K3 - Poised to place my order

ve3dvy
Im Ordering in kit form a pretty basic rig to start with then adding
later as funds allow.    Just K3-100 KAT3 and perhaps one filter for CW
to start.
I need it running before Field Day  as I doubt my current rig that's
well used, aged and starting to show problems,  will survive another
trip to the bigtop in the park.

  I am wondering how long after the order does it typically take for K3
kit orders to ship?       second  outside of my growing enjoyment in
contesting and DX  I do so some rag chew and  take the net control
chair,  is the 2.8 8-pole filter going to offer much difference in the
audio on both RX and TX?      In other words what advantages does the
2.8 offer over the 2.7

Dave ve3dvy

Re: K3 - Poised to place my order

Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ
Administrator
Kits - 1 to 3 days typically.

73,

Eric

www.elecraft.com
_..._

On Mar 30, 2012, at 8:07 PM, david Moes <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Im Ordering in kit form a pretty basic rig to start with then adding
> later as funds allow.    Just K3-100 KAT3 and perhaps one filter for CW
> to start.
> I need it running before Field Day  as I doubt my current rig that's
> well used, aged and starting to show problems,  will survive another
> trip to the bigtop in the park.
>
>  I am wondering how long after the order does it typically take for K3
> kit orders to ship?       second  outside of my growing enjoyment in
> contesting and DX  I do so some rag chew and  take the net control
> chair,  is the 2.8 8-pole filter going to offer much difference in the
> audio on both RX and TX?      In other words what advantages does the
> 2.8 offer over the 2.7
>

> Dave ve3dvy

Re: K3 - Poised to place my order

w0mu
The 5 pole SSB is probably just fine for most people.  I would suggest
the 400hz CW filter.

If you are going to hook the radio up to a computer for contesting etc
you will probably want the KIO board and if you use receive antennas the
Xvtr board.

I have two K3's and love them!

Mike W0MU

W0MU-1 CC Cluster w0mu.net

On 3/30/2012 10:48 PM, Eric Swartz WA6HHQ - Elecraft wrote:

> Kits - 1 to 3 days typically.
>
> 73,
>
> Eric
>
> www.elecraft.com
> _..._
>

> On Mar 30, 2012, at 8:07 PM, david Moes<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>
>> Im Ordering in kit form a pretty basic rig to start with then adding
>> later as funds allow.    Just K3-100 KAT3 and perhaps one filter for CW
>> to start.
>> I need it running before Field Day  as I doubt my current rig that's
>> well used, aged and starting to show problems,  will survive another
>> trip to the bigtop in the park.
>>
>>   I am wondering how long after the order does it typically take for K3
>> kit orders to ship?       second  outside of my growing enjoyment in
>> contesting and DX  I do so some rag chew and  take the net control
>> chair,  is the 2.8 8-pole filter going to offer much difference in the
>> audio on both RX and TX?      In other words what advantages does the
>> 2.8 offer over the 2.7
>>

>> Dave ve3dvy
>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]

Re: K3 - Poised to place my order

ve3dvy
Isn't the KIO included?   I do plan to hook up to the PC   also to the
sound for psk, DRM and SSTV

In the future the transverter adapter is probably one of the earlier
add-ons for the RX antenna and  then some additional filters.    then
later the sub receiver.  ++++ more.
not sure if I need the KTCXO3-1TCXO   for general use. but might help
with DRM and some of the digital modes.   Thoughts?

After seeing the ads in QST and spending a year or more researching
comparing and saving the bucks I'm convinced that the K3 is a perfect
fit for my needs plus.     It will be my main station rig plus will go
on the road for events and to the cottage.

> If you are going to hook the radio up to a computer for contesting etc
> you will probably want the KIO board and if you use receive antennas the
> Xvtr board.
>
> I have two K3's and love them!
>
> Mike W0MU
>
> W0MU-1 CC Cluster w0mu.net

Re: K3 - Poised to place my order

Bruce Beford-2
Yes, the KIO3 board is a part of the basic K3. You do not need to include it
with your order, nor is it even an option on the order page.
73,
Bruce, N1RX

> Isn't the KIO included?   I do plan to hook up to the PC   also to the
> sound for psk, DRM and SSTV

Re: K3 - Poised to place my order

Dick Dievendorff
Every K3 includes the KIO3 I/O interface that provides connectivity to a PC.
Every K3 owner needs this to install firmware.  It's standard.

The K2 (not K3) has an optional KIO2 interface. Perhaps that's the source of
the confusion.

73 de Dick, K6KR

Isn't the KIO included?   I do plan to hook up to the PC   also to the
sound for psk, DRM and SSTV

In the future the transverter adapter is probably one of the earlier
add-ons for the RX antenna and  then some additional filters.    then
later the sub receiver.  ++++ more.
not sure if I need the KTCXO3-1TCXO   for general use. but might help
with DRM and some of the digital modes.   Thoughts?

After seeing the ads in QST and spending a year or more researching
comparing and saving the bucks I'm convinced that the K3 is a perfect
fit for my needs plus.     It will be my main station rig plus will go
on the road for events and to the cottage.

> If you are going to hook the radio up to a computer for contesting etc
> you will probably want the KIO board and if you use receive antennas
> the Xvtr board.
>
> I have two K3's and love them!
>
> Mike W0MU
>
> W0MU-1 CC Cluster w0mu.net

Re: K3 - Poised to place my order

w0mu
Sorry for misleading anyone about the KIO board.  It was late Hi!

I got both my K3's without the TCXO option and you will notice some
drift until the rig warms up.  I broke down and got the TCXO options for
both.   I am happy I did.

Good luck with the K3 you will love it!

Mike W0MU

W0MU-1 CC Cluster w0mu.net

On 3/31/2012 7:08 AM, david Moes wrote:

> Isn't the KIO included?   I do plan to hook up to the PC   also to the
> sound for psk, DRM and SSTV
>
> In the future the transverter adapter is probably one of the earlier
> add-ons for the RX antenna and  then some additional filters.    then
> later the sub receiver.  ++++ more.
> not sure if I need the KTCXO3-1TCXO   for general use. but might help
> with DRM and some of the digital modes.   Thoughts?
>
> After seeing the ads in QST and spending a year or more researching
> comparing and saving the bucks I'm convinced that the K3 is a perfect
> fit for my needs plus.     It will be my main station rig plus will go
> on the road for events and to the cottage.
>
>> If you are going to hook the radio up to a computer for contesting etc
>> you will probably want the KIO board and if you use receive antennas the
>> Xvtr board.
>>
>> I have two K3's and love them!
>>
>> Mike W0MU
>>
>> W0MU-1 CC Cluster w0mu.net

Re: K3 - Poised to place my order

ve3dvy
The most painful part of ordering a new toy is the wait for it to arrive
after the order is placed.

Its ordered   just the K3, KPA100 and KAT3  for now.

> Im Ordering in kit form a pretty basic rig to start with then adding
> later as funds allow.    Just K3-100 KAT3 and perhaps one filter for CW
> to start.
> I need it running before Field Day  as I doubt my current rig that's
> well used, aged and starting to show problems,  will survive another
> trip to the bigtop in the park.
>
>    I am wondering how long after the order does it typically take for K3
> kit orders to ship?       second  outside of my growing enjoyment in
> contesting and DX  I do so some rag chew and  take the net control
> chair,  is the 2.8 8-pole filter going to offer much difference in the
> audio on both RX and TX?      In other words what advantages does the
> 2.8 offer over the 2.7

Re: K3 - Poised to place my order

Don Wilhelm-4
David,

I hope you ordered the KPA3 rather than the KPA100.
The KPA100 is for the K2.

If you did actually order the KPA100, just contact [hidden email] to
modify your order.

On 4/4/2012 8:29 PM, david Moes wrote:

> The most painful part of ordering a new toy is the wait for it to arrive
> after the order is placed.
>
> Its ordered   just the K3, KPA100 and KAT3  for now.
>

>> Im Ordering in kit form a pretty basic rig to start with then adding
>> later as funds allow.    Just K3-100 KAT3 and perhaps one filter for CW
>> to start.
>> I need it running before Field Day  as I doubt my current rig that's
>> well used, aged and starting to show problems,  will survive another
>> trip to the bigtop in the park.
>>
>>     I am wondering how long after the order does it typically take for K3
>> kit orders to ship?       second  outside of my growing enjoyment in
>> contesting and DX  I do so some rag chew and  take the net control
>> chair,  is the 2.8 8-pole filter going to offer much difference in the
>> audio on both RX and TX?      In other words what advantages does the
>> 2.8 offer over the 2.7

Re: K3 - Poised to place my order

Jim Low man
Agreed, David.

I'm one of the many who are anxiously awaiting the KX3 that I ordered a
few days
after orders were being accepted.

In the meantime, I decided to order a K3 as well.  Per the Elecraft
order status page,
K3 kits ship 1-3 business days after the order is received.  This will
give me something
to play with in the meantime.

I'm also interested in the advantages of the 2.8 filter over the 2.7,
other than the
former is a 5-pole filter and the latter is an 8-pole filter.  The CW
filters that I'm
ordering (250 and 400) all will be the 8-pole variety.

Since I didn't put the paddle and mic on the initial order for the KX3,
I was curious
if I could order them now, along with the K3.  Lisa provided the answer
almost
immediately:  yes on the mic and no on the paddle.

73 de Jim - AD6CW

On 4/4/2012 5:29 PM, david Moes wrote:

> The most painful part of ordering a new toy is the wait for it to arrive
> after the order is placed.
>
> Its ordered   just the K3, KPA100 and KAT3  for now.
>

>> Im Ordering in kit form a pretty basic rig to start with then adding
>> later as funds allow.    Just K3-100 KAT3 and perhaps one filter for CW
>> to start.
>> I need it running before Field Day  as I doubt my current rig that's
>> well used, aged and starting to show problems,  will survive another
>> trip to the bigtop in the park.
>>
>>     I am wondering how long after the order does it typically take for K3
>> kit orders to ship?       second  outside of my growing enjoyment in
>> contesting and DX  I do so some rag chew and  take the net control
>> chair,  is the 2.8 8-pole filter going to offer much difference in the
>> audio on both RX and TX?      In other words what advantages does the
>> 2.8 offer over the 2.7

Re: K3 - Poised to place my order

Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ
Administrator
You can also add items to your KX3 order prior to when it ships. They will ship with the  KX3.

Just reference your original order with your option add-on order.

73,
Eric

www.elecraft.com
_..._

On Apr 4, 2012, at 6:37 PM, Jim Lowman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Agreed, David.
>
> I'm one of the many who are anxiously awaiting the KX3 that I ordered a
> few days after orders were being accepted.

> Since I didn't put the paddle and mic on the initial order for the KX3,
> I was curious
> if I could order them now, along with the K3.  Lisa provided the answer
> almost
> immediately:  yes on the mic and no on the paddle.
>
> 73 de Jim - AD6CW

Re: K3 - Poised to place my order

ny4g
Eric

How do I find out where I am in the queue?

I have been checking the shipping status page and it indicates that you are still  processing first day orders which may really be the case

Ariel NY4G

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 5, 2012, at 1:19 AM, "Eric Swartz WA6HHQ - Elecraft" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> You can also add items to your KX3 order prior to when it ships. They will ship with the  KX3.
>
> Just reference your original order with your option add-on order.
>
> 73,
> Eric
>
> www.elecraft.com
> _..._
>

> On Apr 4, 2012, at 6:37 PM, Jim Lowman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Agreed, David.
>>
>> I'm one of the many who are anxiously awaiting the KX3 that I ordered a
>> few days after orders were being accepted.

>> Since I didn't put the paddle and mic on the initial order for the KX3,
>> I was curious
>> if I could order them now, along with the K3.  Lisa provided the answer
>> almost
>> immediately:  yes on the mic and no on the paddle.
>>
>> 73 de Jim - AD6CW

Re: K3 - Poised to place my order

ve3dvy
Thanks Don

It was just a slip of the finger on the keyboard.   my order was
actually for the k3/100 kit which includes the KPA3

David Moes
VE3DVY