K2 MH2 P1 jumper wiring w/5.6k resistor

Gene N4FZ
I just bought a used K2 that needs to be wired for the Elecraft MH2 mic. Question: Do ALL the jumpers have to be soldered directly across, as per instructions with the mic? The P1 strip looks different, (has exposed long pins, that have pins 1, 2, 7, 8 jumpered and soldered), than the 2008 instruction sheet. It looks like pins 3,4,5 are unused. Any help is very much appreciated! Gene

Re: K2 MH2 P1 jumper wiring w/5.6k resistor

Gene N4FZ
Also, pin 6 is jumpered, +5v.

Re: K2 MH2 P1 jumper wiring w/5.6k resistor

Gene,

It is not clear, so I am going to make an assumption (you know what that
means) that pins 1. 2, 7 and 8 are jumpered straight across the mic
configuration header - AF to pin 1, PTT to pin 2, GND to pin 7 and GND
to pin 8.  If that is true, all you need to add is a jumper from 5V to
pin 6 AND a 5.5k resistor between pins 6 and 1 on the back of the
microphone jack.

Yes, there are other pins that could be connected - UP, DN, FUNC, but
there are no corresponding buttons on the MH2, so don;t bother
connecting them.

The relevant information is in the KSB2 manual which you can download
from the Elecraft website.  If you do not have the paper manuals, I
suggest that you download the manual for the K2 and the instructions for
all your installed options.  Read through the alignment and operational
parts of each of them to familiarize yourself with your new K2.

On 3/3/2012 10:03 PM, Gene N4FZ wrote:
> I just bought a used K2 that needs to be wired for the Elecraft MH2 mic.
> Question: Do ALL the jumpers have to be soldered directly across, as per
> instructions with the mic? The P1 strip looks different, (has exposed long
> pins, that have pins 1, 2, 7, 8 jumpered and soldered), than the 2008
> instruction sheet. It looks like pins 3,4,5 are unused. Any help is very
> much appreciated! Gene

Re: K2 MH2 P1 jumper wiring w/5.6k resistor

Gene,

In that case, if there is a 5.6k resistor soldered between pin 6 and pin
1 on the back of the mic jack, you are all set to use the Elecraft MH2
microphone.  If the resistor is missing, I would assume the prior owner
was using a Kenwood microphone or a Heil microphone with a Kenwood
adapter.  The most you should have to do is add a 5.6k resistor between
mic jack pin 6 and pin 1.

On 3/3/2012 10:05 PM, Gene N4FZ wrote:

> Also, pin 6 is jumpered, +5v.

Re: K2 MH2 P1 jumper wiring w/5.6k resistor

Sorry, "fat fingers" - the resistor value is 5.6k.  You would have a
very hard time finding a 5.5k resistor.