K1 praise

Curt
This is probably off topic, seeing as how most topics are now K3 or KX3.

Still, just had to praise my K1...
Again, this Saturday morning, turned K1-4 s/n 2258 to 15M and started working EU
with 4 watts to a center-fed doublet.  In about 15 minutes, Croatia, England, and Russia.
If this weekend is anything like last, will likely work 10 other countries or more.

I built this rig several years ago, including the internal tuner to use for parkbench portable.
Since completion, I can't imagine how many QSOs have made with this little rig. I am always
amazed to answer a CQ using less than 5 watts and receive a response from someone
thousands of miles away.  I own a number of other QRP rigs, including a K2, but the
little K1's simplicity and capability always draw me to use it on the weekends.

72, KB5JO

Re: K1 praise

Doug Turnbull
    I do not think the K1 is at all off topic.   I am using two K3s here but
having seen the wee K1 at Dayton am now fascinated by it and playing around
with the idea of purchasing one new or used.   I would be very interested in
hearing how the receiver is and how stable the VFO is or is it Xtal
controlled.   It is so small that it seems amazing that one can do so much
with it.   Perhaps the K3, KX3, P3 and KPA 500 have left the wee K1 in the
shade for too long.   I might use it with a large Yagi and this would be
cheating but the K1 pulls at the heart if it has any type of performance at
all and being from the Elecraft stable it must be reasonably good.

     Perhaps I need to do a web search for reviews but this forum is not a
bad place for seeking comment on Elecraft product.   I find myself working
more K3 users all the time.

              73 Doug EI2CN

Re: K1 praise

Michael Byrd
Doug,

I think you would be happy with the K1.

I am using K1 number 583 which I built and have completed DXCC on 40 meters with a vertical antenna. Originally the K1 was two bands only but I bought the four band board when it was released. The only other addition was the noise blanker which has stopped working. I have another noise blanker board ready to go in soon.

I did all of the updates and modifications without any problems. My K1 is stable and very reliable. I did replace the main tuning (10 turn pot) with a higher grade product with a metal shaft. I'm glad I did that, the old pot with the plastic shaft was shaky and the frequency would jump if not careful. The new pot makes the radio seem very solid.

I have used the K1 on 40, 30, 17 and some 20 meters. I have QSLs from a lot of DX worked. My favorite was to work other QRPers on 40. 40 has changed a lot for QRP stations and they are no longer in one area. It was fun to listen around 7040 as there was a lot of activity. One late night, I heard a lot of EU QRP stations working 7030. I called for quite some time but never got an answer, which shows the receiver works pretty well.

True, the K1 has taken a back seat to other Elecraft radios, a fact I do not understand. I have truly enjoyed my K1, the building and many hours operating. I have stalked DX and worked contests with success. As a more than casual user, I can recommend the K1 to someone that wants to relive the thrill of ham radio.

73, Mike AC4UR

Re: K1 praise

Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ
Administrator
The K1 (and KX1) definietely have not taken a back seat to our other radios. :-) Even the K2 is still selling well after the introduction of the K3.

We are still selling a good number of these each month. These are unique and timeless designs that have a lot of appeal.

73,
Eric  WA6HHQ

www.elecraft.com
_..._

On Aug 27, 2011, at 10:15 AM, Michael Byrd <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Doug,
>
> I think you would be happy with the K1.
>
> I am using K1 number 583 which I built and have completed DXCC on 40 meters with a vertical antenna. Originally the K1 was two bands only but I bought the four band board when it was released. The only other addition was the noise blanker which has stopped working. I have another noise blanker board ready to go in soon.
>
> I did all of the updates and modifications without any problems. My K1 is stable and very reliable. I did replace the main tuning (10 turn pot) with a higher grade product with a metal shaft. I'm glad I did that, the old pot with the plastic shaft was shaky and the frequency would jump if not careful. The new pot makes the radio seem very solid.
>
> I have used the K1 on 40, 30, 17 and some 20 meters. I have QSLs from a lot of DX worked. My favorite was to work other QRPers on 40. 40 has changed a lot for QRP stations and they are no longer in one area. It was fun to listen around 7040 as there was a lot of activity. One late night, I heard a lot of EU QRP stations working 7030. I called for quite some time but never got an answer, which shows the receiver works pretty well.
>
> True, the K1 has taken a back seat to other Elecraft radios, a fact I do not understand. I have truly enjoyed my K1, the building and many hours operating. I have stalked DX and worked contests with success. As a more than casual user, I can recommend the K1 to someone that wants to relive the thrill of ham radio.
>
> 73, Mike AC4UR

Re: K1 praise

Phil Hystad-3
Eric,

You're selling them because I am buying them.  I have the K3, P3, KX1 and a few of the min-kit things.  My next is the K1 and then the KX3 if it is out by then.  Oh, I plan on the KPA500 this Fall sometime so make sure you make one extra kit for me and the KAT500 of course when it is available.

I will be done buying when I run out of money or when you guys quit the business -- whichever comes first.

Keep up the good work.  Oh, I plan on the K2 but probably after I retire as it is a bigger project.  Maybe I should buy that now?

73, phil, k7PEH

On Aug 27, 2011, at 10:38 AM, Eric Swartz WA6HHQ - Elecraft wrote:

> The K1 (and KX1) definietely have not taken a back seat to our other radios. :-) Even the K2 is still selling well after the introduction of the K3.
>
> We are still selling a good number of these each month. These are unique and timeless designs that have a lot of appeal.
>
> 73,
> Eric  WA6HHQ
>
> www.elecraft.com
> _..._
>

> On Aug 27, 2011, at 10:15 AM, Michael Byrd <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Doug,
>>
>> I think you would be happy with the K1.
>>
>> I am using K1 number 583 which I built and have completed DXCC on 40 meters with a vertical antenna. Originally the K1 was two bands only but I bought the four band board when it was released. The only other addition was the noise blanker which has stopped working. I have another noise blanker board ready to go in soon.
>>
>> I did all of the updates and modifications without any problems. My K1 is stable and very reliable. I did replace the main tuning (10 turn pot) with a higher grade product with a metal shaft. I'm glad I did that, the old pot with the plastic shaft was shaky and the frequency would jump if not careful. The new pot makes the radio seem very solid.
>>
>> I have used the K1 on 40, 30, 17 and some 20 meters. I have QSLs from a lot of DX worked. My favorite was to work other QRPers on 40. 40 has changed a lot for QRP stations and they are no longer in one area. It was fun to listen around 7040 as there was a lot of activity. One late night, I heard a lot of EU QRP stations working 7030. I called for quite some time but never got an answer, which shows the receiver works pretty well.
>>
>> True, the K1 has taken a back seat to other Elecraft radios, a fact I do not understand. I have truly enjoyed my K1, the building and many hours operating. I have stalked DX and worked contests with success. As a more than casual user, I can recommend the K1 to someone that wants to relive the thrill of ham radio.
>>
>> 73, Mike AC4UR
>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]

Re: K1 praise

k6dgw
On 8/27/2011 10:57 AM, Phil Hystad wrote:

> My next is the K1 and then the KX3 if it is out by then.

I built, in order:  K2, KX1, K3, KPA500.  I use my K2 on field events
such as SOTA activations and QRP contests.  Earlier this year [on Field
Day], Rich NU6T and I activated SOTA W6/SN-039 [9,500 ft Leviathan
Peak].  I had my K2, Rich his K1.  After awhile, I said, "Let's trade
radios, I've never used a K1."

I was truly amazed, that is a really, really cool little radio, and
about half the weight of my K2.  I suspect under lab conditions, my K2
RX will outperform the K1 a little bit, I noticed on very strong signals
[well over S9] the K1 "pulled" a little in frequency, but it really
impressed me.  It's on my list to buy, not at the top, but when I win
the lottery, I'll buy them all.

73,

Fred K6DGW
Auburn CA

Re: K1 praise

Jessie Oberreuter-2

      Hear Hear!  I love my K1!  It has the seat of honor in the top pouch
of my backpack and is my travel rig of choice!  The K3 is the centerpiece
of the shack, and the K2 lives in the bedroom when not contesting in the
field.  If I lost my K1, I'd buy and build another in a heart beat!

On Sat, 27 Aug 2011, Eric Swartz  WA6HHQ - Elecraft wrote:

> We are still selling a good number of these each month. These are unique
> and timeless designs that have a lot of appeal.

Re: K1 praise

Bill K9YEQ
Phil,

I am semi-retired, used to be fully back in 2001, pre-911.  I totally agree
with your sentiments.  I have built the K2 and all add0ns but the amp.  I
built the Kx1 and all add-ons. I have owned the K1 and all add-ons.  I have
several smaller kits, including the W1 and W2 watt meters.  All I can say,
none have disappointed me.  It comes down to build, use, sell, build, use,
sell. Etc.  Now on to the KX3!

73,
Bill
K9YEQ