K2/100 With W2IHY Equalizer

Roy Morris-6
I would like to know if anyone is using the W2IHY 8 band equalizer with the
K2.  If so, does it improve the audio?  I am using the Elecraft Heil MD-2
mic (with with the wind blast cover).  My KSB2 has the 2.6Khz bandwidth.  I
don't remember if the MD-2 is a dynamic or electret mic.  The W2IHY is
currently jumpered for the GM-5 mic which makes me think the MD-2 is an
electret.  I am not getting any audio with the MD-2 through the equalizer to
the K2.  The MD-2 works fine directly into the K2.  Roy W4WFB

Re: K2/100 With W2IHY Equalizer

Don Wilhelm-4
Roy,

The Elecraft MD2 microphone has an electret element.  I don't know about
your Unknown brand MD-2 microphone.  There are no dashes in Elecraft
product designations (other than the N-Gen and 2T-Gen mini modules).

If you really meant the Elecraft MD2, then you have a problem with your
W2IHY setup - iot apparently does no provide for bias for the electret
element.  Too bad because W2IHY does offer an electret element that is
supposed to be better than the Heil HC4/5 elements, and those elements
do need bias voltage to operate properly.

O7/20/2012 9:31 PM, Roy Morris wrote:

> I would like to know if anyone is using the W2IHY 8 band equalizer with the
> K2.  If so, does it improve the audio?  I am using the Elecraft Heil MD-2
> mic (with with the wind blast cover).  My KSB2 has the 2.6Khz bandwidth.  I
> don't remember if the MD-2 is a dynamic or electret mic.  The W2IHY is
> currently jumpered for the GM-5 mic which makes me think the MD-2 is an
> electret.  I am not getting any audio with the MD-2 through the equalizer to
> the K2.  The MD-2 works fine directly into the K2.  Roy W4WFB

Re: K2/100 With W2IHY Equalizer

Jack Berry
W2IHY 8 Band EQ can supply bias voltage. There is a simple jumper to place on the bottom to enable the feature. It certainly has the potential to improve your xmit audio if set up properly.

On Jul 20, 2012, at 8:31 PM, "Roy Morris" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I would like to know if anyone is using the W2IHY 8 band equalizer with the
> K2.  If so, does it improve the audio?  I am using the Elecraft Heil MD-2
> mic (with with the wind blast cover).  My KSB2 has the 2.6Khz bandwidth.  I
> don't remember if the MD-2 is a dynamic or electret mic.  The W2IHY is
> currently jumpered for the GM-5 mic which makes me think the MD-2 is an
> electret.  I am not getting any audio with the MD-2 through the equalizer to
> the K2.  The MD-2 works fine directly into the K2.  Roy W4WFB

Re: K2/100 With W2IHY Equalizer

Bruce McLaughlin-2

The Elecraft MD2 microphone has an electret element.  I don't know about
your Unknown brand MD-2 microphone.  There are no dashes in Elecraft product
designations (other than the N-Gen and 2T-Gen mini modules).

If you really meant the Elecraft MD2, then you have a problem with your
W2IHY setup - iot apparently does no provide for bias for the electret
element.  Too bad because W2IHY does offer an electret element that is
supposed to be better than the Heil HC4/5 elements, and those elements do
need bias voltage to operate properly.

O7/20/2012 9:31 PM, Roy Morris wrote:
> I would like to know if anyone is using the W2IHY 8 band equalizer with
the
> K2.  If so, does it improve the audio?  I am using the Elecraft Heil MD-2
> mic (with with the wind blast cover).  My KSB2 has the 2.6Khz bandwidth.
> don't remember if the MD-2 is a dynamic or electret mic.  The W2IHY is
> currently jumpered for the GM-5 mic which makes me think the MD-2 is an
> electret.  I am not getting any audio with the MD-2 through the equalizer

> the K2.  The MD-2 works fine directly into the K2.  Roy W4WFB

Re: K2/100 With W2IHY Equalizer

Guy, K2AV
Read the manual for the W2IHY equalizer and follow the procedure to set it
for microphone bias voltage.  For the older model, on the bottom of the
unit there is a little round hole labeled MIC IN PWR JUMPER.  Move the dip
style jumper with a pair of tweezers or fine tipped needle nose.

73, Guy.