K1-where to start

ki4bbl
Hi all,

If I can't start on the filter board first, which board can I start
assembling?  Does it really matter?  Can I just go right to the meat
of the rf board?

Thanks

Greg Doughty
Ki4bbl

Greg
ki4bbl

Re: K1-where to start

Don Wilhelm-4
Greg,

I don't understand the confusion.  Open the manual and start at the
beginning.  Follow the stpes in order from the front of the manual to
the back.  This is a "tried and true" method.  The resistors are on a
strip and placed on that strip in the proper order for the assembly
steps.  If you have the 4 band board instead of the 2 band board, the
manual tells you when to use the assembly steps for the 4 band board
instead of following the instructions for the 2 band board.  It should
all be very clear if you simply start at the beginning.

[hidden email] wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> If I can't start on the filter board first, which board can I start
> assembling?  Does it really matter?  Can I just go right to the meat
> of the rf board?
>
> Thanks
>
> Greg Doughty
> Ki4bbl

Re: K1-where to start

ki4bbl
I think this is a case of very little patience.  The instructions state to start with the filter board of which I do not have.  I guess I can wait for the filter board to arrive, but I am thinking that I can move on by putting together another board.
Greg
ki4bbl

Re: K1-where to start

Alan D. Wilcox, W3DVX
Greg,

If you haven't already considered the toroid issue, you might want to
purchase the pre-wound toroids from "The Toroid Guy," Mychael Morohovich.

Improperly prepared toroids can cause a lot of grief for kit builders,
and it's
a lot easier to fix at the beginning.  :)

Alan

Alan D. Wilcox, W3DVX (K2-5373, K3-40)
570-321-1516
http://WilcoxEngineering.com
Williamsport, PA 17701

[hidden email] wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> If I can't start on the filter board first, which board can I start
> assembling?  Does it really matter?  Can I just go right to the meat
> of the rf board?
>
> Thanks
>
> Greg Doughty
> Ki4bbl

Re: K1-where to start

Alan D. Wilcox, W3DVX
Greg,
If you don't happen to have the filter board at the moment,
go ahead with the next in the manual. Or build the ATU if
you happen to have that.
Cheers,

ki4bbl wrote:
> I think this is a case of very little patience.  The instructions state to
> start with the filter board of which I do not have.  I guess I can wait for
> the filter board to arrive, but I am thinking that I can move on by putting
> together another board.

Re: K1-where to start

The filter board you ordered with the K1 would normally be packed with
the rest of the kit, it does not come separately, unless there was some
mixup in your order processing (or you made some special request).
In any case, yes, you can advance in the instruction manual to the point
beyond the filter board construction and begin there.  All will be well
up to the point of the first power on test - an assembled filter board
is needed at that time.

ki4bbl wrote:
> I think this is a case of very little patience.  The instructions state to
> start with the filter board of which I do not have.  I guess I can wait for
> the filter board to arrive, but I am thinking that I can move on by putting
> together another board.

Re: K1-where to start

Byron N6NUL
>  think this is a case of very little patience.  The instructions state to
> start with the filter board of which I do not have.  I guess I can wait for
> the filter board to arrive, but I am thinking that I can move on by putting
> together another board.

In that case, I would suggest starting with a careful inventory and contacting Elecraft for the missing parts, because your K1 should have shipped with the filter board you ordered when you bought the radio.

Byron KI6NUL
K1 #2799
Many mini modules

Re: K1-where to start

ki4bbl
In an effort to not offend anyone, I was just being passive about not receiving all of the kit.  The funny part is that the boards are not actually inventoried like all the other parts.  So, when I have my soldering iron set to go and I reach out for the board, I was quite surprised.  All in a day...I am shocked there are not more people not getting all of the parts with as many as there are...but that just goes to show how professional and well-engineered these kits are.  I really like the K1 and I love to build.  I have a rockmite 20, winkey keyer, picokeyer, and numerous Christmas light controller kits under my belt.
Greg
ki4bbl

Re: K1-where to start

lstavenhagen
I'm still not sure I understand, are you actually missing some of the boards/parts for the kit? It should be complete, IMO, before you start if for no other reason than just your own sanity hi hi.  And for sure delivered complete unless something was explicitly backordered, etc.

I'd personally say the most important part of the build is the parts inventory. That not only identifies anything missing but also familiarizes you with hard-to-identify parts like the little capacitors, etc. I even did a full inventory on my K3 - I didn't so much as pick up a single tool until I'd gone through the entire list and determined I had a sufficient number of each screw, washer etc. That was good because in a couple cases, screws were packaged separately, but the total number on the inventory list didn't say anything about that. I'd have wasted a lot of time when I got to the affected steps thinking I'd just run out of a particular screw. But as it was, the build took only a few hours from start to finish.

73,
LS
W5QD