K2 Tuning knob resistance to tight

ka5oai
I have been mainly using HRD and PowerSDR/IF to tune my K2 the last few months.
This morning I reached over to tweak a signal and found the resistance on the
main tuning know was really tight. I use to be able to use the edge of my finger
and almost spin the dial it was so free, but now it's so tight that is no even
possible.

Is there an adjustment for this, a reason it may have happened? I fear something
is in the process of breaking?
--
GB & 73
KA5OAI

73 & GB
KA5OAI
Sam Morgan

Re: K2 Tuning knob resistance to tight

TJ Campie
Sam, loosen the screws in the knob, pull it away from the face a bit
and re-tighten.  The resistance is "set" by the felt washer behind it.
 If that doesn't fix your problem, you have something else going on
that I don't know about.

Good Luck
73
Tom
W0EA

On Fri, Aug 7, 2009 at 7:42 AM, Sam Morgan<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have been mainly using HRD and PowerSDR/IF to tune my K2 the last few months.
> This morning I reached over to tweak a signal and found the resistance on the
> main tuning know was really tight. I use to be able to use the edge of my finger
> and almost spin the dial it was so free, but now it's so tight that is no even
> possible.
>
> Is there an adjustment for this, a reason it may have happened? I fear something
> is in the process of breaking?
> --
> GB & 73
> KA5OAI
> Sam Morgan

Re: K2 Tuning knob resistance to tight

Sam,

That happens when some of the fuzz 'strings' from the felt washer gets
caught up in the slot on the encoder shaft.
Try to get it out with the tip of a knife or a needle, and believe me,
it is not an easy task.  Worst case, if you can't get it out, you may
have to replace the encoder.  Use a new felt washer in any case.

Don Wilhelm wrote:
> Sam,
>
> That happens when some of the fuzz 'strings' from the felt washer gets caught
> up in the slot on the encoder shaft. Try to get it out with the tip of a
> knife or a needle, and believe me, it is not an easy task.  Worst case, if
> you can't get it out, you may have to replace the encoder.  Use a new felt
> washer in any case.

Thanks Don, I had been looking at the archives for a while, and about the time
you sent your reply, I had finally figured out the correct search term to use
and found that very thing about the felt washer.

Good news is I got a few of the fuzz strings out and the tension has freed up
'some'. Bad news is it's not back to where it use to be.

But hey it's a lot better, guess some of the fiber strings were inside where I
couldn't get them out. Maybe they will work themselves out in the future, I hope.

Thanks again for the K2 reply, now I can unsubscribe again. Can't cope with the,
'All K3 All the Time' aspect of the list. Shrug, yea you're right, I'm just
jealous cause I can't afford one, oh well, maybe they will break up the lists
some day and I can come back to stay.
--
GB & 73
KA5OAI

73 & GB
KA5OAI
Sam Morgan

Re: K2 Tuning knob resistance to tight

AC7AC
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: K2 Tuning knob resistance to tight

Gary Hinson
> Back then others reported great success replacing the felt
> washer with a
> leather washer cut from an old belt or other scrap leather
> piece. No fuzz
> and they said it provided great friction control.

Since the K3 uses similar felt washers for both VFOs, is it worth us
making this change now, even before we get the fuzzies, Ron?

73
Gary  ZL2iFB

CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: K2 Tuning knob resistance to tight

Gary,

I have had the knob off many K2s, and only a few have a problem with the
felt washer.  It seems if the felt washer is positioned around the nut
on the shaft, it stays there, but if it falls down when the knob is
placed on the shaft, then it may become a problem, or if the knob is
positioned quite loose, it will be a problem.

The best technique to use when putting on the felt washer and the knob
is to position the radio on its rear panel, position the felt washer and
drop the knob onto the shaft and tighten the setscrews.  It seems that
the weight of the knob itself provides enough tension on the felt washer
to produce a very nice feel with the proper amount of drag for my tastes.