K1 KAT1 ATU is ending w/P L O

Petr, OK1RP/M0SIS
Hi all,

I am sorry to bother you over here...

My daddy Jul, OK1SP is using intensively K1 these days (until his K2 light repairing will be finished by myself) and he reported to me last week that his K1 is showing P L O after KAT1 tunning sequence on some bands.

I found this info in manual "If you see P L O on the display during any mode that should display SWR, you probably have power set too low to obtain a stable SWR reading. Power is automatically reduced to 1.5 watts in all SWR-reading modes, so there’s usually no need to set power below this level manually, unless you’re operating “QRPp” (very low power). In this case, set the power to about 1 to 2 watts for tune-up purposes, then decrease it for operation."

The problem is that power is set to 5-7W all the time. It appears just time to time even although there is no change in antennas setup, feed line etc. The antenna is 18m random wire at 15m height, as good as possible grounding using copper strip house/earth ground, 9:1 balun is used. The feed line is around 1m of good soldered coaxial cable w/BNCs. It is appeared after much longer tunning sequence than normal...

I will be happy for ideas.

73 - Petr, OK1RP
K3 #778
K2 #4800
73 - Petr, OK1RP
"Apple & Elecraft freak"
B:http://ok1rp.blogspot.com
MeWe: https://bit.ly/2HGPoDx
MeWe: https://bit.ly/2FmwvDt

Re: K1 KAT1 ATU is ending w/P L O

Peter Wollan-2
When I get this message, it's always because I've turned power off so I can
practice code.  This is a band-specific setting, I think ....

     Peter W0LLN

On Mon, May 18, 2015 at 6:07 AM, ok1rp <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am sorry to bother you over here...
>
> My daddy Jul, OK1SP is using intensively K1 these days (until his K2 light
> repairing will be finished by myself) and he reported to me last week that
> his K1 is showing P L O after KAT1 tunning sequence on some bands.

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: K1 KAT1 ATU is ending w/P L O

Petr,

LO P indicates Low Power, and if the actual power output is less than
1.5 watts when a TUNE is done, that is the message that will be displayed.
When that happens, it is quite likely that the antenna tuning did not
complete correctly.

The first course of action is to check the menu OUT parameter to see if
it is 1.5 or greater, and do another TUNE.
If that does not correct it (eliminate the message), then there may be a
fault with the K1 which is causing low output power.
In that case, after setting the OUT parameter and trying the TUNE, check
the OUT parameter again - if it has been changed to something lower than
what it was set to, that is an indication that the K1 is not capable of
producing the proper power output.  The OUT parameter will be reset to
the actual power output.

One thing that should be checked before doing the above is to make
certain the jumper on the 3 pin header next to the BNC jack is set
correctly.  With the KAT1 installed, it must be in the KAT position in
order for the MCU to properly measure the power output.