K3 - P3 or LP-PAN comparison

RobertG
In another post I ask about sub-receiver versus panadapter. Here, a
question about type of panadapter. My station occupies a very small
space, and adding the P3 would strain the real estate. So, I've been
looking at other panadapter possibilities that use the computer screen
for display. What sort of useful comparisons can be made between the P3
and the LP-Pan box/software? Are there any other panadapter options that
I should consider? Thanks for any and all opinions.

...robert
--
Robert G. Strickland, PhD, ABPH - KE2WY
[hidden email]

Re: K3 - P3 or LP-PAN comparison

Ignacy
N8LP on his website has a very comprehensive and IMHO honest comparison of P3 and LP-PAN.

In snapshot, if you are strained on cash, good in computers, and occasional software problems are not an issue, use LP-PAN.

If reliability and ability to change parameters fast via buttons are more important, P3 is good.

I used SDR-IQ but eventually bought P3.

Ignacy

Re: K3 - P3 or LP-PAN comparison

Geoffrey Mackenzie-Kennedy-3
Robert,

The Perseus SDR, which uses a computer for display and control purposes,
performs very well as a panadapter, also as a multi mode receiver which
covers 10 kHz to 40 MHz

The maximum span which can be displayed is 1600 kHz, and the minimum span is
800 Hz.  The resolution bandwidth is stated to be 1 (one) Hz when the span
is set for 800 Hz, which allows one to see clearly a weak CW signal
separated by 10 - 11 Hz from a very much stronger CW signal ( 50 - 60 db
stronger) at the narrower scan settings.

I have never run out of markers when attempting to deduce (using my Perseus)
the listening pattern of a DX station in a pileup, if he/she is following
some sort of listening pattern.

The dimensions of this SDR are 4.25 x 1.5 x 7.5 inches, and it weighs 380
grams (sorry for mixing Imperial with Metric!).

I have no financial interests related to this SDR.

73,

Geoff
LX2AO

On July 02, 2012 at 8:01 PM, Robert G. Strickland wrote:

> In another post I ask about sub-receiver versus panadapter. Here, a
> question about type of panadapter. My station occupies a very small
> space, and adding the P3 would strain the real estate. So, I've been
> looking at other panadapter possibilities that use the computer screen
> for display.
> Are there any other panadapter options that
> I should consider? Thanks for any and all opinions.
>
> ...robert

Re: K3 - P3 or LP-PAN comparison

Guy, K2AV
Could you give us the URL for the comparison.  I've been on the page, but I
can't find it.  Thanks and 73, Guy.

On Mon, Jul 2, 2012 at 3:22 PM, Ignacy <[hidden email]> wrote:

> N8LP on his website has a very comprehensive and IMHO honest comparison of
> P3
> and LP-PAN.
>
> In snapshot, if you are strained on cash, good in computers, and occasional
> software problems are not an issue, use LP-PAN.
>
> If reliability and ability to change parameters fast via buttons are more
> important, P3 is good.
>
> I used SDR-IQ but eventually bought P3.
>
> Ignacy

Re: K3 - P3 or LP-PAN comparison

Joe Subich, W4TV-4

Here's the direct link:
     http://www.telepostinc.com/P3_comp.html

It's there plain as day about 1/3 of the way down the main LP-Pan
page: http://www.telepostinc.com/LP-PAN.html

Note - the comparison is between LP-Pan with NaP3 software and P3SVGA.
LP-Pan/NaP3 is very computer intensive (PowerSDR is a resource hog)
which is not adequately disclosed and the price comparisons are very
biased by the cost of the SVGA option which increases the price of
the base P3 by nearly 40%.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV

On 7/2/2012 10:42 PM, Guy Olinger K2AV wrote:

> Could you give us the URL for the comparison.  I've been on the page, but I
> can't find it.  Thanks and 73, Guy.
>
> On Mon, Jul 2, 2012 at 3:22 PM, Ignacy <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> N8LP on his website has a very comprehensive and IMHO honest comparison of
>> P3
>> and LP-PAN.
>>
>> In snapshot, if you are strained on cash, good in computers, and occasional
>> software problems are not an issue, use LP-PAN.
>>
>> If reliability and ability to change parameters fast via buttons are more
>> important, P3 is good.
>>
>> I used SDR-IQ but eventually bought P3.
>>
>> Ignacy
>>
>> --
>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]

Re: K3 - P3 or LP-PAN comparison

Tony Estep
On Mon, Jul 2, 2012 at 10:04 PM, Joe Subich, W4TV <[hidden email]> wrote:

> ...LP-Pan/NaP3 is very computer intensive...

==============
On my 2009-vintage Asus laptop, running LP-Bridge and LP-Pan increases CPU
usage by about 15 percentage points. With MixW2 and VE7CC running and a web
browser open, total CPU load is about 30%. I have an outboard 23" monitor
configured as an extended desktop, and am using ASIO drivers for an EMU
0202. The NaP3 window is 13 1/2" wide, of which 12" is the panadapter
picture of the band. There is enough CPU capability to display videos at
full-screen size on the laptop screen while the rest of the stuff is
running.

Tony KT0NY

--
http://www.isb.edu/faculty/facultydir.aspx?ddlFaculty=352

Re: K3 - P3 or LP-PAN comparison

Joe Subich, W4TV-4

NaP3 is not the only software required with LP-Pan.  Most installations
require LP-Bridge or some other software port sharing package to allow
both NaP3 and a logging program to "share" control of the K3.

Several logging packages fail to work properly with LP-Bridge to the
point that their developers refuse to accept bug reports if LPB is
running.  The resource load of LP-Pan must include both NaP3 and LPB
as well as the interference they cause to logging software.  There is
no such problem with the P3.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV

On 7/2/2012 11:36 PM, Tony Estep wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 2, 2012 at 10:04 PM, Joe Subich, W4TV <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> ...LP-Pan/NaP3 is very computer intensive...
>
> ==============
> On my 2009-vintage Asus laptop, running LP-Bridge and LP-Pan increases CPU
> usage by about 15 percentage points. With MixW2 and VE7CC running and a web
> browser open, total CPU load is about 30%. I have an outboard 23" monitor
> configured as an extended desktop, and am using ASIO drivers for an EMU
> 0202. The NaP3 window is 13 1/2" wide, of which 12" is the panadapter
> picture of the band. There is enough CPU capability to display videos at
> full-screen size on the laptop screen while the rest of the stuff is
> running.
>
> Tony KT0NY

Re: K3 - P3 or LP-PAN comparison

Ignacy
I guess that one can find advantages of P3, LP-Pan or something else depending on circumstances.

The main advantage of P3 is that it is standalone. No hassles of software installation, instantaneous turn on, and excellent integration with K3.  But since the  P3's the firmware is proprietary, it is modified dependent on Elecraft's priorities.

For instance, a feature I am missing the most in P3 is noise blanker. Under heavy power noise, K3's noise blanker can work pretty well but P3's screen is covered by noise. In contrast, the noise blanker on SDR-IQ was extraordinary, allowing to see weak signals in the present of heavy noise.  At least two solutions here: 1) request a feature from Elecraft, or 2) call the power company.

I had many of software crashes with SDR-IQ. Perhaps no longer with new computer and new drivers but I have lost enough time...

To tell the truth, the support of LP-PAN is more helpful than the support of SDR-IQ.

Ignacy, NO9E

Re: K3 - P3 or LP-PAN comparison

n7ws
I use an SDR-IQ on the i-f output of my K3.  I use LP-Bridge to share data between the K3, SpectraVue, DXBase logging and/or N1MM.

Additionally, with a laptop/SDR-IQ combination I have a nice little standalone receiver for travel use, although the sensitivity is poor without something like an active antenna.

Disclaimer: I once owned an LP-PAN but sold it, I've never owned a P3 although I played with a preproduction one once.

Wes Stewart N7WS

--- On Mon, 7/2/12, Robert G. Strickland <[hidden email]> wrote:

In another post I ask about sub-receiver versus panadapter. Here, a
question about type of panadapter. My station occupies a very small
space, and adding the P3 would strain the real estate. So, I've been
looking at other panadapter possibilities that use the computer screen
for display. What sort of useful comparisons can be made between the P3
and the LP-Pan box/software? Are there any other panadapter options that
I should consider? Thanks for any and all opinions.

...robert
--
Robert G. Strickland, PhD, ABPH - KE2WY
[hidden email]
Syracuse, New York, USA

Re: K3 - P3 or LP-PAN comparison

N8LP
Note: The noise blanker in NaP3 works on the display as well.

Larry N8LP

Ignacy wrote
[...]

Ignacy, NO9E

Re: K3 - P3 or LP-PAN comparison

N8LP
We used to compare LP-PAN / NaP3 to the P3, but the apt comparison now is with P3SVGA unless the user plans to use a 4" monitor on his PC ;-) NaP3 is not a resource hog. I am running it on PCs ranging from a P4 to an Atom to an i3. It runs fine on all of them. The E-MU 0204 can be a hog on older PCs, but you really have to try to find a PC that slow today.

Larry N8LP

Joe Subich, W4TV-4 wrote
Here's the direct link:
     http://www.telepostinc.com/P3_comp.html

It's there plain as day about 1/3 of the way down the main LP-Pan
page: http://www.telepostinc.com/LP-PAN.html

Note - the comparison is between LP-Pan with NaP3 software and P3SVGA.
LP-Pan/NaP3 is very computer intensive (PowerSDR is a resource hog)
which is not adequately disclosed and the price comparisons are very
biased by the cost of the SVGA option which increases the price of
the base P3 by nearly 40%.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV

On 7/2/2012 10:42 PM, Guy Olinger K2AV wrote:
> Could you give us the URL for the comparison.  I've been on the page, but I
> can't find it.  Thanks and 73, Guy.
>
> On Mon, Jul 2, 2012 at 3:22 PM, Ignacy <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> N8LP on his website has a very comprehensive and IMHO honest comparison of
>> P3
>> and LP-PAN.
>>
>> In snapshot, if you are strained on cash, good in computers, and occasional
>> software problems are not an issue, use LP-PAN.
>>
>> If reliability and ability to change parameters fast via buttons are more
>> important, P3 is good.
>>
>> I used SDR-IQ but eventually bought P3.
>>
>> Ignacy
>>
>> --
>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]

Re: K3 - P3 or LP-PAN comparison

N8LP
LP-Bridge is not intended to support every command that every app might use, but it supports 99% of the commands that most people use, and uses very few resources. The biggest issues come with macros and commands that require critical response timing, but LP-Bridge's ability to limit traffic to the rig compared to splitters that just send everything from all the apps to the rig is a big advantage.  There are some rules that have to be obeyed when using multiple apps so that they don't work against each other and confuse the rig. LP-Bridge enforces those rules at the expense of supporting 100% of the commands from a given app. In some cases, LPB2 can be more useful if one app needs complete control and the others can live with the dozen most used commands.

One source of many problems is the use of USB to serial adapters. You have to be careful to use a good brand with the proper drivers, especially with win7 64-bit.

Larry N8LP

Joe Subich, W4TV-4 wrote
NaP3 is not the only software required with LP-Pan.  Most installations
require LP-Bridge or some other software port sharing package to allow
both NaP3 and a logging program to "share" control of the K3.

Several logging packages fail to work properly with LP-Bridge to the
point that their developers refuse to accept bug reports if LPB is
running.  The resource load of LP-Pan must include both NaP3 and LPB
as well as the interference they cause to logging software.  There is
no such problem with the P3.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV

On 7/2/2012 11:36 PM, Tony Estep wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 2, 2012 at 10:04 PM, Joe Subich, W4TV <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> ...LP-Pan/NaP3 is very computer intensive...
>
> ==============
> On my 2009-vintage Asus laptop, running LP-Bridge and LP-Pan increases CPU
> usage by about 15 percentage points. With MixW2 and VE7CC running and a web
> browser open, total CPU load is about 30%. I have an outboard 23" monitor
> configured as an extended desktop, and am using ASIO drivers for an EMU
> 0202. The NaP3 window is 13 1/2" wide, of which 12" is the panadapter
> picture of the band. There is enough CPU capability to display videos at
> full-screen size on the laptop screen while the rest of the stuff is
> running.
>
> Tony KT0NY

Re: K3 - P3 or LP-PAN comparison

wc1m
Some comments that may be helpful for both threads about the P3:

I have two K3s in an SO2R contest configuration. The K3 I use mostly for
running has an LP-Pan and NaP3. I just installed the pre-amp option in my
LP-PAN, and it works well, but I haven't done a contest with it yet. The run
K3 also has a SubRX that I use almost exclusively for Diversity reception.
The radio I use mostly for S&P has a P3 (no SVGA card) and no SubRX.

Both panadapter solutions work well, but I have a preference for the P3,
especially for S&P. The main reason is that the P3 display seems sharper and
more responsive to me. This will sound odd, but the signals on LP-PAN/NaP3
seem slightly "fat" and "slow", and the screen display seems more chaotic
that it does on the P3. It could be that the display is just that much
bigger, but I don't know. I've not been able to make the NaP3 display look
as good or respond as well as the P3 display.

The main reason I use LP-PAN/NaP3 on the run radio is to check the band
activity (i.e., is the band open enough to run?) I've tried to use it to
find an empty space to run, but haven't had a lot of success with that. For
some reason, that's easier to do with the P3.

Another issue is screen real-estate. I happen to have a 24" main monitor
that I use for the contest logger, a 20" second monitor that I use for NaP3
and a bunch of other utility programs and a 7" touch screen I use for a
program I wrote called AntennaMaster that I use to select antennas, tune
SteppIRs, tune my Acom amp, etc. If you have just one monitor, it's hard to
find enough room on it for NaP3 and all the other things you might want to
see during a contest.

As for CPU usage, when I had a core2-Duo system, LP-PAN/PowerSDR-IF used a
lot of CPU and the system fans would be humping it all contest. I worried
about the heat stress that was putting on the system, especially the CPU.
Now I have an i7-based system with an NVIDIA 570 graphics card and the CPU
usage is much lower. CPU usage with LP-PAN/NaP3 is so low I barely notice
that the fans are running a little faster. FWIW, I use LP-Bridge with
Writelog and NaP3, and it works flawlessly.

All in all, if the P3 was a little less expensive, I would use one on the
run radio instead of LP-PAN/NaP3 (anybody want to sell me a used P3?)

Now, I hasten to add that there are some advantages to the LP-PAN/NaP3 or
LP-PAN/PowerSDR-IF solutions. For one thing, it can provide a sub receiver
if you don't have one. Second, it can produce excellent filtering and audio
for AM B/C stations without having to buy a 6 KHz filter for the K3. For
another thing, PowerSDR-IF has some monitor modes that transform it into a
very useful receive monitor scope (like being able to see the other
station's transmit envelope.) LP-PAN is also a lot cheaper than a P3. Even
if I had a P3 for the run K3, I wouldn't sell my LP-PAN. I would hook them
up together (more feasible with the $25 LP-PAN pre-amp option installed
because the pre-amp helps to compensate for the 3dB IF splitter loss in the
P3.)

On the SubRX, whether money should be spent on that over a P3 depends very
much on what you do with the radio. I would probably go for the sub because
it makes the K3 a much more powerful radio. If you're a DX-er, it's
indispensable because it allows dual-watch. If you're a contester with the
right kind of antennas (ideally, opposite polarity), Diversity reception can
be an unbelievable upgrade to your station -- it was for mine. That said, I
use a full-size 2-el 40m beam at 110' and a full-size 40m 4-square with 60
radials per element. That combo had better be good! As has been noted,
Diversity does require purchasing identical filters for all bandwidths with
which you want to do Diversity reception. If you aren't a DX-er or a serious
contester, then a sub might be less important and a P3 might make more sense
for the dollars you have to spend.

Hope this is helpful.

73, Dick WC1M

Re: K3 - P3 or LP-PAN comparison

Edward R Cole
I purchased the sub-Rx for entirely different application:
dual-polarity diversity eme reception using adaptive SDR sw (Linrad):
http://www.kl7uw.com/LINRAD.htm
I originally bought two filters for the sub-Rx: 2.8 and 13-KHz
thinking the 13-KHz filter would permit me to run wideband audio to a
soundcard for JT-65 or Spectran waterfall displays.  But then I
learned the K3 audio output is filtered to about 4-KHz voiding this
approach.  Thus, I sold my second 13-KHz filter.

I currently have just one 2.8-KHz filter in the sub-Rx which is
adequate since DSP filtering can reduce this as needed.  I should
state I do not do HF contesting or DX chasing so need for a good CW
filter in the sub-Rx is not required.  I have 13-KHz, 2.8-KHz, and
400-Hz filters in the main-Rx.

I do have two LP-Pan for connection to both main-RX and sub-Rx IF
outputs in order to provide audio IQ signals to my computer via a
four port M-Audio Delta44 soundcard.  This is how I implement my
dual-pol reception system for 2m-eme and accomplish 96-KHz bandspan
bandwidth (limit of Delta44 soundcard).

For simple bandspan reception I use the LP-Pan and emu-0202 at up to
192-KHz bandwidth on the main-Rx.

73, Ed - KL7UW, WD2XSH/45

Re: K3 - P3 or LP-PAN comparison

N8LP
If you haven't tried it, play with the FFT samples and averaging a bit more. Also the DSP windowing functions. It should be possible to set the RBW for NaP3 to be the same, higher or lower than P3, and the setting is saved per mode and per band. The FFT settings have changed over time with the various releases of NaP3, so the version you use will matter.

Larry N8LP

Dick Green WC1M-2 wrote
> [...]

P3.)

On the SubRX, whether money should be spent on that over a P3 depends very
much on what you do with the radio. I would probably go for the sub because
it makes the K3 a much more powerful radio. If you're a DX-er, it's
indispensable because it allows dual-watch. If you're a contester with the
right kind of antennas (ideally, opposite polarity), Diversity reception can
be an unbelievable upgrade to your station -- it was for mine. That said, I
use a full-size 2-el 40m beam at 110' and a full-size 40m 4-square with 60
radials per element. That combo had better be good! As has been noted,
Diversity does require purchasing identical filters for all bandwidths with
which you want to do Diversity reception. If you aren't a DX-er or a serious
contester, then a sub might be less important and a P3 might make more sense

thanks for help w/ P3 and LP-PAN

RobertG
I just discovered an email filter that was trashing responses to my
request for opinions about the P3 and LP-PAN. Thanks to all who replied.
Very helpful.
...robert

--
Robert G. Strickland, PhD, ABPH - KE2WY
[hidden email]
Syracuse, New York, USA

Re: thanks for help w/ P3 and LP-PAN

N0AZZ
One very good option is the RF Space SDR-IQ receiver/panadapter. I had
LP-Pan for a year or so and it seemed that software problems had it down
more than it ran. So I sold it and bought the SDR-IQ have been well pleased
plus another good receiver also.

73,
Fred/N0AZZ

--