K1 calibration question.

Gil G.
Hello Everyone,

This is my first post to the reflector :-)

I just completed a K1 and managed not to fry anything..
After calibrating the frequency display on 20m, I thought it would be automatically correct on 40m.. Well, tonight I could hear W1AW very well on both bands, but 40m was off. I recalibrated on 40m (7,047.5) and to my relief, it didn't affect 20m. So now, I get it on both x.047.5, great. My 40m band now starts at 7,001.8 and 20m at 13,995.5 (I have 175Khz range). I assume the difference is normal..?

Thanks. Have a great week-end,

Gil.
--
http://radiopreppers.com

Re: K1 calibration question.

Mike Morrow-3

Hi Gil,

Welcome to the list, and congratulations on completing one of the best small QRP sets ever designed.

What you report is normal.  Each heterodyne crystal on the filter board will be a few kHz plus or minus the nominal frequency of BAND LOW END plus 8.000 MHz.  So the OPF cal must be performed for each band.  The result is stored for each BAND in the front panel EEPROM, which allows multiple filter boards for different bands to be swapped in with the previously stored OPF data for each BAND recalled in the front panel board and put into effect when you assign b1 through b2 (or b4) the appropriate ham band.

I always recommend the four-band filter board, which has superior filtering.  Also, unlike the KX1, the K1 is capable of excellent performance on 15m and 17m.  These bands are fantastic QRP bands for the next several years as solar cycle 24 activity increases.

73,
Mike / KK5F

>This is my first post to the reflector :-)
>
>I just completed a K1 and managed not to fry anything..
>After calibrating the frequency display on 20m, I thought it would be automatically correct on 40m.. Well, tonight I could hear W1AW very well on both bands, but 40m was off. I recalibrated on 40m (7,047.5) and to my relief, it didn't affect 20m. So now, I get it on both x.047.5, great. My 40m band now starts at 7,001.8 and 20m at 13,995.5 (I have 175Khz range). I assume the difference is normal..?
>
>Thanks. Have a great week-end,
>
>Gil.
>--
>http://radiopreppers.com
>Post: mailto:[hidden email]

Re: K1 calibration question.

Gil G.
Thank you Mike.

I would get the four band module if it had 10m (I might still). I have a PAR end-fed dipole for 40/20/10, so it would be great to use the same antenna for three bands. I have seen that 10m can be done on the K1. I guess that with a wire and ATU I could cover four bands...

Gil.
--
http://radiopreppers.com

On Jun 16, 2012, at 12:09 AM, Mike Morrow wrote:

> Hi Gil,
>
> Welcome to the list, and congratulations on completing one of the best small QRP sets ever designed.
>
> What you report is normal.  Each heterodyne crystal on the filter board will be a few kHz plus or minus the nominal frequency of BAND LOW END plus 8.000 MHz.  So the OPF cal must be performed for each band.  The result is stored for each BAND in the front panel EEPROM, which allows multiple filter boards for different bands to be swapped in with the previously stored OPF data for each BAND recalled in the front panel board and put into effect when you assign b1 through b2 (or b4) the appropriate ham band.
>
> I always recommend the four-band filter board, which has superior filtering.  Also, unlike the KX1, the K1 is capable of excellent performance on 15m and 17m.  These bands are fantastic QRP bands for the next several years as solar cycle 24 activity increases.

Re: K1 calibration question.

Don Wilhelm-4
Gil,

You cannot do both 20 meters and 10 meters on the 4 band board.  The Low
pass filter for the 2 higher frequency bands is shared, so if the LPF
were to pass 10 meters, the 2nd harmonic of 20 meters would not be
suppressed.

If you use the 2 band board, the Low Pass Filter is dedicated to a
single band, so that shared problem does not occur.

The 2nd problem with 10 meters on the K1 is finding a fundamental mode
crystal that will operate at 36 MHz.

On 6/16/2012 8:26 AM, Gil G. wrote:
> Thank you Mike.
>
> I would get the four band module if it had 10m (I might still). I have a PAR end-fed dipole for 40/20/10, so it would be great to use the same antenna for three bands. I have seen that 10m can be done on the K1. I guess that with a wire and ATU I could cover four bands...
>
> Gil.
> --
> http://radiopreppers.com

Re: K1 calibration question.