K2 4768 arrives in VP8 land (eventually)

K2 4768 arrives in VP8 land (eventually)

Chris-488
Hello List,

K2 Serial number 4768 has arrived in VP8 (Falkland Islands). Inventory
completed and building to start shortly. I've got the K2 KPA, SSB, NB,
DSP and KAT100 modules.

I want to publicly thank Lisa Jones at Elecraft for her efforts in
getting the kit to me. Getting anything through the mail system to the
Falklands can be a problem and because I had ordered all the modules
together the package was quite big and weighed in at 19Lbs. Elecraft
usually ship smaller packages to the islands using standard
international airmail, but in this case I decided to use DHL. This is
where the story gets messy.

1. DHL advised Lisa that they can only send documents to the Falklands.
2. I obtain a booking form from the DHL office in Stanley and request
the pickup from this end (seems ok)
3. Lisa confirms with DHL that is OK
4. Package collected from DHL
5. Package shown on tacking as far as Miami, then back to a depot in
Cincinnati - then in disappears
6. Lisa chases DHL from there, I chase from here.
7. DHL unable to find the package, although they did find the label -
keep an eye out for that serial number Elecraft!
8. DHL declare the package officially lost and I have to start the
insurance claim process, which will take a few weeks apparently.
This has taken about 10 - 12 days so far.
9. Elecraft agree to ship a replacement package on the basis that I will
forward the insurance money when it comes through. You won't find many
companies offering that level of service!!!!!!!
10. I book the pickup again - DHL have promised free delivery if/when
they get the delivery through.
11. Package collected (this is a Friday)
12. Tracking shows package has reached Miami on Sunday - so far so good.
13. Between Sunday and Tuesday the package travels between Miami and
Cincinnati three times.
14. Get on the phone to DHL, two-pronged attack, I call the DHL office
here and call the DHL USA help desk. Apparently Cincinnati are sending
the package correctly to Miami, from where is should route to Santiago
Chile, but the Miami are sending it back because they don't know which
DHL office in the Falklands to send it to - There is only one DHL office
in the Falklands.
15. Miami office is told to send it and it will find the correct office ;-)

DHL deliveries to the Falklands come in on Saturdays only. To make this
flight a package has to be in Santiago by midday on Thursday. Package is
cleared into Santiago at 10:59 - whew! made it!

Package arrived on Saturday - DHL don't do door to door here; you have
to collect from their office on Monday, but they called me at 7pm on
Saturday to tell me that I could collect it right away, if I wanted to!
I was around there before they had finished putting the phone down!

Original package was shipped on 3 March - I got it on 26 March, ordinary
mail might have been better!

Cheers
Chris VP8BKF

Re: K2 4768 arrives in VP8 land (eventually)

Mike Harris-9
G'day,

And it lives about 60 metres east of #1400.

Now about this strong signal handling business.....!

Regards,

Mike VP8NO

| K2 Serial number 4768 has arrived in VP8 (Falkland Islands). Inventory
| completed and building to start shortly. I've got the K2 KPA, SSB, NB,
| DSP and KAT100 modules.

Re: K2 4768 arrives in VP8 land (eventually)

Kevin Rock
My thesis advisor made the same mistake.  He sent a bound copy of my
thesis from Albuquerque, New Mexico to Buxton, Oregon via DHL.  First time
DHL lost the package.  So my professor gets another copy printed and
bound.  Then he sends it to me via DHL once again.  They cannot find my
house so they send it back to New Mexico.  Finally I got on the phone to
my advisor and convince him to use the United States Postal Service.
Wonder of wonders I received my bound thesis within two days.  I do not
believe I will ever use DHL to deliver packages either to me or for me.
Your story just points up their problems once again.
    73,
        Kevin.   KD5ONS

On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 11:47:36 -0300, Chris <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> in the Falklands.
> 15. Miami office is told to send it and it will find the correct office
> ;-)
>
> DHL deliveries to the Falklands come in on Saturdays only. To make this
> flight a package has to be in Santiago by midday on Thursday. Package is
> cleared into Santiago at 10:59 - whew! made it!
>
> Package arrived on Saturday - DHL don't do door to door here; you have
> to collect from their office on Monday, but they called me at 7pm on
> Saturday to tell me that I could collect it right away, if I wanted to!
> I was around there before they had finished putting the phone down!
>
> Original package was shipped on 3 March - I got it on 26 March, ordinary
> mail might have been better!
>
> Cheers
> Chris VP8BKF

Re: K2 4768 arrives in VP8 land (eventually)

Brian Mury-3
I had a screwdriver antenna that I needed to ship from Victoria, BC to
California for a warranty repair. The manufacturer said to use FedEx,
UPS or DHL. FedEx isn't very close, and I don't like UPS (that's another
story), so I went to DHL. They would only let me send it by air, for a
very high cost. They told me I had to have an account to send it by
ground. Huh? That makes no sense. I asked if I could open an account -
they said no! Only businesses can open accounts, and they have to be
doing regular business with DHL *before* they can open the account. Then
he suggested I would be better off shipping it with someone else.

I asked him if it was company policy to make life difficult for
customers, then send them to the competition. He just shrugged.

Needless to say, I took my business elsewhere, and will do so in the
future.

On Tue, 2005-01-03 at 12:00 -0800, Kevin Rock wrote:

> [...]
> > Chile, but the Miami are sending it back because they don't know which
> > DHL office in the Falklands to send it to - There is only one DHL office
> > in the Falklands.
> > 15. Miami office is told to send it and it will find the correct office
> > ;-)
> >
> > DHL deliveries to the Falklands come in on Saturdays only. To make this
> > flight a package has to be in Santiago by midday on Thursday. Package is
> > cleared into Santiago at 10:59 - whew! made it!
> >
> > Package arrived on Saturday - DHL don't do door to door here; you have
> > to collect from their office on Monday, but they called me at 7pm on
> > Saturday to tell me that I could collect it right away, if I wanted to!
> > I was around there before they had finished putting the phone down!
> >
> > Original package was shipped on 3 March - I got it on 26 March, ordinary

73, Brian
VE7NGR

RE: K2 4768 arrives in VP8 land (eventually)

EricJ-2
 Not only that, but a DHL truck cut me off on the freeway last week and my
girlfriend says their drivers don't look as good in shorts as UPS.
Definitely a pattern here.

Eric
KE6US