K2 Problems

Nick G3RWF
Looking for some help please. My K2 has developed some distortion on received signals and without warning  the internal speaker (and the external speaker jack) failed to work when turned on -- although headphones still work. I am about to check out the AF amp but wondered if my symptoms ring any bells with long-time K2 owners (I should add that my K2 was damaged by lightning static and these faults possibly spring from that time.
73 Nick G3RWF

Re: K2 Problems

Don Wilhelm-4
Nick,

I cannot comment on the distortion with any certainty (would need more
information), but the sudden lack of speaker means that the little
plastic lever inside the headphone jack has broken - replacement of the
headphone jack is the only known cure.  If you want a 'work-around', you
can place a jumper wire from the junction of R35 and R36 over to pin 1
of the speaker connector (P5).  With that jumper, your speaker will be
active all the time unless you put a blank 3.5mm plug into the external
speaker jack.

It is doubtful that the distortion and the lack of speaker audio are
related.

Nick Henwood wrote:
> Looking for some help please. My K2 has developed some distortion on received signals and without warning  the internal speaker (and the external speaker jack) failed to work when turned on -- although headphones still work. I am about to check out the AF amp but wondered if my symptoms ring any bells with long-time K2 owners (I should add that my K2 was damaged by lightning static and these faults possibly spring from that time.
> 73 Nick G3RWF

Re: K2 Problems

Ingo Meyer, DK3RED
Hello Nick,

> Looking for some help please. My K2 has developed some distortion on received signals and without warning  the internal speaker (and the external speaker jack) failed to work when turned on -- although headphones still work. I am about to check out the AF amp but wondered if my symptoms ring any bells with long-time K2 owners (I should add that my K2 was damaged by lightning static and these faults possibly spring from that time.

Maybe the headphone jack in your K2 is (a little bit) faulty. The contacts for the
headphone works sill. But the switcher inside the jack failed. This is the reason why the
speacker an the external speacker jack failed too.
--
73/72 de Ingo, DK3RED - Don't forget: the fun is the power!
        www.qrp4fun.de - [hidden email]

Re: K2 Problems

Stephen W. Kercel
The failure mode that Ingo describes is not that unusual in a K2. If you
cannot get speaker audio, the phone jack should be one of the first
things to check.

73,

Steve Kercel
AA4AK