K3 and WSJT-X 1.7

Sverre Holm (LA3ZA)
On the wsjtgroup at Yahoo, there are now two of us who have a problem with the newly released version of the WSJT-X program and the audio output level/VOX for the K3.

KY7M describes it as follows: "I have been transmitting perfectly in WSJT-X 1.6.  As soon as I install 1.7, my transmit light goes on, but no audio goes out unless I turn off VOX and turn it on again. "

I have the same symptom and I could sort of resolve it by changing the audio output level up and down on the WSJT-X program (Pwr slider). But in the end it was so annoying that I reverted back to the old version, 1.6.

Does anyone understand what is going on?
Sverre, LA3ZA

K2 #2198, K3 #3391,
LA3ZA Blog: http://la3za.blogspot.com,
LA3ZA Unofficial Guide to K2 modifications: http://la3za.blogspot.com/p/la3za-unofficial-guide-to-elecraft-k2.html

Re: K3 and WSJT-X 1.7

Joe Subich, W4TV-4

Is this when transmitting?  If so, try setting Mode = "None" and
Split Operation = "None" in the WSJT-X File -> Settings -> Radio
tab.

You may want to contact Elecraft Support to see if you can get access
to the field test firmware (5.56).  WSJT-X can (and often does) send
the split or data sub-mode commands to the K3 *AFTER* PTT has been
activated.  Receiving a Split or data sub-mode command while in
transmit will cause the K3/K3S/KX2/KX3 to mute transmitted audio.

The K3/K3S/KX2/KX3 all ignore the front panel split and mode buttons
while in transmit, one would assume that software developers would
do the same thing and not use commands that are forbidden from the
front panel while in transmit.  Unfortunately, the developers of
WSJT-X chose to ignore that simple fact (in spite of being warned on
many occasions of the potential for improper operation).  Wayne has
modified the firmware to mask the problematic commands (FA, DT, FT,
and FR,) beginning with firmware version 5.56 for the K3/K3S.  However
that version has not been released for public beta according to the
web page.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV

On 12/23/2016 5:13 PM, Sverre Holm (LA3ZA) wrote:

> On the wsjtgroup at Yahoo, there are now two of us who have a problem with
> the newly released version of the WSJT-X program and the audio output
> level/VOX for the K3.
>
> KY7M describes it as follows: "I have been transmitting perfectly in WSJT-X
> 1.6.  As soon as I install 1.7, my transmit light goes on, but no audio goes
> out unless I turn off VOX and turn it on again. "
>
> I have the same symptom and I could sort of resolve it by changing the audio
> output level up and down on the WSJT-X program (Pwr slider). But in the end
> it was so annoying that I reverted back to the old version, 1.6.
>
> Does anyone understand what is going on?
>

> -----
> Sverre, LA3ZA
>
> K2 #2198, K3 #3391,
> LA3ZA Blog: http://la3za.blogspot.com,
> LA3ZA Unofficial Guide to K2 modifications: http://la3za.blogspot.com/p/la3za-unofficial-guide-to-elecraft-k2.html

> Message delivered to [hidden email]

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: K3 and WSJT-X 1.7

Sverre Holm (LA3ZA)
Hi Joe

Thanks for the explanation. It sounds like this is it as it explains why the K3's VOX has to be reengaged in order to continue transmitting.

Sverre, LA3ZA

K2 #2198, K3 #3391,
LA3ZA Blog: http://la3za.blogspot.com,
LA3ZA Unofficial Guide to K2 modifications: http://la3za.blogspot.com/p/la3za-unofficial-guide-to-elecraft-k2.html

Re: K3 and WSJT-X 1.7

Sverre Holm (LA3ZA)
It seems like I get my K3 and the new 1.7 version of WSJT-X to work together if I set up the program for only Split = "Fake it", but not Mode = "Data/Pkt" (so it is set for "None"). Two of these commands seems to be too much for the timing, but one alone is fine.

Joe Subich, W4TV-4 wrote
Is this when transmitting?  If so, try setting Mode = "None" and
Split Operation = "None" in the WSJT-X File -> Settings -> Radio
tab.
Sverre, LA3ZA

K2 #2198, K3 #3391,
LA3ZA Blog: http://la3za.blogspot.com,
LA3ZA Unofficial Guide to K2 modifications: http://la3za.blogspot.com/p/la3za-unofficial-guide-to-elecraft-k2.html

Re: K3 and WSJT-X 1.7

KY7M
This one change of "Mode=None" solved my K3/Microham MK II issue.  I now have WSJT-X v.1.7 working perfectly.  Thank you!!!

Lee, KY7M

Re: K3 and WSJT-X 1.7

Nate Bargmann
My K3 has FW 5.50 and I made my first JT65 QSO with WSJT-X 1.7 today.  I
have the configuration as recommended--Mode :Data/Pkt, Split Operation:
Rig.  I am also using CAT for the PTT Method.  I've made a couple of
calls with the radio in Split mode and VFO B is 1 kHz lower than VFO A.
I am definitely seeing power out.

As I'm not using VOX, could that be related?

73, Nate, N0NB

possible worlds.  The pessimist fears this is true."

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: K3 and WSJT-X 1.7

Elecraft mailing list
Congratulations on your first JT65 QSO !

What you are seeing is *correct*. The way Joe Taylor and his gangdesigned the system, VFO B may be set to a slightly lower frequency thanyour "dial" frequency on VFO A, so that the software will emit tonesin a very specific range of audio frequencies. You can verify this byslightly altering the audio frequency of the WSJT-X in the middle of thebottom part of the control screen, below the 'Tx even/1st' checkbox.Toggle it down to say, 500Hz and see what it does to VFOB. Then toggleit up to, say 2150Hz, and see how it changes.

BTW, this behavior is NOT specific to an operating system, so if you'rerunning Linux, chances are extremely high you're seeing the same thingthat I'm seeing under MacOS. And, no, it's not related to using VOX.

You'll also see it dart around when you click on an interesting callsignin the "Band Activity" display and the software automatically tees up yoursystem so that you can call that juicy DX station calling CQ :-).

If you want to know exactly what frequencies they're constraining thesoftware to, you'll need to go to their web site and look through some ofthe design notes, etc. It's, um, pretty complex... bordering on magic, IMNSHO.
Apologies for any weird text formatting - I'm shamefacedly using Yahoo mail for this.
73, Brandy, N1HO

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: K3 and WSJT-X 1.7

Sverre Holm (LA3ZA)
Very interesting that you got "Split: Rig" to work. That setting never worked reliably for me in the past with WSJT-X 1.6, but a very brief test here also seems to indicate that it now works with version 1.7.

And BTW congratulations with your JT65 QSO. I hope you found it worthwhile and will continue using that mode!

Nate Bargmann wrote

* On 2016 26 Dec 16:36 -0600, Sverre Holm (LA3ZA) wrote:
> Very interesting that you got "Split: Rig" to work. That setting never worked
> reliably for me in the past with WSJT-X 1.6, but a very brief test here also
> seems to indicate that it now works with version 1.7.

I had tried 1.6 earlier this year, but for some reason did not stick
with it.  I was determined to check out 1.7 more closely as I have
applied many patches to Hamlib I received from Bill, G4WJS, and Mike,
W9MDB, who are working with the development of WJST-X.

I simply followed the user guide's setup and it all works for me.

> And BTW congratulations with your JT65 QSO. I hope you found it worthwhile
> and will continue using that mode!

So far I noticed that it's given life to what otherwise seemed like a
"dead" 15m.  Best DX was FK8HN in New Caledonia about an hour ago.  That
would be a new one if he uploads to LoTW as we're already confirmed on
eQSL.  So far, I have found that it's not quite like shooting fish in a
barrel.  A lot of my calls went unanswered as I could see some other
station being worked by the station I had called.