[K3] K3 and Ameritron AL-811H Amplifier

Ian Kahn, KM4IK
All,

I recently acquired a used Ameritron AL-811H for use with my K3 (until I
can save enough to get the KPA500).  I seem to be having issue getting the
amp to respond to key down on the rig.  I have an RCA cable running from
KEY OUT on the back of my K3 to the RELAY on the back of the amp.  I have
DIGOUT1 on the K3 set to ON.  The amp is configured for, and plugged into,
a 240V AC outlet.  When I go key down, either in CW or SSB, I only get a
plate current of about 120 mA and don't get any grid current.  I suspect I
have something misconfigured and the issue is operator error, but I'm at a
bit of a loss as to where to look at this point.  Can anyone offer any
guidance?

Thanks and 73,

Ian Kahn, KM4IK
Roswell, GA
[hidden email]
K3 #231, P3 #688

Re: [K3] K3 and Ameritron AL-811H Amplifier

Vic Rosenthal
It sounds like you are getting no RF to the amp. This is normal behavior for an amplifier
which is in transmit mode but is not getting any drive.

On 1/10/2012 7:56 AM, Ian Kahn wrote:

> All,
>
> I recently acquired a used Ameritron AL-811H for use with my K3 (until I
> can save enough to get the KPA500).  I seem to be having issue getting the
> amp to respond to key down on the rig.  I have an RCA cable running from
> KEY OUT on the back of my K3 to the RELAY on the back of the amp.  I have
> DIGOUT1 on the K3 set to ON.  The amp is configured for, and plugged into,
> a 240V AC outlet.  When I go key down, either in CW or SSB, I only get a
> plate current of about 120 mA and don't get any grid current.  I suspect I
> have something misconfigured and the issue is operator error, but I'm at a
> bit of a loss as to where to look at this point.  Can anyone offer any
> guidance?
>
> Thanks and 73,
>
> Ian Kahn, KM4IK
> Roswell, GA
> [hidden email]
> K3 #231, P3 #688

Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA
http://www.qsl.net/k2vco/

Re: [K3] K3 and Ameritron AL-811H Amplifier

Nr4c
I'm no expert on amps, but I was with a friend during Christmas who
purchased an 811H used as well.  We hooked it up to a K3, with the RCA
cable from KEY OUT>RELAY.  And it worked into a old Cantenna.  Exactly
what is the DIGOUT1 connection?  We didn't use anything but the RF cable
and the KEYOUT.

...bill  nr4c

On Tue, 10 Jan 2012 10:56:41 -0500, Ian Kahn wrote:

> All,
>
> I recently acquired a used Ameritron AL-811H for use with my K3
> (until I
> can save enough to get the KPA500).  I seem to be having issue
> getting the
> amp to respond to key down on the rig.  I have an RCA cable running
> from
> KEY OUT on the back of my K3 to the RELAY on the back of the amp.  I
> have
> DIGOUT1 on the K3 set to ON.  The amp is configured for, and plugged
> into,
> a 240V AC outlet.  When I go key down, either in CW or SSB, I only
> get a
> plate current of about 120 mA and don't get any grid current.  I
> suspect I
> have something misconfigured and the issue is operator error, but I'm
> at a
> bit of a loss as to where to look at this point.  Can anyone offer
> any
> guidance?
>
> Thanks and 73,
>
> Ian Kahn, KM4IK
> Roswell, GA
> [hidden email]
> K3 #231, P3 #688

Re: [K3] K3 and Ameritron AL-811H Amplifier

Mike Reublin
Do you have coax from the K3 to the amp? Is the K3 on the correct RF out connector
(Ant1 or Ant2)? Does the amp have a standby/transmit switch switch?

73, Mike NF4L

On 1/10/2012 10:56 AM, Ian Kahn wrote:

> All,
>
> I recently acquired a used Ameritron AL-811H for use with my K3 (until I
> can save enough to get the KPA500).  I seem to be having issue getting the
> amp to respond to key down on the rig.  I have an RCA cable running from
> KEY OUT on the back of my K3 to the RELAY on the back of the amp.  I have
> DIGOUT1 on the K3 set to ON.  The amp is configured for, and plugged into,
> a 240V AC outlet.  When I go key down, either in CW or SSB, I only get a
> plate current of about 120 mA and don't get any grid current.  I suspect I
> have something misconfigured and the issue is operator error, but I'm at a
> bit of a loss as to where to look at this point.  Can anyone offer any
> guidance?
>
> Thanks and 73,
>
> Ian Kahn, KM4IK
> Roswell, GA
> [hidden email]
> K3 #231, P3 #688

Re: [K3] K3 and Ameritron AL-811H Amplifier

Ian Kahn, KM4IK
To all who provided guidance and answers to my question today, I offer
thanks.  Turns out the issue was very much one of pilot error.  When in
CW mode, one absolutely *must* remember to enable VOX. :-)

Thanks and 73 to all.

On Tue, 10 Jan 2012 23:05:39 -0500, Ian Kahn - Ham wrote:

> To all who provided guidance and answers to my question today, I
> offer
> thanks.  Turns out the issue was very much one of pilot error.  When
> in
> CW mode, one absolutely *must* remember to enable VOX. :-)
>
> Thanks and 73 to all.
>
> Ian Kahn, KM4IK
> Roswell, GA
> [hidden email]