K2 vs K3

Lee Herbst
My situation is this, single income family with 4 kids. I have to save
for anything I want. I just got my ticket in June. I am currently not
on the air, but saving for a 2m mobile to get me started.

Realistically I can only save for one HF xcvr. I chose Elecraft based
on lurking on this reflector and learning about their excellent
support - I don't think I can go wrong buying from these guys.
However, I don't know if I should save for a K2 or a K3. I think it
will take me about a year to save for the base K2 kit or about 2 years
to save for the base K3 kit. I need to make sure that whichever I get,
it will be something I am happy with for a long time as I would not be
able to afford to replace it.

I would like to operate cw and ssb, but cw only would be fine until I
could afford the ssb option if I went for the K2. I am intrigued by
building a K2 (I am handy with a soldering iron), but on the other
side of the coin it seems like you get a lot more radio with the K3.
So, if you were in my shoes, which would you save for? On the air
sooner with a K2 or waiting longer for a K3? All input is most
welcome.

Lee Herbst - AK4WN

"Give God your best and let Him do the rest" - Facing the Giants

Re: K2 vs K3

k6dgw
You're going to get twice as many replies as there are people lurking on
this list, Lee. :-)  In the end, the decision is yours but you can base
it on experience of others.  Mine:

I have a KX1, K2/10, and K3/KPA500/P3.  I built my K2, S/N 4398, perhaps
5 or 6 years ago, with the ATU.  I bought the KPA100 and KAT100 from a
3rd party and used the rig as my home station for about a year.  It
served me very well.  I have two hams within 3 km of me, both QRO.  With
my TS-850, I could not operate on the same band as them [regardless of
mode], the IMD generated inside my receiver made it impossible.  With
the K2, I could get within 3-4 KHz of them before hearing their key
clicks.  The K2 was fun to build, easy to operate, and a really good
receiver.  I subsequently added the SSB module [never used], and the
KAF2 audio filter which I use occasionally.

I swapped the Hi and Lo power tops when I wanted to take it into the
field.  After I got my K3, the QRP top stayed on and I finally sold the
KPA100 and KAT100.  Now, I use it in field events and for activating
summits in SOTA.  It is basically better than any radio I've ever owned
except the K3.

I assembled my K3, S/N 642, several years ago.  It has the KAT3, 100W
amp, and I have since added the DVK which I barely use, and I don't have
the second receiver.  Other than that, it is basically stock.  I haven't
added any filters beyond the two that came with it.  I subsequently got
the KPA500 and just recently the P3.

The K3 is a better home station radio than the K2, for a number of
reasons, but the K2 served me well in that capacity too.  The receiver
is better [mainly the IF DSP, although the K2 xtal filter is very good],
I can get within 1 KHz of my two QRO comrades on CW, and it is very easy
to use.  It is also much more costly than the K2.

Given your situation [we too were a single income family with 4 kids],
I'd opt for a K2 kit.  I'd definitely get the KAT2.  I'd skip the other
accessories to start with, get on CW with 10W and have a blast.  There
are a large number of QRP contests and events that you will really
enjoy.  You can also take it to the field very easily.

If you decide to build a K2, inventory the entire kit FIRST!  Separate
the parts into little containers.  Not only will it assure you aren't
missing anything, it will also familiarize you with all the parts.  I
spent probably 50-60 hours, I work slowly.  Don't build when you're
tired or have had a glass of wine with dinner. :-)

Hope this helps,

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the 2012 Cal QSO Party 6-7 Oct 2012
- www.cqp.org

On 8/8/2012 9:41 AM, Lee Herbst wrote:

> My situation is this, single income family with 4 kids. I have to save
> for anything I want. I just got my ticket in June. I am currently not
> on the air, but saving for a 2m mobile to get me started.
>
> Realistically I can only save for one HF xcvr. I chose Elecraft based
> on lurking on this reflector and learning about their excellent
> support - I don't think I can go wrong buying from these guys.
> However, I don't know if I should save for a K2 or a K3. I think it
> will take me about a year to save for the base K2 kit or about 2 years
> to save for the base K3 kit. I need to make sure that whichever I get,
> it will be something I am happy with for a long time as I would not be
> able to afford to replace it.
>
> I would like to operate cw and ssb, but cw only would be fine until I
> could afford the ssb option if I went for the K2. I am intrigued by
> building a K2 (I am handy with a soldering iron), but on the other
> side of the coin it seems like you get a lot more radio with the K3.
> So, if you were in my shoes, which would you save for? On the air
> sooner with a K2 or waiting longer for a K3? All input is most
> welcome.

Re: K2 vs K3

stan levandowski
The K2 is "all the radio" the average CW op needs.  The problem then
becomes  "what's average?"  If $$ is tight (been there, done that)  and
you may want to migrate to SSB, then my suggestion is save your money up
for a K3, the current Queen of the Elecraft Fleet.  The wait will be
worth it.   In the meantime, look for a small QRP CW rig under $100. Use
it to develop your CW skills, weak signal techniques, and perseverance.
When you finally get your K3 you'll be a superior op.  Just my opinion.
I'm sure you will get many other opinions.  Weigh them all then make
your decision.  Best Wishes from Stan WB2LQF and welcome to ham radio.
   .

On Wed, Aug 8, 2012 at 12:41 PM, Lee Herbst wrote:

> My situation is this, single income family with 4 kids. I have to save
> for anything I want. I just got my ticket in June. I am currently not
> on the air, but saving for a 2m mobile to get me started.
>
> Realistically I can only save for one HF xcvr. I chose Elecraft based
> on lurking on this reflector and learning about their excellent
> support - I don't think I can go wrong buying from these guys.
> However, I don't know if I should save for a K2 or a K3. I think it
> will take me about a year to save for the base K2 kit or about 2 years
> to save for the base K3 kit. I need to make sure that whichever I get,
> it will be something I am happy with for a long time as I would not be
> able to afford to replace it.
>
> I would like to operate cw and ssb, but cw only would be fine until I
> could afford the ssb option if I went for the K2. I am intrigued by
> building a K2 (I am handy with a soldering iron), but on the other
> side of the coin it seems like you get a lot more radio with the K3.
> So, if you were in my shoes, which would you save for? On the air
> sooner with a K2 or waiting longer for a K3? All input is most
> welcome.

> Lee Herbst - AK4WN
>
> "Give God your best and let Him do the rest" - Facing the Giants

Re: K2 vs K3

Keith Heimbold
Lee,

I would pick up a beginners HF rig from an old ham in the neighborhood for cheap and save up for the K3.

Look around and find a couple Elmers where you live and see what they can help you put a system together. Hang dipole and have some fun.  A QRP rig could be a nice option but personally I would go crazy waiting two years to get on the air.  You should be able to get something going as you save for the K3.

Good luck!

Keith
AG6AZ

Sent from my iPhone please excuse typos

On Aug 8, 2012, at 9:41 AM, "Lee Herbst" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> My situation is this, single income family with 4 kids. I have to save
> for anything I want. I just got my ticket in June. I am currently not
> on the air, but saving for a 2m mobile to get me started.
>
> Realistically I can only save for one HF xcvr. I chose Elecraft based
> on lurking on this reflector and learning about their excellent
> support - I don't think I can go wrong buying from these guys.
> However, I don't know if I should save for a K2 or a K3. I think it
> will take me about a year to save for the base K2 kit or about 2 years
> to save for the base K3 kit. I need to make sure that whichever I get,
> it will be something I am happy with for a long time as I would not be
> able to afford to replace it.
>
> I would like to operate cw and ssb, but cw only would be fine until I
> could afford the ssb option if I went for the K2. I am intrigued by
> building a K2 (I am handy with a soldering iron), but on the other
> side of the coin it seems like you get a lot more radio with the K3.
> So, if you were in my shoes, which would you save for? On the air
> sooner with a K2 or waiting longer for a K3? All input is most
> welcome.

> Lee Herbst - AK4WN
>
> "Give God your best and let Him do the rest" - Facing the Giants

Re: K2 vs K3

valvetbone@netzero.com
Lee,
I don't have a K2, but when I decided to buy a K3, it seemed that by the time I added all of the extras on the K2 to make it contain all of the features of a K3, there wasn't much difference in price.  I bought my K3 kit with only one option, a 400Hz filter.  The price at that time was $2025 I believe (ordered in Dayton, May 2010).  I have since added the KXV3A to interface with my MFJ noise canceller.
73,
Art  WB8ENE

Re: K2 vs K3

Dick, K2ZR
Lee,
I'm with Keith's immediate solution. Waiting a year or two to get on the
HF is a long time. There are plenty of seasoned hams with HF gear
collecting dust that'll get you on the HF bands. In my area it is not
uncommon to get a loaner HF rig or one at a very reasonable price.
You'll be On The Air.
One of the local fellows I've been Elmering borrowed an IC-745 that was
collecting dust. He did buy it a month or so later at a very reasonable
price. It has been a year since he's had the IC-745 and he's come a long
way from August 2011. He's become quite proficient on CW, worked WAS,
has 54 DXCC entities under his belt & more! Soooooooo, why wait! Get a
loaner, put up a G5RV wire antenna, drive in a ground rod, connect it up
to your radio and get on the air. You can find information on a G5RV all
over the "net".
If you must have 2 meter mobile, find yourself a used piece of gear for
$100. You should be able to find a FT-1802M for that. It's reliable and
easy to use. Four years ago I bought one new for $139.00. There are also
other pieces of 2M mobile gear out there that won't break your bank.
When the time comes and you're ready to spend bigger dollars, buy the K3
or K2; both are excellent pieces of gear. They were both characterized
beautifully in the email that was sent to you by Fred Jensen, K6DGW.
73,
Dick, K2ZR
K2 #6557 now a K2/100 w/KAT100-1 (Thanks Vic)
ICOM IC-765            ( Oldie but Goodie HF Rig )
Yaesu  FT-900AT       ( Use it for HF mobile often )
ARRL "OO"
ARRL WNY ASM
FOC
CWops
Western NY DX Association
Cold Brook Contest Club
Western NY Contest Club
QRPARCI #957
Pounding Brass Since March 19th,1962

Keith Heimbold wrote:

>Lee,
>
>I would pick up a beginners HF rig from an old ham in the neighborhood for cheap and save up for the K3.
>
>Look around and find a couple Elmers where you live and see what they can help you put a system together. Hang dipole and have some fun.  A QRP rig could be a nice option but personally I would go crazy waiting two years to get on the air.  You should be able to get something going as you save for the K3.
>
>Good luck!
>
>Keith
>AG6AZ
>
>Sent from my iPhone please excuse typos
>
>On Aug 8, 2012, at 9:41 AM, "Lee Herbst" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>>My situation is this, single income family with 4 kids. I have to save
>>for anything I want. I just got my ticket in June. I am currently not
>>on the air, but saving for a 2m mobile to get me started.
>>
>>Realistically I can only save for one HF xcvr. I chose Elecraft based
>>on lurking on this reflector and learning about their excellent
>>support - I don't think I can go wrong buying from these guys.
>>However, I don't know if I should save for a K2 or a K3. I think it
>>will take me about a year to save for the base K2 kit or about 2 years
>>to save for the base K3 kit. I need to make sure that whichever I get,
>>it will be something I am happy with for a long time as I would not be
>>able to afford to replace it.
>>
>>I would like to operate cw and ssb, but cw only would be fine until I
>>could afford the ssb option if I went for the K2. I am intrigued by
>>building a K2 (I am handy with a soldering iron), but on the other
>>side of the coin it seems like you get a lot more radio with the K3.
>>So, if you were in my shoes, which would you save for? On the air
>>sooner with a K2 or waiting longer for a K3? All input is most
>>welcome.
>>
>>73,
>>
>>--
>>Lee Herbst - AK4WN
>>
>>"Give God your best and let Him do the rest" - Facing the Giants
>>Post: mailto:[hidden email]
>>
>>This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
>>Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html

>Post: mailto:[hidden email]

Re: K2 vs K3

ny4g

Lee

I agree with Fred Jensen.  The K2 was all the radio I ever needed.  The operative word is "needed".   The K2 has served me well.  I was licensed in 2009 and got my HF privileges in 2010.  Since 2010, I have bought a TS830S used from a Canadian Missionary radio amateur an FT897 and got 2/3 of the states for Worked All States (phone) between those 2 rigs.  I have since sold the TS830S and in the process of selling the FT897.  I have since gotten Worked All States 2 more times over with my K2.   My K2 does have most of the bells and whistles - SSB, KAF2, KPA100, NB, SSB, KAT2 but is mostly operated QRP - 95% except for the few times when I work DX contests.  I have since reached DXCC both CW and Mixed Mode and the K2 was the rig I did it with.  Some say the K3 sounds better on phone.  The K2 is the most intuitive radio I have ever owned.  The K3 is a better contesting rig - no arguments there.  It all depends on what you want to spend your time in the hobby.  You can do well in
 SKCC and NAQCC sprints with a K2 or K2/100.  As a top line contester with the skills it carries - the K3 is a better choice.  I will probably never part with my K2.  If I had a limited budget and want a barefoot rig (100 watts) - I would opt for a K2/100.  I can swap out the PA deck for Field Day QRP in 5 minutes.     My 2 cents

Ariel NY4G

> Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2012 12:41:09 -0400
> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: [Elecraft] K2 vs K3
>
> My situation is this, single income family with 4 kids. I have to save
> for anything I want. I just got my ticket in June. I am currently not
> on the air, but saving for a 2m mobile to get me started.
>
> Realistically I can only save for one HF xcvr. I chose Elecraft based
> on lurking on this reflector and learning about their excellent
> support - I don't think I can go wrong buying from these guys.
> However, I don't know if I should save for a K2 or a K3. I think it
> will take me about a year to save for the base K2 kit or about 2 years
> to save for the base K3 kit. I need to make sure that whichever I get,
> it will be something I am happy with for a long time as I would not be
> able to afford to replace it.
>
> I would like to operate cw and ssb, but cw only would be fine until I
> could afford the ssb option if I went for the K2. I am intrigued by
> building a K2 (I am handy with a soldering iron), but on the other
> side of the coin it seems like you get a lot more radio with the K3.
> So, if you were in my shoes, which would you save for? On the air
> sooner with a K2 or waiting longer for a K3? All input is most
> welcome.

> Lee Herbst - AK4WN
>
> "Give God your best and let Him do the rest" - Facing the Giants

Re: K2 vs K3

Michael D. Adams
I agree with Keith's comments, but I'll contribute my two cents' as well.

My background, such as it is -- I got my ticket about 20 months ago,
spent 4 months just on 2 meters, and got my K3 a year after I got on
HF.

That experience leads me to point out four things:

1.  Used rigs are widely available, and rigs can be resold.   While it
might slow down the process, you can get a starter rig, and then
resell it later to help finance the purchase of a K3.

2.  Several months on a starter rig taught me that the things I
actually enjoyed and spent time pursuing on the air were different
than what I might have expected before getting on HF. Also learning to
use & working through the quirks of my starter rig I learned a few
things...and that in turn is what lead me to seek out a K3, and to
make more informed decisions on how I might want it equipped.

3.  As an alternative to getting a starter rig, you might look around
to see if there is a club station available in your area to operate.
You get experience and fun while you save up to set up your own
station.

4.  I do not want to discourage you from considering an Elecraft, but
if money is tight, remember that antennas are the most important part
of your station.  I love my K3, but I would have had no
second-thoughts about postponing my transceiver upgrade if there were
any way I could have put up a beam in a spouse-tolerated manner.
There's nothing wrong with cheap wire antennas; but if you have space
and approval from the spouse and your town, invest in good antennas
before worrying about picking the perfect rig.

--
Michael D. Adams (AB1OD)
Poquonock, Connecticut | [hidden email]

On Wed, Aug 8, 2012 at 2:26 PM, Keith Heimbold <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Lee,
>
> I would pick up a beginners HF rig from an old ham in the neighborhood for cheap and save up for the K3.
>
> Look around and find a couple Elmers where you live and see what they can help you put a system together. Hang dipole and have some fun.  A QRP rig could be a nice option but personally I would go crazy waiting two years to get on the air.  You should be able to get something going as you save for the K3.
>
> Good luck!
>
> Keith
> AG6AZ

Re: K2 vs K3

Matt Maguire
Rather than a traditional G5RV antenna, you might want to look at a ZS6BKW, which is an updated version of the G5RV optimised using computer modelling techniques that were not available when the G5RV was first designed:
http://www.nonstopsystems.com/radio/ZS6BKW.pdf

73, Matt VK2ACL

On 09/08/2012, at 5:42 AM, "Dick, K2ZR" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>>> will take me about a year to save for the base K2 kit or about 2 years
>>> to save for the base K3 kit. I need to make sure that whichever I get,
>>> it will be something I am happy with for a long time as I would not be
>>> able to afford to replace it.
>>>
>>> I would like to operate cw and ssb, but cw only would be fine until I
>>> could afford the ssb option if I went for the K2. I am intrigued by
>>> building a K2 (I am handy with a soldering iron), but on the other
>>> side of the coin it seems like you get a lot more radio with the K3.
>>> So, if you were in my shoes, which would you save for? On the air
>>> sooner with a K2 or waiting longer for a K3? All input is most
>>> welcome.
>>>
>>> 73,
>>>
>>> --
>>> Lee Herbst - AK4WN
>>>
>>> "Give God your best and let Him do the rest" - Facing the Giants

Re: K2 vs K3

Scott Monks
Why not a KX3? Buy first the simple version, get on the air sooner, and then add to it little by little. If you decide to sell later you will have 100s of buyers!  It is not a K3 but it is budget~friendly. .
Enviado desde mi oficina móvil BlackBerry® de Telcel

Re: K2 vs K3

RobertG
Lee...

Welcome to the hobby and to Elecraft. Several years ago I assembled K2 #
5957 and immediately added the SSB, noise blanker, DSP and 100W modules.
This past spring I put together K3 #6232 with the 100W module and three
additional filters. I chase DX, operate contests [casually], and rag
chew, just about all on CW.

There is no doubt in anyone's mind that the K3 is the better radio. That
said, what's really amazing is that the K2 is so close to the K3. My K2
was the station radio from the moment it lit up. I never felt limited by
any aspect of the radio, and the K2's mojo can't be questioned. Also,
knowing that you've built it will be just about enough satisfaction all
by itself. Trust us on this point! It performed flawlessly in all
aspects of operating and was/is far and away better than its two
predecessors. I still have it, won't sell it, and have all sorts of
plans for its future use. The K3 is just superb in all aspects. It has
completely satisfied any curiosity that I had about "high end" radios.
At my age I don't plan on buying another rig this time around.

So, either one will be a treasure. The suggestion to get a second hand
rig at an easy price or on loan makes good sense. Get a loaner, get your
feet wet, and then make a more informed decision based on your own
experience. Any rig will do for this phase of your ham radio education.
You may not be able to get a K3 loaner, but with average luck you may be
able to get your hands on a K2 and try it out. Experience is the best
teacher [trite yet true].

There is no "correct" path through/up the ham radio hobby. Every ham's
story has unique chapters mostly unlike anyone else's. Either of these
two Elecraft radios will be fun and satisfying in its own way. Get
started and one or the other will find its way on to the table and into
your heart.

...robert

On 8/8/2012 17:41, Lee Herbst wrote:

> My situation is this, single income family with 4 kids. I have to save
> for anything I want. I just got my ticket in June. I am currently not
> on the air, but saving for a 2m mobile to get me started.
>
> Realistically I can only save for one HF xcvr. I chose Elecraft based
> on lurking on this reflector and learning about their excellent
> support - I don't think I can go wrong buying from these guys.
> However, I don't know if I should save for a K2 or a K3. I think it
> will take me about a year to save for the base K2 kit or about 2 years
> to save for the base K3 kit. I need to make sure that whichever I get,
> it will be something I am happy with for a long time as I would not be
> able to afford to replace it.
>
> I would like to operate cw and ssb, but cw only would be fine until I
> could afford the ssb option if I went for the K2. I am intrigued by
> building a K2 (I am handy with a soldering iron), but on the other
> side of the coin it seems like you get a lot more radio with the K3.
> So, if you were in my shoes, which would you save for? On the air
> sooner with a K2 or waiting longer for a K3? All input is most
> welcome.

Robert G. Strickland, PhD, ABPH - KE2WY
[hidden email]
Syracuse, New York, USA

K2 vs K3

Johnny Siu
Hello Robert,

I really like your idea of getting a K2 from the used market.  For a new purchase, after taking into account the options, K3 seems more value for money.

Perhaps, I was a K2 builder in the past.  I have no worry about buying an used K2.  Due to its kit nature, problems (if any) can be solved on-site without sending back the radio to Elecraft.

In fact, after departing my K2 for some years, I recently acquired an old K2 at a very reasonable price.  I shall soon do all the update modifications for that old K2.  I am still fond of some soldering work.

TNX & 73,

Johnny VR2XMC

________________________________
 寄件人︰ Robert G. Strickland <[hidden email]>
收件人︰ [hidden email]
傳送日期︰ 2012年08月9日 (週四) 10:40 AM
主題︰ Re: [Elecraft] K2 vs K3

> [...]

> on lurking on this reflector and learning about their excellent
> support - I don't think I can go wrong buying from these guys.
> However, I don't know if I should save for a K2 or a K3. I think it
> will take me about a year to save for the base K2 kit or about 2 years
> to save for the base K3 kit. I need to make sure that whichever I get,
> it will be something I am happy with for a long time as I would not be
> able to afford to replace it.
>
> I would like to operate cw and ssb, but cw only would be fine until I
> could afford the ssb option if I went for the K2. I am intrigued by
> building a K2 (I am handy with a soldering iron), but on the other
> side of the coin it seems like you get a lot more radio with the K3.
> So, if you were in my shoes, which would you save for? On the air
> sooner with a K2 or waiting longer for a K3? All input is most

Chip Stratton
You should be able to find a K2 for sale used for roughly 2/3 (sometimes
more, sometimes less) of the retail kit and included modules price. This
discount probably reflects the fact that you really don't know how well it
was originally built, but thankfully the K2 is fairly forgiving of
variations in construction skill.

If you do find one used, you should probably assume that some aspect of it
will require a bit of troubleshooting/sleuthing to make exactly right.
Frankly, I find this every bit as interesting and absorbing as actually
operating, so your take on this might be a little bit different.
Fortunately again, the K2 manual goes to lengths to show you the way when
troubleshooting, and the reflector and Elecraft support itself will go to
great lengths to help you out.

If you do buy a used K2, be sure to ask if the Frequency counter probe and
RF Probe, included in the original kit but frequently separated, are
included.

Chip
AE5KA