K2 Straight key auto detect

Gene N4FZ
I have tried unsuccessfully to get the K2 to work with my straight key. I have the small 1/8" two tipped plug  inserted and the Inp menu set to any of the selections, and it does NOT detect the key. In fact, it will continuously key the K2 whenever the key is pushed down with the Inp in the HAND position. What is the solution?  Thanks Gene

Re: K2 Straight key auto detect

vk2rq
When you say "two tipped plug", you mean a stereo TRS plug with Tip-Ring-Sleeve, right? Or are you talking about a mono plug with only tip and sleeve?

73,
Matt VK2RQ

Gene N4FZ
That would be a mono plug Matt. I am thinking of using a stereo plug perhaps?

Re: K2 Straight key auto detect

vk2rq
Yes, that's your problem, you must use a stereo plug (refer p99 in Rev I of the K2 manual).

73,
Matt VK2RQ

> On 19 Sep 2014, at 9:14 am, Gene N4FZ <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> That would be a mono plug Matt. I am thinking of using a stereo plug perhaps?

> Message delivered to [hidden email]

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: K2 Straight key auto detect

Gene N4FZ
Thanks Matt, very much, I had that sinking feeling. Auto detect doesn't work then I guess. I bought this K2 second hand, nice little rig. Had it over two years now. Normally use the BY-1 paddles.  73  Gene

Re: [Bulk] Re: K2 Straight key auto detect

Tom McCulloch
I had the problem of using a mono plug as well and the stereo plug fixed it.

I didn't know there's an auto detect, I've been switching the menu to
"Hand" whenever I went to a straight key.  Can you point me to the auto
detect function?

Thanks
Tom, WB2QDG

K2 1103

On 9/18/2014 7:19 PM, Gene N4FZ wrote:

> Thanks Matt, very much, I had that sinking feeling. Auto detect doesn't work
> then I guess. I bought this K2 second hand, nice little rig. Had it over two
> years now. Normally use the BY-1 paddles.  73  Gene

> Message delivered to [hidden email]

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: [Bulk] Re: K2 Straight key auto detect

k6dgw
On 9/18/2014 6:08 PM, Tom McCulloch wrote:

> I didn't know there's an auto detect, I've been switching the menu to
> "Hand" whenever I went to a straight key.  Can you point me to the auto
> detect function?

The key jack in the K2 is a stereo jack.  A mono plug will short the
"ring" contact.  Just put a stereo plug on your hand key or bug, run the
"hot" wire to both the tip and ring, the common goes to sleeve, and when
the K2 senses they're both happening at the same time, it will go to
hand key.  Mine does every single time, it's automatic.

You can also go to Hnd in the menu if you want to and don't trust the
"automatic" stuff.  I often don't, but this one works.

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the 2014 Cal QSO Party 4-5 Oct 2014
- www.cqp.org

> Thanks
> Tom, WB2QDG
>
> K2 1103
>
> On 9/18/2014 7:19 PM, Gene N4FZ wrote:
>> Thanks Matt, very much, I had that sinking feeling. Auto detect
>> doesn't work
>> then I guess. I bought this K2 second hand, nice little rig. Had it
>> over two
>> years now. Normally use the BY-1 paddles.  73  Gene
>>

>> --
>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]

>> Message delivered to [hidden email]

> Message delivered to [hidden email]
>

> -----
> No virus found in this message.

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: K2 Straight key auto detect

Gene,

You *must* use a stereo plug in the K2 paddle jack no matter whether you
are using a straight key or paddles.  If using a straight key (or
computer keying) connect only to the tip and to the shell of the plug.
That is true when using a direct connection, and not necessarily Auto
Detect.

Auto Detect will allow you to use paddles in conjunction with a straight
key (or computer keying), and requires two diodes.  See page  99 of the
K2 Owner's Manual (download it from www.elecraft.com if you do not have
a paper copy).  It will work more reliably if you use Shottky diodes
such as 1N5711 which have a lower forward voltage.  You must turn Auto
Detect ON to use it.  Go to the INP menu, edit the parameter and tap
DISPLAY to toggle ADET on or off. With ADET set to ON, you should be
able to key the K2 from the straight key (or computer) even though the
INP menu is set to PDLn or PDLr.

On 9/18/2014 7:19 PM, Gene N4FZ wrote:
> Thanks Matt, very much, I had that sinking feeling. Auto detect doesn't work
> then I guess. I bought this K2 second hand, nice little rig. Had it over two
> years now. Normally use the BY-1 paddles.  73  Gene

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: [Bulk] Re: K2 Straight key auto detect

Tom McCulloch
Thanks, as always, Don

Tom
wb2qdg
k2 1103

On 9/18/2014 10:19 PM, Don Wilhelm wrote:

> Gene,
>
> You *must* use a stereo plug in the K2 paddle jack no matter whether
> you are using a straight key or paddles.  If using a straight key (or
> computer keying) connect only to the tip and to the shell of the
> plug.  That is true when using a direct connection, and not
> necessarily Auto Detect.
>
> Auto Detect will allow you to use paddles in conjunction with a
> straight key (or computer keying), and requires two diodes.  See page
> 99 of the K2 Owner's Manual (download it from www.elecraft.com if you
> do not have a paper copy).  It will work more reliably if you use
> Shottky diodes such as 1N5711 which have a lower forward voltage.  You
> must turn Auto Detect ON to use it. Go to the INP menu, edit the
> parameter and tap DISPLAY to toggle ADET on or off. With ADET set to
> ON, you should be able to key the K2 from the straight key (or
> computer) even though the INP menu is set to PDLn or PDLr.
>
> 73,
> Don W3FPR
>
> On 9/18/2014 7:19 PM, Gene N4FZ wrote:
>> Thanks Matt, very much, I had that sinking feeling. Auto detect
>> doesn't work
>> then I guess. I bought this K2 second hand, nice little rig. Had it
>> over two
>> years now. Normally use the BY-1 paddles.  73  Gene

> Message delivered to [hidden email]

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: K2 Straight key auto detect

k6dgw
Hmmmm ... I remember putting the diodes in ... vaguely ... and I think
you told me to do it.  My K2 is in my SOTA pack right now, I need to hit
the shower, so I'll look in the next few days.  But generally, Don is
almost always right for a K2, and a few other K--- too.

On 9/18/2014 7:19 PM, Don Wilhelm wrote:

> Gene,
>
> You *must* use a stereo plug in the K2 paddle jack no matter whether you
> are using a straight key or paddles.  If using a straight key (or
> computer keying) connect only to the tip and to the shell of the plug.
> That is true when using a direct connection, and not necessarily Auto
> Detect.
>
> Auto Detect will allow you to use paddles in conjunction with a straight
> key (or computer keying), and requires two diodes.

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: [Bulk] Re: K2 Straight key auto detect

Gene N4FZ
Thanks once again Don, I will solder up a stereo plug as you say, then try. I don't see the ADET selection come up in the Inp, just PDLn and PDLr and HAND on this K2. SN 5812

Re: [Bulk] Re: K2 Straight key auto detect

Don Wilhelm-4
Gene,

It does not "come up", you need to edit the parameter - go to INP, then
hold EDIT to edit the parameter - Once there, tap DISPLAY to toggle
between ADET ON/OFF.

On 9/18/2014 11:06 PM, Gene N4FZ wrote:
> Thanks once again Don, I will solder up a stereo plug as you say, then try. I
> don't see the ADET selection come up in the Inp, just PDLn and PDLr and HAND
> on this K2. SN 5812

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: [Bulk] Re: K2 Straight key auto detect

vk2rq
For my K2, I made a short adapter cable, 3.5mm female to 3.5mm stereo male, and I soldered a couple of diodes inside the one of the 3.5mm connectors to bring both tip and sleeve of the male connector to ground when the tip of the female connector is grounded by a straight key. This goes into one of the female sockets on a 2x3.5mm female stereo to 1x3.5mm male stereo Y-adapter cable that is designed so one iPod can be shared with two sets of ear plugs. My paddle goes into the other female socket on the Y-cable, and the Y-cable goes into my K2.

I can then easily move between paddle and straight key, and the K2 will auto detect. In addition, the Y-cable means I don't have to fumble around at the back of the radio if I want to swap over some different keying devices.

I might have mentioned this before, but the K2 is a great radio :-)

73,
Matt VK2RQ

> On 19 Sep 2014, at 1:06 pm, Gene N4FZ <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Thanks once again Don, I will solder up a stereo plug as you say, then try. I
> don't see the ADET selection come up in the Inp, just PDLn and PDLr and HAND
> on this K2. SN 5812

> Message delivered to [hidden email]

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: [Bulk] Re: K2 Straight key auto detect

Phil Wheeler-2
Funny thing is that my Elecraft rig training threw
me for a loop with my Ten-Tec Rebel and some
"aftermarket" firmware loaded which includes a
keyer and other features. That keyer does an
autodetect based on the plug: Stereo means a
paddle and Mono means a straight key. So when I
plugged in the st. key I use with my Elecraft rigs
I got a series of dots!  A stereo to mono adapter
made it work with my Rebel.

73, Phil W7OX

On 9/18/14, 7:17 PM, Fred Jensen wrote:

> On 9/18/2014 6:08 PM, Tom McCulloch wrote:
>
>> I didn't know there's an auto detect, I've been
>> switching the menu to
>> "Hand" whenever I went to a straight key.  Can
>> you point me to the auto
>> detect function?
>
> The key jack in the K2 is a stereo jack.  A mono
> plug will short the "ring" contact.  Just put a
> stereo plug on your hand key or bug, run the
> "hot" wire to both the tip and ring, the common
> goes to sleeve, and when the K2 senses they're
> both happening at the same time, it will go to
> hand key.  Mine does every single time, it's
> automatic.
>
> You can also go to Hnd in the menu if you want
> to and don't trust the "automatic" stuff.  I
> often don't, but this one works.
>
> 73,
>
> Fred K6DGW
> - Northern California Contest Club
> - CU in the 2014 Cal QSO Party 4-5 Oct 2014
> - www.cqp.org
>>
>> Thanks
>> Tom, WB2QDG
>>
>> K2 1103
>>
>> On 9/18/2014 7:19 PM, Gene N4FZ wrote:
>>> Thanks Matt, very much, I had that sinking
>>> feeling. Auto detect
>>> doesn't work
>>> then I guess. I bought this K2 second hand,
>>> nice little rig. Had it
>>> over two
>>> years now. Normally use the BY-1 paddles.  73
>>> Gene

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: [Bulk] Re: K2 Straight key auto detect

pa0pje
I did something similar. I soldered a
two-Schottky-diodes-in-one-package-with-common-cathode device, salvaged
from a switching PSU, on a 6.3 mm jack, glued it to the base plate of my
sqeeze-paddle and I just have to plug in my straight key and can
instantly use both.

Op 2014-09-19 09:41 schreef Matt VK2RQ:
> For my K2, I made a short adapter cable, 3.5mm female to 3.5mm stereo male, and I soldered a couple of diodes inside the one of the 3.5mm connectors to bring both tip and sleeve of the male connector to ground when the tip of the female connector is grounded by a straight key. This goes into one of the female sockets on a 2x3.5mm female stereo to 1x3.5mm male stereo Y-adapter cable that is designed so one iPod can be shared with two sets of ear plugs. My paddle goes into the other female socket on the Y-cable, and the Y-cable goes into my K2.
>
> I can then easily move between paddle and straight key, and the K2 will auto detect. In addition, the Y-cable means I don't have to fumble around at the back of the radio if I want to swap over some different keying devices.
>
> I might have mentioned this before, but the K2 is a great radio:-)
It is!
Mine is called 3244... :-)

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: [Bulk] Re: K2 Straight key auto detect

Bob-270
I have an old Brown Brothers base that has both the paddle and straight key on
it.  On the underside I put some plain old 1N40XX diodes and can use either on
the K2 with no changes and a single cord and plug.

HINT, HINT....  I sure wish this was an option on the K3 too.   I often wondered
why such a great feature went away on the K3.

73,
Bob
K2TK   ex KN2TKR (1956) & K2TKR

On 9/19/2014 9:43 AM, Peter Eijlander (PA0PJE) wrote:

> I did something similar. I soldered a
> two-Schottky-diodes-in-one-package-with-common-cathode device, salvaged from a
> switching PSU, on a 6.3 mm jack, glued it to the base plate of my
> sqeeze-paddle and I just have to plug in my straight key and can instantly use
> both.
>
> Op 2014-09-19 09:41 schreef Matt VK2RQ:
>> For my K2, I made a short adapter cable, 3.5mm female to 3.5mm stereo male,
>> and I soldered a couple of diodes inside the one of the 3.5mm connectors to
>> bring both tip and sleeve of the male connector to ground when the tip of the
>> female connector is grounded by a straight key. This goes into one of the
>> female sockets on a 2x3.5mm female stereo to 1x3.5mm male stereo Y-adapter
>> cable that is designed so one iPod can be shared with two sets of ear plugs.
>> My paddle goes into the other female socket on the Y-cable, and the Y-cable
>> goes into my K2.
>>
>> I can then easily move between paddle and straight key, and the K2 will auto
>> detect. In addition, the Y-cable means I don't have to fumble around at the
>> back of the radio if I want to swap over some different keying devices.
>>
>> I might have mentioned this before, but the K2 is a great radio:-)
> It is!
> Mine is called 3244... :-)

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: [Bulk] Re: K2 Straight key auto detect

Gene N4FZ
Thanks for the help and the good ideas. I will find a stereo plug first, and go from there. YES, the K2 is a great little rig! 73

Re: K2 Straight key auto detect

George Winship, NC5G
<quote author="Don Wilhelm-4">
<  Go to the INP menu, edit the parameter and tap
<DISPLAY to toggle ADET on or off. With ADET set to ON, you should be
<able to key the K2 from the straight key (or computer) even though the
<INP menu is set to PDLn or PDLr.

Thanks, Gene, for posting the original question and, Don, for the explanation of editing the parameter.
I wired my hand key and paddles as per the instructions in my manual(revision C, April 2000, page 92) some time ago, but it would not work as stated. The sentence on editing the parameter is not in that manual and that is what I was missing. I did the edit this morning and now it works as it is supposed to.

73,

George NC5G

Freq Editor req for update - allow entry of WX freqs

Jeff Herr
Would it be possible to get the k3/kx3 freq memory editor ver 1.3.3.0
updated to allow entry of the NOAA weather channels?

162.400, .425, .450, .475, 162.500, .525, .550

currently i get a little red exclamation mark error.

Jeff Herr,  WW6L
4636 Kelton Way
Sacramento, Ca 95838
916.925.6089

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: Freq Editor req for update - allow entry of WX freqs

Joe Subich, W4TV-4

The K3/KX3 can't tune those frequencies ... even with the
2 meter transverters.  Those frequencies would be well above
30 MHz (IF limit).

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV

On 2014-09-20 5:31 PM, Jeff Herr wrote:

> Would it be possible to get the k3/kx3 freq memory editor ver 1.3.3.0
> updated to allow entry of the NOAA weather channels?
>
> 162.400, .425, .450, .475, 162.500, .525, .550
>
> currently i get a little red exclamation mark error.
>

> Jeff Herr,  WW6L
> 4636 Kelton Way
> Sacramento, Ca 95838
> 916.925.6089