K3 Utility version 1.2.1.6 available on Elecraft web site

K3 Utility version 1.2.1.6 available on Elecraft web site

Dick Dievendorff

K3 Utility Version 1.2.1.6 for Windows, Mac OS/X and Linux, is now available on the Elecraft web site at http://www.elecraft.com/K3/k3_software.htm

This version supports the new “Power On Banner” feature offered in MCU version 2.77 and later.

The new MCU 2.78 Beta Release that supports this feature is available on the same web page.

The K3 Utility’s Configuration Tab has a new “Edit Power On Banner” button that opens a dialog where you may enter a short (22 character) message that is displayed as a “marquee banner” during the K3 power on sequence.  The banner is displayed with MCU 2.77 and later.

This K3 Utility Version also fixes a bug in the Transmitter Gain Calibration process.  In the prior K3 Utility version Tx Gain Calibration failed if CONFIG:TECH MD was OFF.

I’d again like to thank Brian Broggie, W6FVI, for sharing the Elecraft lab tool for Tx Gain Calibration that was the basis for the K3 Utility Tx Gain calibration feature.

David Fleming, W4SMT, is the author of the Mac and Linux versions of the K3 Utility and also deserves our thanks for a lot of hard work.

73 de Dick, K6KR

K3 Modifications Photos

Don Nesbitt

I’ve posted a few photos of the modifications that I made at the same time I installed the KDVR3.  Modifications include:

- External ALC Modification and Optional Pull-Up resistors for Band Outputs

- AF Stage Upgrade – Line Out and Speaker Amplifier (the “easy” way & using the SMD resistors)

- Front Panel Microphone Circuit Modification – Application Note

- Improving the Immunity of the Rear-Panel RS232 and Audio Connectors to RF – Application Note

And, a TOTALLY UNAUTHORIZED implementation of the “K3 Caution when using an external monaural speaker” post to the reflector by Wayne on December 20, 2008.  The email outlines a circuit modification which is meant to protect the audio output chip from spikes by putting a 470 ohm resistor to ground from each of the speaker outputs and suggests that a convenient place to do this would be on the audio daughter board at the single-row, right angle male connector.  You can see how I did this in the photo.  I’d advise you to WAIT until Lyle creates an actual application note and posts it!  DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK!  For all I know, I’ve got it wrong – but – didn’t see any smoke and it seems to work – for me!  YMMV!

You can see my simple photos at:  http://www.flickr.com/photos/n4hh

No registration is required.  Use the “Slideshow” for larger images.

While I really didn’t notice a “need” to do these modifications, it was convenient to do them along with the installation of the DVR.  None of these modifications (including installing the KDVR3) required the removal of the Sub-Rx and other than being a bit tedious, were simple and straight forward including using a toothpick to hold down the SMDs!  Have fun!  ‘73 es gud dxing – Don N4HH  K3/100 #83

Re: K3 Utility version 1.2.1.6 available on Elecraft web site

Dick Dievendorff
You're welcome to try it, and you're welcome to wait until others have tried
it.  It's not that hard to go back.  The K3 Field Test team has used this
version for a little while.  Beta doesn't mean that it's completely
untested. There is an "Alpha" test as well.

Some people enjoy being early adopters; some don't.  I have been on both
sides of this issue at different times depending on the product and my
intended use.

It's your radio!  The choice is yours.

I load firmware sometimes dozens of times a day, so going back to the
"official" web site version is not difficult if I didn't like some aspect of
the new version.

The intent of the Beta program is to allow people who wish to try the
"latest and greatest" have access to it, knowing that it's fairly new. There
is a fallback version available, and it's pretty easy to fall back.  It
takes me about 5 minutes to load all the firmware in the K3.

73 de Dick, K6KR

  "Dick Dievendorff" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> K3 Utility Version 1.2.1.6 for Windows, Mac OS/X and Linux, is now
available
> on the Elecraft web site at http://www.elecraft.com/K3/k3_software.htm
>

> This version supports the new "Power On Banner" feature offered in MCU
> version 2.77 and later.
>
> The new MCU 2.78 Beta Release that supports this feature is available on
the
> same web page.
>

> The K3 Utility's Configuration Tab has a new "Edit Power On Banner" button
> that opens a dialog where you may enter a short (22 character) message
that
> is displayed as a "marquee banner" during the K3 power on sequence.  The
> banner is displayed with MCU 2.77 and later.
>

> This K3 Utility Version also fixes a bug in the Transmitter Gain
Calibration

> process.  In the prior K3 Utility version Tx Gain Calibration failed if
> CONFIG:TECH MD was OFF.
>

> I'd again like to thank Brian Broggie, W6FVI, for sharing the Elecraft lab
> tool for Tx Gain Calibration that was the basis for the K3 Utility Tx Gain
> calibration feature.
>

> David Fleming, W4SMT, is the author of the Mac and Linux versions of the
K3
> Utility and also deserves our thanks for a lot of hard work.
>

> 73 de Dick, K6KR
******************
Dear Dick,

Since the LATEST software VERSION UPDATE is "BETA" then should'nt all of us
WAIT until all the
KINKS ARE WORKED OUT OF THAT VERSION before using that NEW DOWNLOAD???

In our mind "BETA" still means in the "experimental-stage!!!"

Whaddah ya think???

Regards,

Jim/nn6ee
s/n2406

Re: K3 Modifications Photos

Pete Connors F5VNB
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: K3 Utility version 1.2.1.6 available on Elecraft web site

David Woolley (E.L)
JIM DAVIS wrote:

> Since the LATEST software VERSION UPDATE is "BETA" then should'nt all of
> us WAIT until all the KINKS ARE WORKED OUT OF THAT VERSION before using
> that NEW DOWNLOAD???

Although much abused by the software industry in the last decade, BETA
doesn't mean experimental, and it is essential that end users use BETA
software, other it is only ALPHA.

What BETA should mean is that the software appears to work for internal
testers, but needs to be tested by end users, to find the bugs that only
a real user can find, and to refine user interface issues.
Traditionally, only selected users would be beta testers, and, in return
for early access, they were expected to be thorough in providing feedback.

What has happened recently is that "wide betas" have been used as a way
of cornering the market without having to provide a release quality product.

Note, you seem to have only blind copied the list!
--
David Woolley