K2/100 75 meters lost receive

Chuck Teague
Hello group,

My K2/100 with KAT2 seems to have lost recieve on 75 meters only. It
transmits fine there but upon releasing the mic it sounds like the coax has
been cut.  This is in a mobile installation using a screwdriver antenna with
a swr of less than 1.2:1.  It matters not whether the ATU is in line or
bypassed--receive sensitivity is very low.  If I tune my antenna analyzer to
the same frequency and hold it close to the radio it will pick that up and
display an s-meter reading, so I know it's not stuck in transmit.

All other bands work normally.

Where do I start?

Many thanks,

Chuck Teague
NN7U

Chuck Teague
NN7U

Re: K2/100 75 meters lost receive

Don Wilhelm-4
  Chuck,

The usual cause for "no receive on one band" is that the RX ANT has been
selected for that band.  While on 80 meters, enter the menu and check to
see if it is on or off.

On 6/24/2011 1:03 AM, 2Cents wrote:

> Hello group,
>
> My K2/100 with KAT2 seems to have lost recieve on 75 meters only. It
> transmits fine there but upon releasing the mic it sounds like the coax has
> been cut.  This is in a mobile installation using a screwdriver antenna with
> a swr of less than 1.2:1.  It matters not whether the ATU is in line or
> bypassed--receive sensitivity is very low.  If I tune my antenna analyzer to
> the same frequency and hold it close to the radio it will pick that up and
> display an s-meter reading, so I know it's not stuck in transmit.
>
> All other bands work normally.
>
> Where do I start?

Re: K2/100 75 meters lost receive

Chuck Teague

Don, your knowledge of the K2 knows no bounds! RX and was indeed selected
for 75 meters.  I turned it off and once again have good "ears" via the Lil
Tarheel.  Thank you very much.

73,

Chuck, NN7U
The usual cause for "no receive on one band" is that the RX ANT has been
selected for that band.  While on 80 meters, enter the menu and check to see
if it is on or off.

On 6/24/2011 1:03 AM, 2Cents wrote:
> Hello group,
>
> My K2/100 with KAT2 seems to have lost recieve on 75 meters only. It
> transmits fine there but upon releasing the mic it sounds like the
> coax has been cut.  This is in a mobile installation using a
> screwdriver antenna with a swr of less than 1.2:1.  It matters not
> whether the ATU is in line or bypassed--receive sensitivity is very
> low.  If I tune my antenna analyzer to the same frequency and hold it
> close to the radio it will pick that up and display an s-meter reading, so
I know it's not stuck in transmit.

> All other bands work normally.
>
> Where do I start?

-----
No virus found in this message.

Chuck Teague
NN7U

Re: K2/100 75 meters lost receive

Don Wilhelm-4
  12 years of activities with the K2 has given me a lot of background.
Glad to hear you are now up and running.

On 6/24/2011 10:16 AM, 2Cents wrote:

> Don, your knowledge of the K2 knows no bounds! RX and was indeed selected
> for 75 meters.  I turned it off and once again have good "ears" via the Lil
> Tarheel.  Thank you very much.

No RTFM

AC7AC
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: No RTFM

Don Wilhelm-4
  But if I feel it is important, or more involved than the immediate
question seems, I will often give a pointer to a manual page for further
information - as well as answering the immediate question.

On 6/24/2011 2:06 PM, Ron D'Eau Claire wrote:

> And note that when Don is asked a question, he never retreats behind "RTFM".
>

> Several months ago after my K2 had sat idle for a couple of years, I ran
> into exactly the same thing on 30 meters and Don bailed me out too.
>
> Ron AC7AC

Re: No RTFM

Chuck Teague
I got the 160m option for Christmas, installed it and checked out the Rx antenna, then promptly forgot about it since I've been using the K3. Only after installing the K2 in the mobile, having a "problem" and receiving Don's answer did I even remember that I now had a rx antenna!Which probably says more about my memory than anything else, but that's a different story.  Seriously, one of the best things about this reflector, is that flaming and sarcasm are kept to an absolute minimum, and the old adage that "there are no dumb questions" is SOP.

Chuck, NN7U
Chuck Teague
NN7U

Re: No RTFM

Guy, K2AV
However much we try to be kind and accepting of wherever a poster may
be, RTFM remains pertinent, not reading or not carefully reading the
manual the number one cause of problems in assembly, understanding,
operating.

At SAS institute, the world's largest private software company, with
paid professional people as customers, installation calls to tech
support mostly amounted to TS reps reading the manual to customers.
They would not DARE say that to customers, of course, but that's
really what it was.  One could tell instantly the customers who only
called after scouring the manual.  The nature of the questions, the
quickness of picking up on an answer, the general brevity of calls,
and the relative infrequency of TS calls of any sort from that
customer, were dead giveaways to the prior work in the manual.

Sarcasm is uncalled for, of course.  But getting the manual down cold
is worth everybody's time.

The manuals must be written pretty well.  I hear very little of "What
does this sentence in the manual mean?"  Elecraft is pretty good in
this regard.

73, Guy.

On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 4:00 PM, Chuck Teague <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I got the 160m option for Christmas, installed it and checked out the Rx
> antenna, then promptly forgot about it since I've been using the K3. Only
> after installing the K2 in the mobile, having a "problem" and receiving
> Don's answer did I even remember that I now had a rx antenna!Which probably
> says more about my memory than anything else, but that's a different story.
> Seriously, one of the best things about this reflector, is that flaming and
> sarcasm are kept to an absolute minimum, and the old adage that "there are
> no dumb questions" is SOP.
>
> Chuck, NN7U

Re: No RTFM

wayne burdick
Administrator
Should we offer a small discount on complex products if a potential
customer reads the entire manual and passes a test first?

Wayne
N6KR

On Jun 24, 2011, at 1:23 PM, Guy Olinger K2AV wrote:

> However much we try to be kind and accepting of wherever a poster may
> be, RTFM remains pertinent...

Re: No RTFM

M0XDF
What a question - yes!
73 de M0XDF, K3 #174, P3 #108, KX3 #???

On 24 Jun 2011, at 21:28, Wayne Burdick wrote:

> Should we offer a small discount on complex products if a potential
> customer reads the entire manual and passes a test first?

Re: No RTFM

kevinr@coho.net
A 500 question essay exam format should prove adequate.  Or maybe an oral
examination equivalent to a thesis defense.  No longer than five hours in
duration please.
    73,
       Kevin.  KD5ONS

On Fri, 24 Jun 2011 13:28:27 -0700, Wayne Burdick <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Should we offer a small discount on complex products if a potential
> customer reads the entire manual and passes a test first?
>
> Wayne
> N6KR

Re: No RTFM

alsopb
Wayne,

Please make this retroactive to June 2008.  I went through the K3
assembly and operator's manuals at least a dozen times while waiting for
the K3 to ship. I'm sure others did the same.

This rehearsal, mental assembly, helped lots when the kit showed.

Also helpful was following the Elecraft reflector postings and hearing
about other guys successes and goofs.

73 de Brian/K3KO

-----
No virus found in this message.

Re: No RTFM

Jack Chomley
After being on the reflector for a few weeks and reading all the posts on the K3, I thought that maybe the K3 would be too much radio, for me! So, I have a K2 kit here, I have started to build, amongst buying a secondhand K2 and KX1.
As far as me getting a K3? My best prior investment may be to buy the KE7X book and read it thoroughly. IF I can understand it's contents, there maybe a chance I could drive the K3?
I always read manuals, but sometimes miss the vital messages contain therein.
It is very hard to produce a manual that everyone can totally understand, I guess that is the good part about this reflector, great help is never very far away :-)

73,

Jack VK4JRC

Sent from my iPad

Re: No RTFM

Guy, K2AV
Naw, need the money to pay for the TS hours for those who DON'T read
the manual.  You'll find that the readers are still the readers and
the don't readers are still the don't readers.

Whatever is at the root of it is deeply ingrained, because TS calls
from certain customers always retained their character, many times
over decades, with many customers known by name, and with caller ID,
the script for the call to come already known before the phone was
picked up.

A partial answer is to design with an eye to "intuitive" operation.
Rather like voodoo, but really worth it if you can get it.  Intuitive
means that those who are not going to read the manual will get it
anyway, and will not call.  Those who do read the manual will find the
contents easy to understand and retain.  Intuitive is a win/win IF it
exists, and IF you can ever figure out what it is.  GENIUS documenters
write intuitive all the time, kind of like Mozart and Beethoven, very
hard to find and harder to keep on a payroll.

73, Guy.

On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 4:28 PM, Wayne Burdick <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Should we offer a small discount on complex products if a potential customer
> reads the entire manual and passes a test first?
>
> Wayne
> N6KR
>
> On Jun 24, 2011, at 1:23 PM, Guy Olinger K2AV wrote:
>
>> However much we try to be kind and accepting of wherever a poster may
>> be, RTFM remains pertinent...

Re: No RTFM

  Jack,

My normal practice with any radio is to read and understand the menu
selections first,  That gives me the best idea about how the radio can
be configured.  The default settings are OK for general use, but most
users like to customize it a little bit.  I highly recommend that
practice, but all minds do not work the same.

After that read about the front panel and its controls and lastly become
familiar with all the connectors on the rear of the radio.  While these
last two groups may seem intuitive to many, each radio has labels that
mean slightly different things than another radio does.  One of the best
examples I can give is that many times users have referred to the DB-9
connector on the K2 as "the K2 serial port" even though it is clearly
marked AUX I/O and the K2 can be damaged by connecting a regular serial
cable to it.  All may not be as "seen" at first glance.

On 6/24/2011 4:59 PM, Jack Chomley wrote:

> After being on the reflector for a few weeks and reading all the posts on the K3, I thought that maybe the K3 would be too much radio, for me! So, I have a K2 kit here, I have started to build, amongst buying a secondhand K2 and KX1.
> As far as me getting a K3? My best prior investment may be to buy the KE7X book and read it thoroughly. IF I can understand it's contents, there maybe a chance I could drive the K3?
> I always read manuals, but sometimes miss the vital messages contain therein.
> It is very hard to produce a manual that everyone can totally understand, I guess that is the good part about this reflector, great help is never very far away :-)
>
> 73,
>
> Jack VK4JRC
>
> Sent from my iPad

Re: No RTFM

Bill K9YEQ
Then consider those of us who read manuals, configure accordingly and then
forget.... Memories are like fruit, some great for awhile, some rotten in no
time.  I like to do a PDF search from the PC before jumping into asking
questions because I can't figure it out.  Don usually has an excellent
answer on the stuff he owns... the rest is up to the group.  Another word
about Don... I have interacted with him for years and he knows his stuff,
which really goes without saying.  He is also a man without a lot of words
unlike some of the rest of us.  Now if we could just get him a pay raise of
at least 25%.. that would be .25 X 0 =  0^-~~~~~!

73,
Bill
K9YEQ

Re: No RTFM

Don Wilhelm-4
  Only 25%?
Eric has offered to triple my salary several times, and I have declined
on the grounds that it was excessive in these troubled monetary times. :-)

On 6/24/2011 5:47 PM, Bill K9YEQ wrote:

> Then consider those of us who read manuals, configure accordingly and then
> forget.... Memories are like fruit, some great for awhile, some rotten in no
> time.  I like to do a PDF search from the PC before jumping into asking
> questions because I can't figure it out.  Don usually has an excellent
> answer on the stuff he owns... the rest is up to the group.  Another word
> about Don... I have interacted with him for years and he knows his stuff,
> which really goes without saying.  He is also a man without a lot of words
> unlike some of the rest of us.  Now if we could just get him a pay raise of
> at least 25%.. that would be .25 X 0 =  0^-~~~~~!
>
> 73,
> Bill
> K9YEQ

Re: No RTFM

Tony Estep
On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 4:04 PM, Guy Olinger K2AV <[hidden email]>wrote:

> ...You'll find that the readers are still the readers and
> the don't readers are still the don't readers...

On this topic, thus spake Dr. Johnson: "...even supposing knowledge to be
easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would
take even a little trouble to acquire it."

Tony KT0NY

Re: No RTFM

riese-k3djc
if the discount holds for the KX3  fer sure

BobK3DJC
writes:

> Should we offer a small discount on complex products if a potential
>
> customer reads the entire manual and passes a test first?
>
> Wayne
> N6KR
>
> On Jun 24, 2011, at 1:23 PM, Guy Olinger K2AV wrote:
>
> > However much we try to be kind and accepting of wherever a poster
> may
> > be, RTFM remains pertinent...

Re: No RTFM

k6dgw
It's the reason someone put up lmgtfy.com

Fred K6DGW