K3 Assembly

John N1JM
After 2 months sitting on the bench and 2 weeks of on and off assembly, I finally have my K3/KPA3/KRX3, etc.,  up and running. I was a little apprehensive about lowering the sub receiver into the radio with all the RF cables in the way and difficulty in seeing the sub-in and sub-out connectors, but it went in relatively smoothly. So far it is a terrific radio. My only quibble is that I wish it had band buttons( and yes, I know, there is software for that and I use HRD) and band stacking registers. I just don't like a radio tied to a Mac(or PC) all the time, otherwise I might have a Flex :-). But it sure beats my PRO3 and TS480.

73,
John N1JM

Re: K3 Assembly

Matt Zilmer
I suspect many of us had some degree of fear factor when lowering the
subrx into the "depths" for the first time.  If you look carefully at
how it's aligned, it would be really difficult to get it wrong.  This
isn't apparent during the first attempt though.

And yes - a terrific radio is the K3.  It's very cool to have a radio
that you can add features into whether they're firmware or hardare.
Basic performance with/without all the available features makes it
worth owning just a plain jane K3/10 though...

Enjoy!

73,
matt W6NIA
K3 #24 (subrx was my last addition a couple months ago)

On Fri, 03 Apr 2009 21:33:37 -0700 (PDT), you wrote:

>After 2 months sitting on the bench and 2 weeks of on and off assembly, I finally have my K3/KPA3/KRX3, etc.,  up and running. I was a little apprehensive about lowering the sub receiver into the radio with all the RF cables in the way and difficulty in seeing the sub-in and sub-out connectors, but it went in relatively smoothly. So far it is a terrific radio. My only quibble is that I wish it had band buttons( and yes, I know, there is software for that and I use HRD) and band stacking registers. I just don't like a radio tied to a Mac(or PC) all the time, otherwise I might have a Flex :-). But it sure beats my PRO3 and TS480.
>
>73,
>John N1JM

Re: K3 Assembly

Rick Tavan N6XI
Yeah, band buttons would be nice if the panel were larger. But there is a
good work-around that doesn't require a computer. If you're new here, you
may have missed it. Just use quick-recall memories 0-9. This results in two
taps instead of one (M>V, <n>) but it sets you up with all variables the way
you want them.

I use this mnemonic: Memory 0=160, 1=10, 2=20, 3=30, 4=40, 5=15, 6=60, 7=17,
8=80, 9=12. (That last one isn't really mnemonic.) Some folks go in
frequency sequence. Take the time to set up exactly what you want in both
VFOs on each band. I put my favorite CW freq in VFO A, my favorite SSB freq
in VFO B and set up AGC and DSP parameters just the way I (usually) like
them. It's a breeze once you get it set up.

/Rick N6XI

On 4/3/09, John N1JM <[hidden email]> wrote:

> My only quibble is that I wish it had band buttons( and yes, I know, there
> is software for that and I use HRD) and band stacking registers. I just
> don't like a radio tied to a Mac(or PC) all the time, otherwise I might have
> a Flex :-). But it sure beats my PRO3 and TS480.

Re: K3 Assembly

Joe Subich, W4TV-4

> Yeah, band buttons would be nice if the panel were larger.
> But there is a good work-around that doesn't require a
> computer. If you're new here, you may have missed it. Just
> use quick-recall memories 0-9. This results in two taps
> instead of one (M>V, <n>) but it sets you up with all
> variables the way you want them.

All that's necessary is to set "MEM 0-9" to "Band Sel" in
the configuration menu.  After that, M->V followed by 1
through 0 will recall the last used frequency/mode on each
band 160 -> 6 (1 = 1.8, 2 = 3.5, 3 = 7, 4 = 10, 5 = 14,
6 = 18.1, 7 = 21, 8 = 24.9, 9 = 28 and 0 - 50 MHz).

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV

W6NEK
That is an outstanding suggestion Joe!
Simple and elegant.  I hope it makes it to "The List"!

Frank- W6NEK

> All that's necessary is to set "MEM 0-9" to "Band Sel" in
> the configuration menu.  After that, M->V followed by 1
> through 0 will recall the last used frequency/mode on each
> band 160 -> 6 (1 = 1.8, 2 = 3.5, 3 = 7, 4 = 10, 5 = 14,
> 6 = 18.1, 7 = 21, 8 = 24.9, 9 = 28 and 0 - 50 MHz).
>
> 73,
>
>... Joe, W4TV

Re: K3 Assembly

W6NEK
Wow that was fast!
It's already in there!
Guess it's time to review all the menu settings.
Who knows what other nifty things I'll find!

Red faced,
Frank - W6NEK

> Simple and elegant.  I hope it makes it to "The List"!
>
> Frank- W6NEK

Re: K3 Assembly

John N1JM
Thanks. I missed that on the errata sheet. Although it's  not to clear how to set them up. You must enter a frequency in each 0-9 before it becomes active.

73,
John N1JM
Joe Subich, W4TV-4 wrote

> Yeah, band buttons would be nice if the panel were larger.
> But there is a good work-around that doesn't require a
> computer. If you're new here, you may have missed it. Just
> use quick-recall memories 0-9. This results in two taps
> instead of one (M>V, <n>) but it sets you up with all
> variables the way you want them.

All that's necessary is to set "MEM 0-9" to "Band Sel" in
the configuration menu.  After that, M->V followed by 1
through 0 will recall the last used frequency/mode on each
band 160 -> 6 (1 = 1.8, 2 = 3.5, 3 = 7, 4 = 10, 5 = 14,
6 = 18.1, 7 = 21, 8 = 24.9, 9 = 28 and 0 - 50 MHz).

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV

Frank,

No need for it to go on "The List" - it is reality now.  You can set it
up for any combination of 'which 0-9 button corresponds to each band' -
make your own decisions on that.  See "Quick Memories" in the manual,
the CONFIG:MEM 0-9 and CONFIG: BAND SEL in the menu listing.  There is
also information retaining the "last used frequency" addition in the
firmware release notes.

W6NEK wrote:

> That is an outstanding suggestion Joe!
> Simple and elegant.  I hope it makes it to "The List"!
>
> Frank- W6NEK

Re: K3 Assembly

ON4WIX
Frank,

it's not 'on the List' anymore, it's been implemented in F/W for quite a
while now. You can read all about it if you search for "quick memories" in
the pdf version of the K3 User Manual. You can find all details on page 16,
about halfway down the left column ("Memories 00-09 are quick memories....).

Works like a charm, especially with the four "in band" memories M1-M4 which
you can use to store different frequencies & modes within each band.

Try it, I'm sure you'll like it.

73 es GL
Glenn ON4WIX
> Simple and elegant.  I hope it makes it to "The List"!
>
> Frank- W6NEK

17:54:00