K2 - Connecting the K2 to a RigBlaster Pro and computer

K2 - Connecting the K2 to a RigBlaster Pro and computer

David Heinsohn
Evening All

  I think it's time for a bit more of the combined wisdom of the list
before I proceed.

  The rig is a K2.  It has all the internal modules except the ATU at
this point.  I have successfully used both HRD and K2 Remote to control
the K2.
  The RigBlaster Pro is several years old.  It was connected to an Icom
- 706 until tonight, but only really used for PSK31 with Digipan.  P1,
the mic jumper block has been reconfigured to the K2.  And an on air
test was satisfactory.
  It's now time to configure P16 for Rig Ctl, CW, PTT, FSK, etc.  I
believe that diagram #9 on page 29 of my manual is the correct
configuration.  Then the 232 cables would be compter to RigBlaster
232-A, and RigBlaster 232-B to K2.  Is this correct?

  And finally, what experience do others have in connecting and using
the K2 with a RigBlaster?
  Any recommendations on other hookups that work best?  Maybe some that
aren't obvious?

TNX to All

de
KD0R
David

Re: K2 - Connecting the K2 to a RigBlaster Pro and computer

Don Wilhelm-4
David,

I cannot fully answer your questions right now, BUT I must give you a
caution.  The K2 AUX IO connector is *not* an RS-232 port - that is why
it is labeled AUX IO.

To avoid damage to your K2, use ONLY the cable shown in the KIO2 manual
to connect your K2 to the Rigblaster Pro.
In other words, only TXD RXD and signal ground (pins 2, 3 and 5) of the
K2 AUX IO connector should connect to either a computer or the
Rigblaster Pro.

The K2 has no provisions for FSK, and attempts to use DTR or RTS for PTT
or keying will damage the K2 because those pins in the normal RS-232
interface pinout are used within the K2 structure for carrying internal
K2 signals to external Elecraft producets such as the KRC2 and KAT100.

Again, the K2 AUX IO is *not* an RS-232 port although it does carry 3 of
the defined RS-232 signals TXD, RXD and Signal Ground.

David Heinsohn wrote:

> Evening All
>
>   I think it's time for a bit more of the combined wisdom of the list
> before I proceed.
>
>   The rig is a K2.  It has all the internal modules except the ATU at
> this point.  I have successfully used both HRD and K2 Remote to control
> the K2.
>   The RigBlaster Pro is several years old.  It was connected to an Icom
> - 706 until tonight, but only really used for PSK31 with Digipan.  P1,
> the mic jumper block has been reconfigured to the K2.  And an on air
> test was satisfactory.
>   It's now time to configure P16 for Rig Ctl, CW, PTT, FSK, etc.  I
> believe that diagram #9 on page 29 of my manual is the correct
> configuration.  Then the 232 cables would be compter to RigBlaster
> 232-A, and RigBlaster 232-B to K2.  Is this correct?
>
>   And finally, what experience do others have in connecting and using
> the K2 with a RigBlaster?
>   Any recommendations on other hookups that work best?  Maybe some that
> aren't obvious?
>
> TNX to All
>
> de
> KD0R
> David

K2 - Connecting the K2 to a RigBlaster Pro and computer - Results

David Heinsohn
Good Morning to All

  Since there is no OpNote on this combination I thought I'd publish
what I've learned to date.

  So far so good:

1.  The combination is a K2 (QRP stock with all internal modules less
the ATU.  No modifications to any module.) , RIGblaster pro, and an XP
configured machine with two RS-232 ports
2.  The RIGblaster is configured to pass TXD and TXD through from the A
to the B db9 connector.
3.  The Elecraft data cable is going directly from the computer to the
K2.  (To go from the RIGblaster to the K2 would require a db9 male to
male gender changer.)
4.  Receive Audio 'method 1' is being used.  That is K2 speaker audio is
routed to the RIGblaster then to the computer's line in plug.  An
external speaker is connected to the RIGblaster, as are the computer
speakers.  Thus sound card input is adjusted via the AF Gain on the K2
and the Line In slider in the computer.
5.  The following connections are made on the back of the RIGblaster:
    a.  Mic Out to the K2
    b. Speaker Out to an external speaker ( I want to put a little amp
inside this speaker with an on/off switch and separate gain control.)
    c.  Audio In from K2 Ext Speaker
    d.  Line Out to computer Line In
    e.  Line In to computer Line Out
    f.  Speaker Out to computer speakers
    g.  CW Out to a junction box I built to allow several mixed key and
paddle inputs.  The diodes needed for the K2 to auto detect paddle or
on/off keying are in the box.
    h.  Serial Com RS232 IN/OUT to computer COM port 1.
    i.  12 VDC power to a wall wart.

  I seem to have full control of the K2 with 'K2 Remote.'  I have
completed  SSB, CW, and PSK31 QSOs  and tested RTTY.  CW has been tested
with both the internal keyer and manual keys, in addition to computer
generated CW.  Digipan and MixW both work to generate the expected
modes.  K2 Remote will send CW.  (I sure wish the send buffer in that
was larger!)  However, I've not set then up to read the frequency or do
band/freq changes yet, so I don't know how that will go.  I've not yet
tried HRD with the setup.  I've also not tried to get my logging
program, N3FJP's ACLOG, to read the freq etc.
  So far the biggest issue in making the software play nice seems to be
ensuring that the DTS/RTS configuration in the software is correct.

  That's what I know to date.

  I still need to trouble shoot my W1 and get it back into service.
When it's ready, I'll have to put it on a USB to RS232 adapter to get it
back on the screen.  Likewise, I've got some trouble shooting to do on
the KAT2 before it goes into the mix, but unless it interacts with the
AUX I/O board I don't anticipate any trouble there.

73
de
KD0R
David