K3 KPA500 Oper/Stby Alert

k6dgw
I'd like to see a K3 FW feature change.  I'll back off if anyone
believes it's a bad idea.

CURRENT:  Turning on the KPA500 scrolls a message in VFO B that I've
just turned the KPA500 on.  Actually, I knew that and didn't need the
message.  Mine is set to come up in STBY [also when I change bands].
When I go to OPER, another message scrolls in VFO B telling me that I
just did that.  I also knew that and didn't need the message.

CHANGE:  Replace both messages with one that tells me what the K3 power
will be when I next tap the paddle [or talk].  I've got the two power
levels for each band set, and most of the time it works.  Occasionally,
after adjusting the high power antenna tuner with just the K3 in TUNE
[5W], going to OPER leaves the power at 5W.  Once, it went to 100W which
faults off the KPA500 instantly, of course.  Occasionally, the K3 stays
at low power when I go to STBY.

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the 2012 Cal QSO Party  6-7 Oct 2012
- www.cqp.org

Re: K3 KPA500 Oper/Stby Alert

Gary Gregory
*Fred,

Essentially I agree but it might be better if the K3 FW was switchable for
those who wish to have the confirmation message?

With regards to the anomalies you mention, I thought I was seeing things
but you just confirmed that it really does happen.

Put me on the 'Agree' list but with the switchable option included.

73's
Gary
*
On 1 June 2012 05:22, FredJensen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'd like to see a K3 FW feature change.  I'll back off if anyone
> believes it's a bad idea.
>
> CURRENT:  Turning on the KPA500 scrolls a message in VFO B that I've
> just turned the KPA500 on.  Actually, I knew that and didn't need the
> message.  Mine is set to come up in STBY [also when I change bands].
> When I go to OPER, another message scrolls in VFO B telling me that I
> just did that.  I also knew that and didn't need the message.
>
> CHANGE:  Replace both messages with one that tells me what the K3 power
> will be when I next tap the paddle [or talk].  I've got the two power
> levels for each band set, and most of the time it works.  Occasionally,
> after adjusting the high power antenna tuner with just the K3 in TUNE
> [5W], going to OPER leaves the power at 5W.  Once, it went to 100W which
> faults off the KPA500 instantly, of course.  Occasionally, the K3 stays
> at low power when I go to STBY.
>
> 73,
>
> Fred K6DGW
> - Northern California Contest Club
> - CU in the 2012 Cal QSO Party  6-7 Oct 2012
> - www.cqp.org

Gary
VK4FD - Motorhome Mobile
Elecraft Equipment
K3 #679, KPA-500 #018 KAT-500#??
Living the dream!!!

Re: K3 KPA500 Oper/Stby Alert

Donehrlich@q.com
I really like that idea.  I never quite trust the lower power setting of
the K3 when the amplifier is put on-line and always manually check it to
be sure it is where I hope it is.  It would be *much* better for the K3
to display the new power setting instead of those unnecessary 'KPA ... '
messages just as Fred suggested.

Don K7FJ

---- snip  ----

CHANGE: Replace both messages with one that tells me what the K3 power
will be when I next tap the paddle [or talk]. I've got the two power
levels for each band set, and most of the time it works. Occasionally,
after adjusting the high power antenna tuner with just the K3 in TUNE
[5W], going to OPER leaves the power at 5W. Once, it went to 100W which
faults off the KPA500 instantly, of course. Occasionally, the K3 stays
at low power when I go to STBY. 73, Fred K6DGW - Northern California
Contest Club - CU in the 2012 Cal QSO Party 6-7 Oct 2012 - www.cqp.org

Re: K3 KPA500 Oper/Stby Alert

Iain MacDonnell - N6ML-2
Fred/Gary,

When you experience these power anomalies, do you see the KPA
operate/bypass messages on the K3 or not? I realise that it's one of
those cases where you don't know that you need to pay attention until
it's too late ..... but then the same could be said for your proposed
solution........

73,

    ~iain / N6ML

On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 1:05 PM, Gary Gregory <[hidden email]> wrote:

> *Fred,
>
> Essentially I agree but it might be better if the K3 FW was switchable for
> those who wish to have the confirmation message?
>
> With regards to the anomalies you mention, I thought I was seeing things
> but you just confirmed that it really does happen.
>
> Put me on the 'Agree' list but with the switchable option included.
>
> 73's
> Gary
> *
> On 1 June 2012 05:22, FredJensen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I'd like to see a K3 FW feature change.  I'll back off if anyone
>> believes it's a bad idea.
>>
>> CURRENT:  Turning on the KPA500 scrolls a message in VFO B that I've
>> just turned the KPA500 on.  Actually, I knew that and didn't need the
>> message.  Mine is set to come up in STBY [also when I change bands].
>> When I go to OPER, another message scrolls in VFO B telling me that I
>> just did that.  I also knew that and didn't need the message.
>>
>> CHANGE:  Replace both messages with one that tells me what the K3 power
>> will be when I next tap the paddle [or talk].  I've got the two power
>> levels for each band set, and most of the time it works.  Occasionally,
>> after adjusting the high power antenna tuner with just the K3 in TUNE
>> [5W], going to OPER leaves the power at 5W.  Once, it went to 100W which
>> faults off the KPA500 instantly, of course.  Occasionally, the K3 stays
>> at low power when I go to STBY.
>>
>> 73,
>>
>> Fred K6DGW
>> - Northern California Contest Club
>> - CU in the 2012 Cal QSO Party  6-7 Oct 2012
>> - www.cqp.org
>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]

> Gary
> VK4FD - Motorhome Mobile
> Elecraft Equipment
> K3 #679, KPA-500 #018 KAT-500#??
> Living the dream!!!

Re: K3 KPA500 Oper/Stby Alert

k6dgw
Ummmm ... if I understand your question, "yes."  I've never seen a time
that the OPERATE/STANDBY messages did not appear when I switch between
OPER and STBY, regardless of whether I go to standby with the button or
by changing bands.  If it's in STBY and I change bands again, I get no
message [or course].

The most prevalent "anomaly" is staying at 5W after using the K3 TUNE
function.  It's immediately apparent because I only get about 50W out of
the KPA500 when I put it in OPER, and when I adjust the PWR setting, it
is at 5W.  It doesn't happen all the time.  The second most prevalent is
when I put the KPA500 in STBY and then find that the K3 power is still
at 26W.  Putting the KPA500 in OPER and having the K3 power stay at 100W
has only happened once.

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the 2012 Cal QSO Party  6-7 Oct 2012
- www.cqp.org

"Anomaly" is a term used by NASA to describe anything from a burned out
panel lamp to the rocket ending up pointy-end down in the desert outside
of Tucson.

On 5/31/2012 9:21 PM, iain macdonnell - N6ML wrote:
> Fred/Gary,
>
> When you experience these power anomalies, do you see the KPA
> operate/bypass messages on the K3 or not? I realise that it's one of
> those cases where you don't know that you need to pay attention until
> it's too late ..... but then the same could be said for your proposed
> solution........

Re: K3 KPA500 Oper/Stby Alert

Gary Gregory
*Iain,

In my case, I did not notice any alert. I placed the kpa-500 in STBY and
tuned the antenna first with the K3 and then when I went to OPER to check
the tune, the kpa-500 worked as it should.

When I transmitted the K3 had remained at 5W..it has done this several
times of late.

The second thing I have noticed is that sometimes and I cannot be certain
why or what I have done, is that after a tune on the K3 I go to straight to
OPER and keying the K3 results in a fault due to overdriving. Again it is
not consistent and I am unable to repeat it on a regular basis.

Having said this, it is not a 'common' occurrence here, just appears to be
a random event.

I have left myself a little note to make a list of what I did next time
this happens with either anomalie.

73's
Gary
*
On 1 June 2012 07:21, iain macdonnell - N6ML <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Fred/Gary,
>
> When you experience these power anomalies, do you see the KPA
> operate/bypass messages on the K3 or not? I realise that it's one of
> those cases where you don't know that you need to pay attention until
> it's too late ..... but then the same could be said for your proposed
> solution........
>
> 73,
>
>    ~iain / N6ML
>

> On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 1:05 PM, Gary Gregory <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > *Fred,
> >
> > Essentially I agree but it might be better if the K3 FW was switchable
> for
> > those who wish to have the confirmation message?
> >
> > With regards to the anomalies you mention, I thought I was seeing things
> > but you just confirmed that it really does happen.
> >
> > Put me on the 'Agree' list but with the switchable option included.
> >
> > 73's
> > Gary
> > *
> > On 1 June 2012 05:22, FredJensen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> I'd like to see a K3 FW feature change.  I'll back off if anyone
> >> believes it's a bad idea.
> >>
> >> CURRENT:  Turning on the KPA500 scrolls a message in VFO B that I've
> >> just turned the KPA500 on.  Actually, I knew that and didn't need the
> >> message.  Mine is set to come up in STBY [also when I change bands].
> >> When I go to OPER, another message scrolls in VFO B telling me that I
> >> just did that.  I also knew that and didn't need the message.
> >>
> >> CHANGE:  Replace both messages with one that tells me what the K3 power
> >> will be when I next tap the paddle [or talk].  I've got the two power
> >> levels for each band set, and most of the time it works.  Occasionally,
> >> after adjusting the high power antenna tuner with just the K3 in TUNE
> >> [5W], going to OPER leaves the power at 5W.  Once, it went to 100W which
> >> faults off the KPA500 instantly, of course.  Occasionally, the K3 stays
> >> at low power when I go to STBY.
> >>
> >> 73,
> >>
> >> Fred K6DGW
> >> - Northern California Contest Club
> >> - CU in the 2012 Cal QSO Party  6-7 Oct 2012
> >> - www.cqp.org
> >> Post: mailto:[hidden email]
> >>
> >> This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
> >> Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
> >>

> > --
> > Gary
> > VK4FD - Motorhome Mobile
> > Elecraft Equipment
> > K3 #679, KPA-500 #018 KAT-500#??
> > Living the dream!!!
> > Post: mailto:[hidden email]

Gary
VK4FD - Motorhome Mobile
Elecraft Equipment
K3 #679, KPA-500 #018 KAT-500#??
Living the dream!!!

Re: K3 KPA500 Oper/Stby Alert

Geoffrey Downs-3
The change gets my vote. Good idea.

73 to all

Geoff
G3UCK

Re: K3 KPA500 Oper/Stby Alert

Iain MacDonnell - N6ML-2
Interesting. I asked because failure of the message being displayed
might suggest a flaky AUXBUS connection, where failure of the correct
action being taken (following the message being displayed) suggests a
K3 firmware bug.

73,

    ~iain / N6ML

On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 2:40 PM, FredJensen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Ummmm ... if I understand your question, "yes."  I've never seen a time
> that the OPERATE/STANDBY messages did not appear when I switch between
> OPER and STBY, regardless of whether I go to standby with the button or
> by changing bands.  If it's in STBY and I change bands again, I get no
> message [or course].

> The most prevalent "anomaly" is staying at 5W after using the K3 TUNE
> function.  It's immediately apparent because I only get about 50W out of
> the KPA500 when I put it in OPER, and when I adjust the PWR setting, it
> is at 5W.  It doesn't happen all the time.  The second most prevalent is
> when I put the KPA500 in STBY and then find that the K3 power is still
> at 26W.  Putting the KPA500 in OPER and having the K3 power stay at 100W
> has only happened once.
>
> 73,
>
> Fred K6DGW
> - Northern California Contest Club
> - CU in the 2012 Cal QSO Party  6-7 Oct 2012
> - www.cqp.org
>
> "Anomaly" is a term used by NASA to describe anything from a burned out
> panel lamp to the rocket ending up pointy-end down in the desert outside
> of Tucson.
>
> On 5/31/2012 9:21 PM, iain macdonnell - N6ML wrote:
>> Fred/Gary,
>>
>> When you experience these power anomalies, do you see the KPA
>> operate/bypass messages on the K3 or not? I realise that it's one of
>> those cases where you don't know that you need to pay attention until
>> it's too late ..... but then the same could be said for your proposed
>> solution........

Re: K3 KPA500 Oper/Stby Alert

George Danner
If we are voting, then I vote to leave it as is.

I do not have a problem with the wrong power selection. I turn on the K3
before turning on the KPA500 & turn off the KPA500 last during power down.
I do like verifying the KPA500 status from the K3.

I have not used the K3 tune function after installing the KPA500.
If there is a FW issue when going to/from Tune mode, then document the issue
as completely as possible with Elecraft service. They have fixed such issues
in the past; usually very quickly.

George
AI4VZ

From: "Geoffrey Downs" <[hidden email]>

> The change gets my vote. Good idea.

Re: K3 KPA500 Oper/Stby Alert

Gary Gregory
*I agree. I will try and stay focused next time I see this happen. Like
Fred stated, it does not happen often, but enough to cause you to think
just before you slap your forehead....DOH!

Gary
*
On 1 June 2012 08:05, iain macdonnell - N6ML <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Interesting. I asked because failure of the message being displayed
> might suggest a flaky AUXBUS connection, where failure of the correct
> action being taken (following the message being displayed) suggests a
> K3 firmware bug.
>
> 73,
>
>    ~iain / N6ML
>

> On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 2:40 PM, FredJensen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Ummmm ... if I understand your question, "yes."  I've never seen a time
> > that the OPERATE/STANDBY messages did not appear when I switch between
> > OPER and STBY, regardless of whether I go to standby with the button or
> > by changing bands.  If it's in STBY and I change bands again, I get no
> > message [or course].
>
> > The most prevalent "anomaly" is staying at 5W after using the K3 TUNE
> > function.  It's immediately apparent because I only get about 50W out of
> > the KPA500 when I put it in OPER, and when I adjust the PWR setting, it
> > is at 5W.  It doesn't happen all the time.  The second most prevalent is
> > when I put the KPA500 in STBY and then find that the K3 power is still
> > at 26W.  Putting the KPA500 in OPER and having the K3 power stay at 100W
> > has only happened once.
> >
> > 73,
> >
> > Fred K6DGW
> > - Northern California Contest Club
> > - CU in the 2012 Cal QSO Party  6-7 Oct 2012
> > - www.cqp.org
> >
> > "Anomaly" is a term used by NASA to describe anything from a burned out
> > panel lamp to the rocket ending up pointy-end down in the desert outside
> > of Tucson.
> >
> > On 5/31/2012 9:21 PM, iain macdonnell - N6ML wrote:
> >> Fred/Gary,
> >>
> >> When you experience these power anomalies, do you see the KPA
> >> operate/bypass messages on the K3 or not? I realise that it's one of
> >> those cases where you don't know that you need to pay attention until
> >> it's too late ..... but then the same could be said for your proposed
> >> solution........

> > Post: mailto:[hidden email]

Gary
VK4FD - Motorhome Mobile
Elecraft Equipment
K3 #679, KPA-500 #018 KAT-500#??
Living the dream!!!

Re: K3 KPA500 Oper/Stby Alert

Gary Gregory
*The ability to be able to control what is displayed is one of the great
features of the K3. This 'feature' for want of a better word would allow
each operator to 'see' and 'confirm' what is happening if it was 'user
selectable'.

Before those who bemoan too much menu activity, please remember this would
be a rarely used menu item that could only be accessed within the 'Config'
menu for example.

The one thing I think I can recall is that i do not remember seeing this
issue with the Tune function prior to FW 4.51. I am not at all certain of
this but I think this has only been a very recent occurrence?

regards,

Gary
*
On 1 June 2012 08:29, G Danner <[hidden email]> wrote:

> If we are voting, then I vote to leave it as is.
>
> I do not have a problem with the wrong power selection. I turn on the K3
> before turning on the KPA500 & turn off the KPA500 last during power down.
> I do like verifying the KPA500 status from the K3.
>
> I have not used the K3 tune function after installing the KPA500.
> If there is a FW issue when going to/from Tune mode, then document the
> issue
> as completely as possible with Elecraft service. They have fixed such
> issues
> in the past; usually very quickly.
>
> George
> AI4VZ

Gary
VK4FD - Motorhome Mobile
Elecraft Equipment
K3 #679, KPA-500 #018 KAT-500#??
Living the dream!!!

Re: K3 KPA500 Oper/Stby Alert

Phil Salas
"The most prevalent "anomaly" is staying at 5W after using the K3 TUNE
function.  It's immediately apparent because I only get about 50W out of
the KPA500 when I put it in OPER, and when I adjust the PWR setting, it
is at 5W.  It doesn't happen all the time.  The second most prevalent is
when I put the KPA500 in STBY and then find that the K3 power is still
at 26W.  Putting the KPA500 in OPER and having the K3 power stay at 100W
has only happened once.:"

I've never seen any of these problems - at least not since my early field
testing.  I use the TUNE feature of the K3 all the time as I have a remote
autotuner (MFJ-998RT).  Then I put the KPA on line.  The K3 power always
adjusts correctly depending on the KPA500 status.  I think someone else
suggested a flaky AUXBUS connection.  That might be something to look at.

Phil - AD5X

Re: K3 KPA500 Oper/Stby Alert

w0mu
The amp will fault out if the radio puts out too much power.  Unless you
mess with the knobs while amp is in operate mode the power out is not
going to magically change.

Mike W0MU

W0MU-1 CC Cluster w0mu.net:23 or w0mu-1.dnsdynamic.com
Http://www.w0mu.com

On 5/31/2012 10:59 PM, Gary Gregory wrote:
> *The ability to be able to control what is displayed is one of the great
> features of the K3. This 'feature' for want of a better word would allow
> each operator to 'see' and 'confirm' what is happening if it was 'user
> selectable'.
Gary has a very good point.  Making it selectable shouldn't be all that
hard [he who used to cringe when one of his users said that and he had
to make it happen :-) ]  Not everyone may like my suggestion.  I suggest
this would be a "try it both ways, decide, and you probably wouldn't
touch it again."
> The one thing I think I can recall is that i do not remember seeing this
> issue with the Tune function prior to FW 4.51. I am not at all certain of
> this but I think this has only been a very recent occurrence?
I'm not real prompt in FW upgrades if it doesn't do something I care
about.  I was last on production v.4R48 before v.4R51, and it was doing
it then too. Honestly, I *think* but don't *know* that it was doing it
before I got the KPA500.  I made a couple DX contacts and was then
surprised I did it at 5W and not 100.  I will get behind the rig, where
one wonders why they call this "wireless," find the right cable and
re-seat it a couple of times.

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the 2012 Cal QSO Party  6-7 Oct 2012
- www.cqp.org

Re: K3 KPA500 Oper/Stby Alert

Dave Johnson
Please folks leave it alone, there are enough menu items to fiddle
with as it is.

My K3 is set for power per band into the KPA500, I also operate QRP CW
at the 5 Watt level and I do not have a problem with the way the
operate/standby works.

73 Dave, G4AON