K2 RF Gain control

Robert Greenwalt
I have a K2 with almost all of the add-ons (everything but DSP - and the
100 watt amplifier has just been added) and all elecraft mods that has
functioned well for over a year - but I recently noticed that the RF
gain control doesn't change signal levels coming out of the speaker.
The control has been left at max until I played with it recently, and I
was surprised to notice that its only function seems to be changing the
number of illuminated LEDs in the S-meter.  I tried it with various AF
gain control levels and with the AGC both active and turned off - no
difference.  Before I get into massive troubleshooting, is it possible
over time and changing various internal settings several times I have
misadjusted something?  I get signals on the bands.

Bob Greenwalt
K6VZT

Re: K2 RF Gain control

Fernando Quinones
FYI,
Robert I just replace the RF control when I did the SMD Indicator mod.
The RF control started to act like a squelch whenever I touched it or bumped
it when turning the dial. Had to leave it in it's wide position. After
replacing
it, things are back to normal.

take care

Fernando N2FQ/NNNØJYM
San Jose, CA
<http://pages.sbcglobal.net/n2fq>

Mini Tripod KX1 pics

john_k7fd

http://webpages.charter.net/peanut/

Didn't have much time to work on the webpage...thus, I just added them to
one that was sitting on my hard drive, hi. Anyway, this will give you the
basic idea...

A quarter inch hole in the middle of the back panel, down about an inch from
the top edge...

73 John K7FD

Re: K2 RF Gain control

Bob,

If the RF gain control changes the number of LEDs on the S-meter reading, it
is functioning properly.

Now, with that said, yes you MAY have the AGC Threshold set incorrectly.  As
long as AGC action is present, the audio level should be more or less
constant - that is its proper function.  When the AGC threshold is set too
low (higher voltage on U2 pin 5, the K2 will produce more AGC voltage it
should and will de-sensitize the receiver even with no signal.  The proper
fine adjust setting for the AGC Threshold is just at the level where the K2
internal noise does not activate the AGC - you can test that condition by
switching from AGC on to AGC off on a quiet band or with no antenna
connected.  If the noise rises with AGC off, the AGC Threshold is set too
high.  I commonly find the correct setting will yield a voltage at U2 pin 5
of 3.6 to 3.8 volts.

If you have a high noise level at your QTH, the noise alone may be
activating the AGC and cause the conditions you describe.

>I have a K2 with almost all of the add-ons (everything but DSP - and the
> 100 watt amplifier has just been added) and all elecraft mods that has
> functioned well for over a year - but I recently noticed that the RF
> gain control doesn't change signal levels coming out of the speaker.
> The control has been left at max until I played with it recently, and I
> was surprised to notice that its only function seems to be changing the
> number of illuminated LEDs in the S-meter.  I tried it with various AF
> gain control levels and with the AGC both active and turned off - no
> difference.  Before I get into massive troubleshooting, is it possible
> over time and changing various internal settings several times I have
> misadjusted something?  I get signals on the bands.
>
> Bob Greenwalt
> K6VZT

Re: K2 RF Gain control

G3VVT
Hi Bob,

Sounds normal and very much like my K2.
The RF gain in the K2 is really an IF gain with the front end RF gain  set at
a constant level and only affected by switching in the preamp or the
attenuator. I have an old JRC receiver where the RF gain works the  same as the K2 in
that the effect as the RF gain is turned down is the  lower level signals
fall below the threshold as the S meter rises and are  effectively suppressed.
This is a useful effect to give arm chair copy of  stronger signals and
minimises the amount of noise between syllables.

Bob, G3VVT

Re: K2 RF Gain control

dmb@lightstream.net
Hello Bob,

I have noticed on my K2, that if I adjust the AGC threshold such that
the background noise level *truly* doesn't change when turning the AGC
on and off, then the RF gain control when turned completely ccw, does
not sufficiently reduce the level of very strong stations.

I have to adjust the AGC threshold such that there is at least some AGC
action, and then the RF gain control does actually reduce volume level
when turned ccw.

When trying to copy weak signals, I prefer to operate with the AGC off,
the AF Gain advanced, and I use the RF Gain control to control the
signal level. This seems to give me the best signal-to-noise ratio. So,
in order to have enough range of adjustment with the RF Gain control, I
adjust the AGC threshold until the RF Gain, when adjusted fully ccw,
sufficiently attenuates the largest signals. That seems to be the best
compromise.

I make no claim that this is the 'correct' way to adjust the AGC
threshold. It's just a method that I've found works best for the way I
prefer to operate. What's nice about the K2, is that we *can* perform
these kinds of optimizations.

73, Dale WA8SRA

Robert Greenwalt wrote:

>... I recently noticed that the RF
>gain control doesn't change signal levels coming out of the speaker.
>The control has been left at max until I played with it recently, and I
>was surprised to notice that its only function seems to be changing the
>number of illuminated LEDs in the S-meter.  I tried it with various AF
>gain control levels and with the AGC both active and turned off - no
>difference.  ...
>Bob Greenwalt
>K6VZT

Re: K2 RF Gain control

Stewart Baker
On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 10:11:38 -0500, Dale Boresz wrote:

> Hello Bob,
>
> I have noticed on my K2, that if I adjust the AGC threshold such that
> the background noise level *truly* doesn't change when turning the AGC
> on and off, then the RF gain control when turned completely ccw, does
> not sufficiently reduce the level of very strong stations.
>
> I have to adjust the AGC threshold such that there is at least some AGC
> action, and then the RF gain control does actually reduce volume level
> when turned ccw.
>
> When trying to copy weak signals, I prefer to operate with the AGC off,
> the AF Gain advanced, and I use the RF Gain control to control the
> signal level. This seems to give me the best signal-to-noise ratio. So,
> in order to have enough range of adjustment with the RF Gain control, I
> adjust the AGC threshold until the RF Gain, when adjusted fully ccw,
> sufficiently attenuates the largest signals. That seems to be the best
> compromise.
>
> I make no claim that this is the 'correct' way to adjust the AGC
> threshold. It's just a method that I've found works best for the way I
> prefer to operate. What's nice about the K2, is that we *can* perform
> these kinds of optimizations.
>
> 73, Dale WA8SRA

I find the K2 RF Gain (IF gain) control very ineffective with either the AGC on
or off. I tend to use the RF ATT - better from the point of overload, IMD's etc.
The RF gain control on my FT1000MP can reduce S9+60 signals to zero.

73
Stewart G3RXQ