K1 goes QRO !

Martin.Evans

Hi folks, the K1 is my only rig (I've been licensed only 18 months) and I
have been enjoying the delights of HF QRP and CW, however I do have an old
TS520. It is very sick and I don't have the time or inclination to fix it
(the K1  is more than good enough for me) but the bomb proof driver and PA
is fully functional. So over Xmas I have made various mods to the driver
and control circuits and now have the facility to either run the K1 on it's
own or at the flick of a switch use it to drive the TS520 up to 100W. QRO
on the cheap hi. I'm quite chuffed at having modern micro p equipment
working with the old valve (tube) amps a real hybrid. I have to sacrifice
auto CW break in but I'm not too fussed about that.

One question though, do I need to worry about any increase in harmonics or
alteration of the keying waveshape by running the K1 signal through the
TS520? I've looked at the output on a scope and it looks clean to me but I
don't have a spectrum analyser.

All the best for the New Year
73's
Martin
M0KWV
K1 No 1534

Why not take a look at our Web site?
http://www.simoncarves.com

The information in this email and any attachments may contain
privileged and/or confidential information intended solely for
the use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed.
If the reader of this email is not the intended addressee, or the
employee or agent responsible to deliver it to the addressee,
me by telephone or email and delete all copies immediately.

Re: K1 goes QRO !

S55M
The best way to be shure abt possible problems (better than spect. analy.)
is to use a separate reciever and check Your transmision.Do not overload it
(attenuator or enough small ant on it) and You will hear results...
The best solutions are not always the most expensive ones....

GL es Best DX
S55M-Adi
> Hi folks, the K1 is my only rig (I've been licensed only 18 months) and I
> have been enjoying the delights of HF QRP and CW, however I do have an old
> TS520. It is very sick and I don't have the time or inclination to fix it
> (the K1  is more than good enough for me) but the bomb proof driver and PA
> is fully functional. So over Xmas I have made various mods to the driver
> and control circuits and now have the facility to either run the K1 on
it's

> own or at the flick of a switch use it to drive the TS520 up to 100W. QRO
> on the cheap hi. I'm quite chuffed at having modern micro p equipment
> working with the old valve (tube) amps a real hybrid. I have to sacrifice
> auto CW break in but I'm not too fussed about that.
>
> One question though, do I need to worry about any increase in harmonics or
> alteration of the keying waveshape by running the K1 signal through the
> TS520? I've looked at the output on a scope and it looks clean to me but I
> don't have a spectrum analyser.
>
> All the best for the New Year
> 73's
> Martin
> M0KWV
> K1 No 1534
>

> Why not take a look at our Web site?
> http://www.simoncarves.com

> The information in this email and any attachments may contain
> privileged and/or confidential information intended solely for
> the use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed.
> If the reader of this email is not the intended addressee, or the
> employee or agent responsible to deliver it to the addressee,
> you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or
> copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.
> If you have received this communication in error, please notify
> me by telephone or email and delete all copies immediately.

Re: K1 goes QRO !

Vic K2VCO
[hidden email] wrote:

> One question though, do I need to worry about any increase in harmonics or
> alteration of the keying waveshape by running the K1 signal through the
> TS520? I've looked at the output on a scope and it looks clean to me but I
> don't have a spectrum analyser.

The simplest rule is "don't increase the output of the K1 past the point at
which the output of the 520 stops increasing or past 100 watts, whichever is less"

The 520's amplifier stages are supposed to be linear, so you simply want to
avoid overdriving them.  If you drive one of them into class C, you will see a
sharpening of the keying and of course more harmonics will be generated.  The
scope can tell you about the keying, and I would assume that if you follow the
rule above you will be OK with harmonics as well.

Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA
http://www.qsl.net/k2vco