K2 Operating Problem

bill KE5KWE
My K2, s/n 6301, has been built and operating for several months.  However, I recently relocated and just now was able to put up a long wire antenna.  It is connected directly to my K2 with a KAF2 installed.  I was able to tune it on all bands the radio operated fine for about an hour.  Then I decided to retune a band and the antenna tuner went through its routine, ie. heard all clicks and watched display count down and it suddenly froze up.  The only way to reset was by turning radio off and then on, again.  All appeared normal but when I went to change something using the menu button, I discovered that it no longer worked.

The menu would not come up.  But the radio was receiving properly, switched bands properly, the vfo worked properly, switched antennas properly and all filters work properly.  The radio is a QRP, CW only.  Any ideas of what to look for?  I will look for cold solder joints although that has been done previously.  Are there any tests that I can perform using only my multimeter and the radio itself?  Should I contact Elecraft about their repair service, unit is under warranty?

Thanks for any help you can give.  I am alone in Albuquerque, NM and my Elmer is in Alabama.  Should anyone on the Reflector be out here, I would love the company.

73 de KE5KWE

Bill

Re: K2 Operating Problem

Don Wilhelm-4
Bill,

Using all the logic I can muster, I cannot connect your antenna tuning
attempt to a failure of the MENU button.  I believe it is just some
failure that happened to occur while you were in the process of tuning
the antenna.

Check to see if the XIT button works and report back here.  I believe
you may have a bad solder connection on the front panel board.

As far as warranty service - yes, that is available.  If the failure is
due to component failure, repair will be covered under warranty, but if
the source of the problem is builder error, you will be charged.

bill KE5KWE wrote:

> My K2, s/n 6301, has been built and operating for several months.  However, I
> recently relocated and just now was able to put up a long wire antenna.  It
> is connected directly to my K2 with a KAF2 installed.  I was able to tune it
> on all bands the radio operated fine for about an hour.  Then I decided to
> retune a band and the antenna tuner went through its routine, ie. heard all
> clicks and watched display count down and it suddenly froze up.  The only
> way to reset was by turning radio off and then on, again.  All appeared
> normal but when I went to change something using the menu button, I
> discovered that it no longer worked.
>
> The menu would not come up.  But the radio was receiving properly, switched
> bands properly, the vfo worked properly, switched antennas properly and all
> filters work properly.  The radio is a QRP, CW only.  Any ideas of what to
> look for?  I will look for cold solder joints although that has been done
> previously.  Are there any tests that I can perform using only my multimeter
> and the radio itself?  Should I contact Elecraft about their repair service,
> unit is under warranty?
>
> Thanks for any help you can give.  I am alone in Albuquerque, NM and my
> Elmer is in Alabama.  Should anyone on the Reflector be out here, I would
> love the company.
>
> 73 de KE5KWE
>
> Bill

RE: K2 Operating Problem

Dave Van Wallaghen
Hi Bill,

Let me preface this with the fact that I am by no means an expert here and
I'm sure a guru like Don, W3FPR will chime in here with a very well detailed
troubleshooting plan for you.

I am sure that your first instinct about a cold solder joint is right on. My
guess is that the move probably jostled something around and has now reared
its ugly head. If you tie the two problems together (freeze on tuning and no
menu) I would take a look at the front panel board around U2 and RP1. These
components decode the switches. Then follow the same path down to the J1
connector and its mating connector P1 on the RF Board.

After that, J7 on the RF Board and its mate, P2 on the Control Board. And
lastly, the switch info terminates at U6 (MCU) on the Control Board. Again,
this is presuming that there is a problem with the switch info getting to
the MCU properly. I would think an intermittent problem in this area may
cause the MCU to lock up or not respond to certain switch presses.

Did you try cycling through other switches to see if you have similar
problems?

Like I said, I'm no expert, so take with a grain of salt. I'm sure someone
will come up with other suggestions for you. It's a good group here for
that.

Good luck & 73,
Dave W8FGU

Re: K2 Operating Problem

bill KE5KWE
Thank you Don and Dave for your replies.  I tend to agree with you Don that these are two seperate problems, but I don't know.  In answer to your question the XIT button does work as well as all other buttons.  I did forget to mention that the antenna tuner is a KAT2, which is installed.

My elmer did suggest that if the wire had become broken or possibly came into contact with the side of the travel trailer (ie. metal) it could have experienced RF feedback which would cause it to lock up and if it were strong enough might have fried the menu.  I don't know, nor do I know how to test for this.  I did disconnect the long wire and ground.  Reconnected another wire not in contact with anything and the both problems persisted.

Bill

Don Wilhelm wrote
Bill, Check to see if the XIT button works and report back here.  I believe

bill KE5KWE wrote:
> My K2, s/n 6301, has been built and operating for several months.  However, I
> recently relocated and just now was able to put up a long wire antenna.  It
> is connected directly to my K2 with a KAF2 installed.  I was able to tune it
> on all bands the radio operated fine for about an hour.  Then I decided to
> retune a band and the antenna tuner went through its routine, ie. heard all
> clicks and watched display count down and it suddenly froze up.  The only
> way to reset was by turning radio off and then on, again.  All appeared
> normal but when I went to change something using the menu button, I
> discovered that it no longer worked.
>
> The menu would not come up.  But the radio was receiving properly, switched
> bands properly, the vfo worked properly, switched antennas properly and all
> filters work properly.  The radio is a QRP, CW only.  Any ideas of what to
> look for?  I will look for cold solder joints although that has been done
> previously.  Are there any tests that I can perform using only my multimeter
> and the radio itself?  Should I contact Elecraft about their repair service,
> unit is under warranty?
>
> Thanks for any help you can give.  I am alone in Albuquerque, NM and my
> Elmer is in Alabama.  Should anyone on the Reflector be out here, I would
> love the company.
>
> 73 de KE5KWE
>
> Bill

Re: K2 Operating Problem

Don Wilhelm-4
Bill,

Since the XIT button (and the other buttons) works it is an indicator
that the pushbutton matrix decode is working in general - which could
point to the MENU pushbutton itself as the problem - remove the front
panel assembly and check the soldering to the MENU button carefully.
The only other thing I can think of that might be wrong is internal to
the MCU itself - not processing the input correctly.

You asked about troubleshooting with your DMM - unfortunately, these
signals are digital and the results consist of pulses at the appropriate
time, so drawing conclusions from DMM readings is very 'iffy'.  One
thing you can check while you have the Front Panel assembly off is to
make a resistance reading between front panel U2 pin 6 and U3 pin 6 -
when you press the MENU button, the resistance should go to nearly
zero.  If it does not, the pushbutton (or its soldering) is faulty.