2 in the K1, not both at the same time.

Swapping the boards involves opening the case, and removing the ATU (if present)
before you can get at the band board. This process requires the removal and reinstallation
of a few screws so it is probably not the sort of thing that you want to do on the fly, in the field.

Michael VE3WMB

>From: Stephen Prior <[hidden email]>
>Date: September 19, 2011 11:15:17 AM EDT
>To: Elecraft <[hidden email]>
>Subject: [Elecraft] K1: Band options

>Although I haven't received it yet, I have just picked up a very well spec'd
>K1 on ebay.  It has the both the KFL1-4 (40/30/20/17 and 15m crystal) and
>the KFL1-2 which is for 40/20.  I know that the two boards can co-exist to
>produce a six band transceiver - or at least that's how I read it, but
>clearly in my case there would be no benefit since 40/20 are already there
>on the four band board.  I am wondering what would be involved in modifying
>the two band board for 80/15 - that seems to be an option at build time.

>Any advice gratefully received!

>73 Stephen G4SJP

Re: K1: Band options

w5tvw
I have a K1 with a 4 band board for 40/30/20/15.  Also built a two band
board for 160 and 80 meters.  This isn't a normally kitted option, but it is
easy to do with the two band board.  Elecraft has ALL the parts to do the
160 meter band EXCEPT the crystal, which in my case I bought from
International Crystals.  It covers 1.8-1.95 (about) and works great.  I also
have a dual band 80/40 board which stays in the K1 usually thru the winter.

73,
Sandy W5TVW

Although I haven't received it yet, I have just picked up a very well spec'd
K1 on ebay.  It has the both the KFL1-4 (40/30/20/17 and 15m crystal) and
the KFL1-2 which is for 40/20.  I know that the two boards can co-exist to
produce a six band transceiver - or at least that's how I read it, but
clearly in my case there would be no benefit since 40/20 are already there
on the four band board.  I am wondering what would be involved in modifying
the two band board for 80/15 - that seems to be an option at build time.

Any advice gratefully received!

73 Stephen G4SJP

-----
No virus found in this message.

Re: K1: Band options

Stephen  Prior
All,

I have just had my original reply rejected, so I hope this one gets
throughŠŠŠ.