K3 KPA500

artus
Folks,

I am contemplating a new K3 rig to replace my K2.  I have seen posts regarding the drive necessary for the KPA500 and it looks like the 10 watt K3 doesn't quite have enough.  Currently I use my K2 with a Granberg AN762 brick amp and LPFs.  I wonder if anyone has played with or has comments about the viability and advisability of a 10W K3 ==> AN762 ==>KPA500 arrangement.  I know 6 meters may not work well and I don't know about signal quality degradation versus a direct 100W K3 ==>KPA500 arrangement.  Thanks.

73,
Jack (W0FNQ)

Re: K3 KPA500

Don Wilhelm-4
Jack,

If you are looking for full output, then yes, you will need more than
the K3/10.  But, 10 watts will give you between 200 and 250 watts output
from the KPA500.

On 4/25/2012 8:47 AM, artus wrote:

> Folks,
>
> I am contemplating a new K3 rig to replace my K2.  I have seen posts
> regarding the drive necessary for the KPA500 and it looks like the 10 watt
> K3 doesn't quite have enough.  Currently I use my K2 with a Granberg AN762
> brick amp and LPFs.  I wonder if anyone has played with or has comments
> about the viability and advisability of a 10W K3 ==>  AN762 ==>KPA500
> arrangement.  I know 6 meters may not work well and I don't know about
> signal quality degradation versus a direct 100W K3 ==>KPA500 arrangement.
> Thanks.

Re: K3 KPA500

Vic Rosenthal
I used to do something similar to drive an amplifier from my K2 (before the 100W amp stage
for it) came out.

It complicates t/r switching, making CW QSK or VOX more difficult. I tried to solve this
with an external set of fast relays around both amplifiers, but the large amount of gain
from the cascaded amplifiers caused instability. You do not want this particular problem,
believe me!

You also need an extra bandswitch for the intermediate amplifier. And I suspect that the
K3 - KPA500 integration would be upset, since the K3 wouldn't know about the intermediate
amplifier.

I think it would definitely be worth the extra money to get the 100-watt K3.

On 4/25/2012 5:47 AM, artus wrote:

> Folks,
>
> I am contemplating a new K3 rig to replace my K2.  I have seen posts
> regarding the drive necessary for the KPA500 and it looks like the 10 watt
> K3 doesn't quite have enough.  Currently I use my K2 with a Granberg AN762
> brick amp and LPFs.  I wonder if anyone has played with or has comments
> about the viability and advisability of a 10W K3 ==>  AN762 ==>KPA500
> arrangement.  I know 6 meters may not work well and I don't know about
> signal quality degradation versus a direct 100W K3 ==>KPA500 arrangement.
> Thanks.
>
> 73,
> Jack (W0FNQ)

Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA
http://www.qsl.net/k2vco/

Re: K3 KPA500

Guy, K2AV
The K3 plus the KPA500 has all the slick integration going for it.  Behind
all that is all the time and battle-testing of the combo.  You start with
an unknown element in the middle and you lose all of the field experience
and fine-tuning of the firmware that came with the experience.  Plus at
twenty-something watts to the KPA500, everything in the K3 is loafing.

73, Guy.