K3 add on kit idea

Mike Scott-7
Recently there was a request for ideas for kits that could be useful to
accompany a K3.

When we use diversity mode antenna switching becomes a different problem
than I have run into before. The usual antenna switch routes many antennas
to one radio port. Some of us have many antennas that need routing to two or
more radio ports.

So I could imagine a useful kit would read K3 band decode and map something
like 6 or 8 antennas to 2 or 3 ports and makes sure the K3 does not transmit
into the other radio ports.

Some attention to stations using two K3's or a second receiver might be
useful also. Not sure what this would entail because I don't operate that
way.

Mike Scott - AE6WA
Tarzana, CA (DM04 / near LA)
NAQCC 3535
K3-100 #508 / KX1  #1311

Re: K3 add on kit idea

Jack Smith-6
Partial answer to your desire is the Z1300 antenna multicoupler. One
input, and either 4 or 8 outputs. Isolation between each output port and
frequency range of 20 KHz to 50 MHz with very good IP2 and IP3 performance.

It's still under development, but I'm on the second round of prototype
PCBs, with a target ship date around the end of May.

I'll have more details and photos and performance measurements and
pricing at my web page when the ship date is a  bit closer. Available as
a kit or wired/tested, and with some options, although the early release
may not have all optional boards available.

Jack K8ZOA
www.cliftonlaboratories.com

Mike Scott wrote:

> Recently there was a request for ideas for kits that could be useful to
> accompany a K3.
>
> When we use diversity mode antenna switching becomes a different problem
> than I have run into before. The usual antenna switch routes many antennas
> to one radio port. Some of us have many antennas that need routing to two or
> more radio ports.
>
> So I could imagine a useful kit would read K3 band decode and map something
> like 6 or 8 antennas to 2 or 3 ports and makes sure the K3 does not transmit
> into the other radio ports.
>
> Some attention to stations using two K3's or a second receiver might be
> useful also. Not sure what this would entail because I don't operate that
> way.
>

> Mike Scott - AE6WA
> Tarzana, CA (DM04 / near LA)
> NAQCC 3535
> K3-100 #508 / KX1  #1311

Re: K3 add on kit idea

WILLIS COOKE

Array solutions has such a product called Six Pack.  You will like the product, I think, but you may choke at the price.

Willis 'Cookie' Cooke
K5EWJ

> Recently there was a request for ideas for kits that could
> be useful to
> accompany a K3.
>
> When we use diversity mode antenna switching becomes a
> different problem
> than I have run into before. The usual antenna switch
> routes many antennas
> to one radio port. Some of us have many antennas that need
> routing to two or
> more radio ports.
>
> So I could imagine a useful kit would read K3 band decode
> and map something
> like 6 or 8 antennas to 2 or 3 ports and makes sure the K3
> does not transmit
> into the other radio ports.
>
> Some attention to stations using two K3's or a second
> receiver might be
> useful also. Not sure what this would entail because I
> don't operate that
> way.
>

> Mike Scott - AE6WA
> Tarzana, CA (DM04 / near LA)
> NAQCC 3535
> K3-100 #508 / KX1  #1311

> Please help support this email list:
> http://www.qsl.net/donate.html

Re: K3 add on kit idea

Dick Dievendorff
The Array Solutions SixPak is an antenna switch, but I don't think it
decodes band line input, at least the one I have doesn't.  I was thinking of
their DBS-1 and DBS-2 or "BandMaster" products.

Dick, K6KR

Array solutions has such a product called Six Pack.  You will like the
product, I think, but you may choke at the price.

Willis 'Cookie' Cooke
K5EWJ

> Recently there was a request for ideas for kits that could
> be useful to
> accompany a K3.
>
> When we use diversity mode antenna switching becomes a
> different problem
> than I have run into before. The usual antenna switch
> routes many antennas
> to one radio port. Some of us have many antennas that need
> routing to two or
> more radio ports.
>
> So I could imagine a useful kit would read K3 band decode
> and map something
> like 6 or 8 antennas to 2 or 3 ports and makes sure the K3
> does not transmit
> into the other radio ports.
>
> Some attention to stations using two K3's or a second
> receiver might be
> useful also. Not sure what this would entail because I
> don't operate that
> way.
>

> Mike Scott - AE6WA
> Tarzana, CA (DM04 / near LA)
> NAQCC 3535
> K3-100 #508 / KX1  #1311

> Please help support this email list:
> http://www.qsl.net/donate.html

Re: K3 add on kit idea

Jack Brindle
Actually the KRC2 should be able to do this now. It has up to 16
outputs that can be mapped to switch antennas whichever way you would
like, based on the band your K2 or K3 is tuned to.

You _do_ bring up some rather interesting ideas...

On Apr 17, 2009, at 8:31 AM, Dick Dievendorff wrote:

> The Array Solutions SixPak is an antenna switch, but I don't think it
> decodes band line input, at least the one I have doesn't.  I was
> thinking of
> their DBS-1 and DBS-2 or "BandMaster" products.
>
> Dick, K6KR

- Jack Brindle, W6FB

Re: K3 add on kit idea

WILLIS COOKE

I think you are correct, it is an antenna switch that allows multiple antennas and multiple connections.  Such a product that decodes what antenna you want and what connection you want would be a really ambitious product.  The SteppIR antennas with a transceiver interface might be a solution.  I have the SteppIR and the K3, but my antenna selection is all manual.  I don't even have the Six Pack.

Willis 'Cookie' Cooke
K5EWJ

> The Array Solutions SixPak is an antenna switch, but I
> don't think it
> decodes band line input, at least the one I have
> doesn't.  I was thinking of
> their DBS-1 and DBS-2 or "BandMaster" products.
>
> Dick, K6KR

Re: K3 add on kit idea

Bill W4ZV
AE6WA wrote:

> So I could imagine a useful kit would read K3 band decode and map something
like 6 or 8 antennas to 2 or 3 ports and makes sure the K3 does not transmit
into the other radio ports.

This is what you need:

http://k9ay.com/Products/RAS8x2data.htm

...available from Array Solutions.

73,  Bill  W4ZV

Re: K3 add on kit idea

Andy Faber
Bill,
  We have one of these at P40L-P49Y in Aruba.  It works great for switching
beverage receive antennas between two radios.  But it's not intended for
transmitting, so it may not fill the bill.  For transmitting, we use band
decoders feeding a SixPak (and, as noted, the Yaesu decoder works fine with
the K3).
73, andy, ae6y
>> So I could imagine a useful kit would read K3 band decode and map
>> something
> like 6 or 8 antennas to 2 or 3 ports and makes sure the K3 does not
> transmit
> into the other radio ports.
>
> This is what you need:
>
> http://k9ay.com/Products/RAS8x2data.htm
>
> ...available from Array Solutions.
>
> 73,  Bill  W4ZV

Re: [Elecraft] K3 add on kit idea

Bill W4ZV
Hi Andy,

On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 12:45 PM, Andy Faber (via Nabble)
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>   We have one of these at P40L-P49Y in Aruba.  It works great for switching
> beverage receive antennas between two radios.  But it's not intended for
> transmitting, so it may not fill the bill.

I believe Mike's original question (not morphed) had to do with
switching RX antennas for *diversity receive*...not for transmitting.
See below:

AE6WA wrote:

When we use diversity mode antenna switching becomes a different problem
than I have run into before. The usual antenna switch routes many antennas
to one radio port. Some of us have many antennas that need routing to two or
more radio ports.

So I could imagine a useful kit would read K3 band decode and map something
like 6 or 8 antennas to 2 or 3 ports and makes sure the K3 does not transmit
into the other radio ports.

Some attention to stations using two K3's or a second receiver might be
useful also. Not sure what this would entail because I don't operate that
way.

http://mailman.qth.net/pipermail/elecraft/2009-April/109172.html

You can connect up to 8 RX antennas to the RAS 8X2, and then feed the
two outputs to RX ANT (Main) and AUX RF (Sub).  You can then choose
any combination (even including the TX antenna on ANT1 if you tapped
RX ANT off on Main) without running the risk of RF being accidentally
sent into the K3 during TX.  This would only work for one TX antenna
at a time however unless you added additional switching.  Of course
this also assumes you have some reasonable level of isolation between
your external TX antenna and all the RX antennas.  If you didn't have
that, the RX antennas probably wouldn't work right in the first place
due to interaction effects.

73,  Bill  W4ZV

Re: K3 add on kit idea

Mike Scott-7

Cookie wrote> Array solutions has such a product called Six Pack.  You will
>like the product, I think, but you may choke at the price.

I am not sure the Six Pack will do the job. From a review of the Six Pack I
found this little piece of information:

"There is one scenario that the user must always be aware of. For example,
if Radio A is on the 20-meter position and Radio B is also switched to 20
meters, Radio B is interlocked out and therefore is disconnected from any
antenna."

I am not really sure that I read this as a limitation for a single K3 or
not. The price is too high anyway.

Mike Scott - AE6WA
Tarzana, CA (DM04 / near LA)
NAQCC 3535
K3-100 #508 / KX1  #1311

Re: K3 add on kit idea

n7ws

What would also be nice is to have an option to map memories 0-9 to the KIO Band Outputs.

This would allow for instance, selecting remote antenna matching networks within "the same band."  Seventy-five and 80-meters leaps to mind.  Switching directional antennas might be another possibility.

Wes  N7WS

> Actually the KRC2 should be able to do this now. It has up
> to 16
> outputs that can be mapped to switch antennas whichever way
> you would
> like, based on the band your K2 or K3 is tuned to.
>
> You _do_ bring up some rather interesting ideas...
>

> On Apr 17, 2009, at 8:31 AM, Dick Dievendorff wrote:
>
> > The Array Solutions SixPak is an antenna switch, but I
> don't think it
> > decodes band line input, at least the one I have
> doesn't.  I was
> > thinking of
> > their DBS-1 and DBS-2 or "BandMaster"
> products.
> >
> > Dick, K6KR

Re: K3 add on kit idea

Dick PA3CW
Like the antenna's...my idea has to do with a lot of paddles / keys.  I like a box with 6 or so inputs (stereo plugs), in which i can plug either straight keys or paddles.  It has to accept all wiring possibilities. By pressing the straight key down, or paddling first dot and than dash, the input has to recognize the proper wiring.  Output has to go to two or more different transmitters. I would love such an add on!!
Tried to program it in a PIC once but as i am no programmer did not succeed fully.  A small display can be added to the device. What an innovation for CW, never saw such a device!
Dick PA3CW

Mike Scott-7 wrote
[...]

Dick Hissink PA3CW
kx1 / k2 / k3 owner

Re: K3 add on kit idea

Tom Haavisto
This is not a limitation of the six-pak - it is a design feature.  The
issue is - the six-pak is designed for SO2R (single operator, 2 radio)
use, and is designed that way so you cannot connect two radios to the
same antenna at the same time.  Bad things can happen if you do that.

As noted, there are different solutions for use with receive-only
antenna solutions.

Tom - VE3CX

On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 1:04 PM, Mike Scott <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Cookie wrote> Array solutions has such a product called Six Pack.  You will
>>like the product, I think, but you may choke at the price.
>
> I am not sure the Six Pack will do the job. From a review of the Six Pack I
> found this little piece of information:
>
> "There is one scenario that the user must always be aware of. For example,
> if Radio A is on the 20-meter position and Radio B is also switched to 20
> meters, Radio B is interlocked out and therefore is disconnected from any
> antenna."

Re: K3 add on kit idea

dj7mgq

> So I could imagine a useful kit would read K3 band decode and map something
> like 6 or 8 antennas to 2 or 3 ports and makes sure the K3 does not transmit
> into the other radio ports.

Do you mean something like this
<http://www.4o3a.com/sac-x-stand-alone-antenna-controller-for-21-antennas/sac-x-stand-alone-antenna-controller-for-21-antennas/flypage.tpl.html>?

Re: K3 add on kit idea

Mike Scott-7

>>This is what you need:

http://k9ay.com/Products/RAS8x2data.htm

...available from Array Solutions.

Bill,
This is close but for selection of receive antennas only. All of my current
antennas are transmit/receive and of course the two primary K3 ports will be
antenna 1 and antenna 2, both are transmit capable. So this product wouldn't
last long after I made the first mistake.

Mike Scott - AE6WA
Tarzana, CA (DM04 / near LA)
NAQCC 3535
K3-100 #508 / KX1  #1311