K1 out on the Appalachian Trail

WB3AAL
Hello,

 Today 22 May 2010 I will be going out onto the Appalachian
Trail to give my Elecraft K1 radio some exercise.

I will be one of about a dozen Polar Bears out on the trails
having some fun with our portable radios.

The PB Ops that will be out on the trails can be found at:
http://www.n3epa.org/Pages/2010%20PBSPE.htm

The list of official Polar Bears and their assigned numbers
can be found at:
http://www.n3epa.org/Pages/PolarBear.htm

I will be adding QSO's onto my 1,177 QSO's from the AT.
Still looking for MT and HI for a WAS from the AT. This week
has been a long hard work week and I hope to enjoy some long
good QSO's with my fellow QRP'ers on CW HF Bands.

72,
Ron Polityka
WB3AAL
Polar Bear #1
K1 - SN 01011

CW TX in SSB mode

Gregg W6IZT
I just received my K3 back from the factory for repairs. I am unable to get
the K3 to TX CW while in SSB mode. Is there a setting to enable this that I
am not aware of?

Gregg
W6IZT

Re: CW TX in SSB mode

Mike Cox
CONFIG --> CW WGHT
Tap 1 to toggle CW in SSB mode on/off

On 5/22/2010 9:05 AM, Gregg W6IZT wrote:

> I just received my K3 back from the factory for repairs. I am unable to get
> the K3 to TX CW while in SSB mode. Is there a setting to enable this that I
> am not aware of?
>
> Gregg
> W6IZT

Re: CW TX in SSB mode

Cookie
The short answer to that is YES, which seems like a flip answer, but the truth is that I can't remember how to do it either.  I turned mine on a while back and have not used the command since.  Maybe someone that remembers will remind us.
 Willis 'Cookie' Cooke
K5EWJ

________________________________

Re: CW TX in SSB mode

Matt Zilmer
CW in SSB is mentioned in the Owner's Manual.  See the CONFIG menu
table (around p54) under CW WGHT.

It's also in the OM index.

73,
matt W6NIA

On Sat, 22 May 2010 08:12:13 -0700 (PDT), you wrote:

>The short answer to that is YES, which seems like a flip answer, but the truth is that I can't remember how to do it either.  I turned mine on a while back and have not used the command since.  Maybe someone that remembers will remind us.
> Willis 'Cookie' Cooke
>K5EWJ
>

>________________________________

Re: K1 out on the Appalachian Trail

Fred Atchley
Ron, GL with your K1 on the trail. I'll listen for you tonight on 40M. The
XYL and I visited the start of the AT (Georgia) 2 weeks ago. There were
reports of lots of Black bear activity. Campers were told to hang their food
high in a tree (at least 12 feet up and 8 feet from the tree trunk). 73,
Fred, AE6IC, K3 2241

Re: K1 out on the Appalachian Trail

WB3AAL
Hello,

  Before I departed the home QTH for the Appalachian Trail I
took one last look at the weather radar. I was glad I did
that when I did because I would have been driving into rain
and I would have not gotten out on the AT at all today. So I
headed towards the East in PA land.

 I arrived at the trail head parking lot around 14:30 UTC. I
have hiked thru this area about two years ago but I did not
remember if there were any good operating locations. I hiked
South on the Appalachian Trail with out my gear for about 1
mile. No good operating sites and I was going down in
elevation. I hiked back to my car and put the back pack on
and headed North. I hiked in around 3/4 of a mile and found
a nice spot to setup.

 I started calling CQ on 14.060 around 15:30 UTC.  I did not
have any luck. I tuned around the band and I did not hear
too many signals on the CW portion of the band. I went over
to 7.040 and I heard Pierre de VE2PID calling CQ. We had a
nice chat before the QSB was playing with my signal. After
Pierre and I signed I did hear a couple of stations sending
just their call. Since Pierre was calling CQ on the freq. I
moved up to 7.042 and called CQ. I worked Art de K8CIT in
Hillman, MI. We had a nice chat until Art said he had to go
QRT due to the heavy QRN in his area.

 At this point in time I took a few pictures and had my
snack. I could not find any Salmon to eat at 1,400 feet in
elevation. So I had what the cousin black bears eat, dried
berries and fruit. I will post a picture later.

 I called CQ on 15m for a while, I tired but there was no
signals. I started calling CQ on 14.060 again and I thought
I felt some rain drops. So while I was calling CQ I turn on
my cell phone to see if I had a signal. I did so, I checked
the radar and I seen a large dark green  patch moving in my
direction. Then I worked Steve de NU7T in NV. He was running
900 mW into a beam. Great signal Steve but the QSB seemed to
be the spoiler today.

 I packed up and hiked back out to my car. While driving
down off the mountain the skies open up and it started to
rain. What timing. I did not make many QSO's today but I did
get out onto the trail and made 3 contacts and that is
better than making no contacts.

 I did notice one thing while I was out on the Appalachian
Trail today. There were a lot of women hiking in groups or
by them selves. They were not out for a day hike because
they had large back packs on with gear hanging off the
packs. One group of women had way too much perfume on and
that could mean trouble for them over night.

 If you were looking for me, I want to thank you for taking
the time to do so.

1,180 QSO's from the AT.

72 and Thanks,
Ron Polityka