K1 -: internal tuner or external T1 tuner?

K1 -: internal tuner or external T1 tuner?

Brian Pepperdine

Hi all.
With the K1, is it better or equal to have the internal tuner built and installed internally in the K1 or is there a performance factor (better?) to use the external T1 tuner?

Thought I would ask and get something ordered before the price changes.

tnx
Brien
VE3VAW

Re: K1 -: internal tuner or external T1 tuner?

Rick Dettinger-3
Brian-
The internal tuner is good and the external tuner is better and can be
used with other QRP rigs.  Also, if you want to change filter boards
frequently, the internal tuner has to be removed to change the filter
boards.  This doubles the work.

73,

Rick Dettinger    K7MW

On Sep 4, 2009, at 11:42 AM, Brian Pepperdine wrote:

> Hi all.
> With the K1, is it better or equal to have the internal tuner built
> and installed internally in the K1 or is there a performance factor
> (better?) to use the external T1 tuner?
>
> Thought I would ask and get something ordered before the price
> changes.
>
> tnx
> Brien
> VE3VAW

Re: K1 -: internal tuner or external T1 tuner?

AD6XY
I was wondering this myself. The T1 would go well with the K1. The whole package is bigger - but not by a lot!

The T1 appears to have 3 more Ls and 3 more Cs so can probably match a wider range of bits of wire. I think I would go for that unless there was a very good reason not to.

With a more powerful radio the inclusion of an auto ATU is a real plus. With radios like the K1 it is probably much better to tune the antenna to get the most from the limited power, and then you don't need an ATU.

I am still tempted to order one. It would work with my FT817s,  but I already have the KXV144 on order and restraint is needed. Will the price increases be that severe? Will the $/£ ratio be better next month?

Rick Dettinger-3 wrote
Brian-
The internal tuner is good and the external tuner is better and can be
used with other QRP rigs.  Also, if you want to change filter boards
frequently, the internal tuner has to be removed to change the filter
boards.  This doubles the work.

73,

Rick Dettinger    K7MW

On Sep 4, 2009, at 11:42 AM, Brian Pepperdine wrote:

> Hi all.
> With the K1, is it better or equal to have the internal tuner built
> and installed internally in the K1 or is there a performance factor
> (better?) to use the external T1 tuner?
>
> Thought I would ask and get something ordered before the price
> changes.
>
> tnx
> Brien
> VE3VAW

Re: K1 -: internal tuner or external T1 tuner?

w5tvw
I have an internal K1 tuner and a T1 tuner.  The T1 has a much larger
impedance range and will match stranger loads than the KAT1.

The big advantage of the KAT1 is that it is an internal pcb that is always
there and it also will "remember" settings for each band on the same antenna
so you can switch between 40/30/20 and 15 without having to retune again.

Generally, I use the T1 more often now than the built-in KAT-1.  If I was
repeating the rig again, I'd opt for a T1 rather than the builti-in KAT-1.

73,

Sandy W5TVW
K1 #1178

> With the K1, is it better or equal to have the internal tuner built and
> installed internally in the K1 or is there a performance factor (better?)
> to use the external T1 tuner?
>
> Thought I would ask and get something ordered before the price changes.
>
> tnx
> Brien
> VE3VAW

05:51:00

Re: K1 -: internal tuner or external T1 tuner?

Curt
I own a K1 with the internal tuner, added for working parkbench portable.
It makes for a nice package.  When working from home QTH, am usually using
the ZM2 ( or BLT) instead.  I've actually gotten to perfer manual to
automatic tuners.  So, on balance, the cost of the internal tuner probably
isn't justified for me.

Another downside, to work on the filter board or replace with another one,
seem to recall having to reinstall a resistor after removing the tuner.  Am
going to be doing that soon because my 15M output is only 1.5 watts.  So
dealing with the tuner is going to be somewhat of a problem.

BTW, have found the K1 to be one of the best rigs I own. At my vacation
home, three QRO rigs ( a Drake, a Ten Tec, and an Icom ) sit idle while I
use the K1 powered by a gel-cel to work QRP.  There, am using the station
MFJ versatuner, so once again the internal tuner is idle.

GL & 72 Curt KB5JO

Re: K1 -: internal tuner or external T1 tuner?

Jim AB3CV
I like the T1 as it can be used with any rig and is easily remoted when the
high VSWR feedline can't be run all the way to the tuner.

jim ab3cv