[K2] Power supply for KAT100-1

K1FFX
My KAT100-1 kit will be showing up some time next week and I'm looking into a
power source for it.  It turns out I have just taken offline a Sony LCD display that
I've used for several years.   The display is powered by a external AC adaptor rated
at 12V and 2A.  The specs are more than adequate for powering the KAT100-1.
However, the adaptor is marked "for use with information technology equipment."
So, I'm not sure what it's warning me about.  I'd appreciate any advice as to
whether this would be an appropriate power supply for the KAT100-1.

Thanks -

Bruce K1FFX
Bruce Rosen
K1FFX
K2/100 6982 KSB2 KAT100-1 KAF2 KIO2

Re: [K2] Power supply for KAT100-1

Mike WA8BXN
Hi Bruce,

It might suggest that the power supply puts out a lot of RF noise. This
would have little impact on IT equipment, but might make it undesirable to
use near a radio. I would give it a try and see how it works. But before
doing so, I would get out a volt meter and make sure that the output is 12 V
without anything else connected to it. If the voltage is OK, then it might
work fine for your application.

73 - Mike WA8BXN

My KAT100-1 kit will be showing up some time next week and I'm looking into
power source for it. It turns out I have just taken offline a Sony LCD
display that
I've used for several years. The display is powered by a external AC
adaptor rated
at 12V and 2A. The specs are more than adequate for powering the KAT100-1.
However, the adaptor is marked "for use with information technology
equipment."
So, I'm not sure what it's warning me about. I'd appreciate any advice as
whether this would be an appropriate power supply for the KAT100-1.

Thanks -

Bruce K1FFX

-----
Bruce Rosen
K1FFX
K2/100 6982 KSB2

Re: [K2] Power supply for KAT100-1

Bruce,

What are you using to power your K2?  That same power supply can most
likely power the KAT100.

On 3/8/2013 9:39 PM, K1FFX wrote:

> My KAT100-1 kit will be showing up some time next week and I'm looking into a
> power source for it.  It turns out I have just taken offline a Sony LCD
> display that
> I've used for several years.   The display is powered by a external AC
> adaptor rated
> at 12V and 2A.  The specs are more than adequate for powering the KAT100-1.
> However, the adaptor is marked "for use with information technology
> equipment."
> So, I'm not sure what it's warning me about.  I'd appreciate any advice as
> whether this would be an appropriate power supply for the KAT100-1.

Re: [K2] Power supply for KAT100-1

K1FFX
Mike and Don -

Thanks for your replies.   I use either an Astron 20 or the MFJ-4125 (about 22 amp
switching supply) with the K2/100, usually running at the 100 watt output level.
Sure would be great if one or both supplies would be adequate for running both the rig
and the KAT100.  Your thoughts?

Thanks again!

Bruce K1FFX
Bruce Rosen
K1FFX
K2/100 6982 KSB2 KAT100-1 KAF2 KIO2

Re: [K2] Power supply for KAT100-1

Don Wilhelm-4
Bruce,

The KAT100 draws very little current after it has tuned, so it will not
add much of a load for normal operation.
The KPA100 sets the tuning power at 20 watts, so there is plenty of
current left over for the KAT100 tune cycle.
The nominal draw of the KPA100 is about 17 Amps at 100 watts, so your 20
amp supply should be sufficient for both.

On 3/9/2013 8:41 AM, K1FFX wrote:

> Mike and Don -
>
> Thanks for your replies.   I use either an Astron 20 or the MFJ-4125 (about
> 22 amp
> switching supply) with the K2/100, usually running at the 100 watt output
> level.
> Sure would be great if one or both supplies would be adequate for running
> both the rig
> and the KAT100.  Your thoughts?

Re: [K2] Power supply for KAT100-1

One safety thing I should point out is that a power supply will
typically fold back if the current is greater than the current rating of
the supply, but all power cables that are of a smaller gauge than the
current handling capability of the supply should be fused at the power
supply end with a fuse.  The fuse current rating should be matched to
the wire gauge.
If you do not know the current handling of a particular wire gauge,
consult a copper wire table.

Be safe.