K2 Audio Level using filters

Earl Richardet
Hello to the Reflector,

I've recently completed building my Elecraft K2 transceiver and I have one
problem that I would like to resolve.  Up to the point where I installed the
SSB kit into the radio, the audio level on each of the filter selections was
strong and working fine.  After I installed the SSB kit, the audio level on
the CQ filters dropped off significantly.  The OP1 SSB filters are working
great and have strong audio output, but as soon as I select FL3 or FL4 the
audio drops way off.  Otherwise the SSB board is working fine and I great
audio reports from other stations on my transmit audio.

At this point I have confirmed all the components on the SSB, no bridges or
splatter that I can see.  Everything appears to be ok.   Don't know where to
start troubleshooting this issue.

Appreciate any suggestions on troubleshooting or if anyone has experienced
this themselves and of course what you did  to resolve.

Thanks and Regards,

Earl VE7QJ

Re: K2 Audio Level using filters

Don Wilhelm-4
Earl,

It does sound like you have a problem with the filter switching diode
matrix on the KSB2 board.  If your signal level is decreased from the
level obtained when the KSB2 is bypassed ( jumper between pins 1 and 3
of both J9 and J10). then you have a problem with the KSB2 board.  Make
certainly all the diodes are correctly oriented, and re-flow the
soldering in the OP1 filter end of the board.

If you are relying on the BFO frequency settings listed in the KSB2
manual, be advised that there "is a better way" -- go to my webpage
www.w3fpr.com article on K2 Dial Calibration and go to "page 3" which
deals with the filter settings.  Use Spectrogram to give you a visual
indication of the filter placement.  Note that recent K2s will have wide
filter widths that are much wider than indicated i\on the K2 display  --
use Spectrogram to indicate the actual filter width.

Spectrogram version 5.17 and Spectrogram version 16 may be downloaded
from my website,  Both have been seving my needs for a long time and
should be free of problems (there have been reports of bad downloads of
version 16).

On 4/16/2012 10:28 PM, Earl Richardet wrote:

> Hello to the Reflector,
>

> I've recently completed building my Elecraft K2 transceiver and I have one
> problem that I would like to resolve.  Up to the point where I installed the
> SSB kit into the radio, the audio level on each of the filter selections was
> strong and working fine.  After I installed the SSB kit, the audio level on
> the CQ filters dropped off significantly.  The OP1 SSB filters are working
> great and have strong audio output, but as soon as I select FL3 or FL4 the
> audio drops way off.  Otherwise the SSB board is working fine and I great
> audio reports from other stations on my transmit audio.
>

> At this point I have confirmed all the components on the SSB, no bridges or
> splatter that I can see.  Everything appears to be ok.   Don't know where to
> start troubleshooting this issue.
>

> Appreciate any suggestions on troubleshooting or if anyone has experienced
> this themselves and of course what you did  to resolve.
>

> Thanks and Regards,
>

> Earl VE7QJ

Re: K2 Audio Level using filters

Earl Richardet

Re: K2 Audio Level using filters

Earl Richardet
Hi Don,

Just wanted to let you know that I fixed the problem.  I re-soldered all the
switching diodes and also found a very small piece of clipping sticking to
the back side of the board.  Don't know if it was the clipping or the
re-soldering but working perfectly now.  Thanks for all the help.

Earl VE7Qj