K3 using Kenwood mics

Linda and Bob
Can you use any 8-pin Kenwood mic with the K3 without any modification (e.g. MC-42S, MC-60A, MC-50 etc.)? I believe the K3 uses the Kenwood protocol for the wiring of their mics. I have a MC-60A desk mic and MC-42S hand mic. I was thinking of selling them for the Heil PSE HC-6 (see below).

I may buy and use a Heil Pro Set Elite with the HC-6 element for hands free operation with VOX. Since I have three ( ICOM 756 PROII, IC-820H and IC-7800) radios at the QTH, I imagine it would be best to order the "iC" version instead of the regular HC-6. In that way I could use the mic with both the ICOM and K3 knowing that I must turn on the bias voltage and also buy a Kenwood 8-pin Heil adapter if I plug it in to the front panel. If I don't use the front panel, I believe that I can plug the PSE HC-6 in to the rear panel of the K3 and then active the bias voltage. If used with the ICOM rigs, I would need to buy the Heil ICOM 8-pin adapter, hence, two adapters will be needed.

I ordered my K3 on Sunday. I am looking forward to its arrival by Wed. or Thurs. in time for the Labor Day holiday. Thanks again for everyone's help on the Reflector.

73
Bob Wilderman, K3SRO
[hidden email]

Re: K3 using Kenwood mics

Jim Brown-10
On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 10:30:38 -0400, Linda and Bob wrote:

>I may buy and use a Heil Pro Set Elite with the HC-6 element for hands free
>operation with VOX.

The best sounding and most comfortable headset mic is now the Yamaha CM500.
It plugs straight into the rear panel jacks of the K3. And it costs about
$50. The mic plug on the CM500 is a 1/8-in TRS plug. You will need to make a
simple connector adapter to use it with other rigs. Many of us are using this
headset with the K3 and love it.

73, Jim K9YC

Re: K3 using Kenwood mics

WU9B
I have used an MC60, the hand held Kenwood Mic that came with my TS440S and a Heil HC4 headset/mic wired for the Kenwood. No modifications necessary. There is an option in the K3 menus to disable the "UP-DOWN" buttons on the MC-60 that I use. It is called CONFIG MIC BTN and you set it to OFF. See page 13 and 57 of the manual (which you may download while you wait for your K3 to arrive). I look forward to owning the Yamaha CM500 one day as well. Raves reviews from all those who own it.
Steve WU9B

On Aug 30, 2010, at 7:52 AM, Jim Brown wrote:

> On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 10:30:38 -0400, Linda and Bob wrote:
>
>> I may buy and use a Heil Pro Set Elite with the HC-6 element for hands free
>> operation with VOX.
>
> The best sounding and most comfortable headset mic is now the Yamaha CM500.
> It plugs straight into the rear panel jacks of the K3. And it costs about
> $50. The mic plug on the CM500 is a 1/8-in TRS plug. You will need to make a
> simple connector adapter to use it with other rigs. Many of us are using this
> headset with the K3 and love it.
>
> 73, Jim K9YC

Re: K3 using Kenwood mics

  Bob,

The Elecraft mic pinout is *compatible* with the Kenwood pinout - BUT it
is not exactly the same.
Specifically, Elecraft uses pin 6 for +8 volts while Kenwood uses pin 5
for the voltage.

What that means is that most Kenwood dynamic microphones will work fine
with the Elecraft pinout, but any Kenwood mics which use either pins 5
or 6 in the microphone plug will not work - if the mic has an internal
amplifier, it will use pin 5.
Check the diagram for the microphone if you have any doubts.

On 8/30/2010 10:30 AM, Linda and Bob wrote:

> Can you use any 8-pin Kenwood mic with the K3 without any modification (e.g. MC-42S, MC-60A, MC-50 etc.)? I believe the K3 uses the Kenwood protocol for the wiring of their mics. I have a MC-60A desk mic and MC-42S hand mic. I was thinking of selling them for the Heil PSE HC-6 (see below).
>
> I may buy and use a Heil Pro Set Elite with the HC-6 element for hands free operation with VOX. Since I have three ( ICOM 756 PROII, IC-820H and IC-7800) radios at the QTH, I imagine it would be best to order the "iC" version instead of the regular HC-6. In that way I could use the mic with both the ICOM and K3 knowing that I must turn on the bias voltage and also buy a Kenwood 8-pin Heil adapter if I plug it in to the front panel. If I don't use the front panel, I believe that I can plug the PSE HC-6 in to the rear panel of the K3 and then active the bias voltage. If used with the ICOM rigs, I would need to buy the Heil ICOM 8-pin adapter, hence, two adapters will be needed.
>
> I ordered my K3 on Sunday. I am looking forward to its arrival by Wed. or Thurs. in time for the Labor Day holiday. Thanks again for everyone's help on the Reflector.
>
> 73
> Bob Wilderman, K3SRO
> [hidden email]

Re: K3 using Kenwood mics

Eugene Balinski
B & H has the Yamaha CM500 for  $44.95 + shipping

73
Gene K1NR

K2 6K

On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 07:52:38 -0700
 "Jim Brown" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 10:30:38 -0400, Linda and Bob wrote:
>
> >I may buy and use a Heil Pro Set Elite with the HC-6
> element for hands free
> >operation with VOX.
>
> The best sounding and most comfortable headset mic is now
> the Yamaha CM500.
> It plugs straight into the rear panel jacks of the K3.
> And it costs about
> $50. The mic plug on the CM500 is a 1/8-in TRS plug. You
> will need to make a
> simple connector adapter to use it with other rigs. Many
> of us are using this
> headset with the K3 and love it.
>
> 73, Jim K9YC

> Please help support this email list:
> http://www.qsl.net/donate.html

Re: Noise Canceling Headsets

P.B. Christensen
Anyone know of a noise-canceling (NC) boom mic headset (NC in the
headphones, not mic)?  I see plenty of combination headsets where the NC is
in the mic path, but not the headphones.   Bose and Sennheiser have
combination NC headsets designed for the aviation industry -- and the NC
function is in the mic + headphone circuits, but pricing is nearly as high
as the altitude for which they're designed.

Or, perhaps a clamp-on mic boom with electret mic element?  This would allow
for attaching a mic boom on to the NC headphones of one's choice.  The mic
cabling could be run in parallel with, or inserted into, the coiling of
headphone cable.

Paul, W9AC

Re: K3 using Kenwood mics

Joe Subich, W4TV-4

 > Can you use any 8-pin Kenwood mic with the K3 without any
 > modification (e.g. MC-42S, MC-60A, MC-50 etc.)?

For the most part, yes.  However, Elecraft and Kenwood exchange
the function on pins 5/6 (+8V) which is used in certain Kenwood
multi-function and desk mics to power a preamplifier or tone
generator.

The microphones impacted are: MC-44, MC-48, MC-55, MC-60, MC-80,
and MC-85

 > I may buy and use a Heil Pro Set Elite with the HC-6 element for
 > hands free operation with VOX.

As others have suggested, the Yamaha CM-500 is the best buy for
a "hands free" headset.  Performance equal to or better than the
Heil Proset K2 or Proset Elite iC at one third the price.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV

On 8/30/2010 10:30 AM, Linda and Bob wrote:

> Can you use any 8-pin Kenwood mic with the K3 without any
> modification (e.g. MC-42S, MC-60A, MC-50 etc.)? I believe the K3 uses
> the Kenwood protocol for the wiring of their mics. I have a MC-60A
> desk mic and MC-42S hand mic. I was thinking of selling them for the
> Heil PSE HC-6 (see below).
>
> I may buy and use a Heil Pro Set Elite with the HC-6 element for
> hands free operation with VOX. Since I have three ( ICOM 756 PROII,
> IC-820H and IC-7800) radios at the QTH, I imagine it would be best to
> order the "iC" version instead of the regular HC-6. In that way I
> could use the mic with both the ICOM and K3 knowing that I must turn
> on the bias voltage and also buy a Kenwood 8-pin Heil adapter if I
> plug it in to the front panel. If I don't use the front panel, I
> believe that I can plug the PSE HC-6 in to the rear panel of the K3
> and then active the bias voltage. If used with the ICOM rigs, I would
> need to buy the Heil ICOM 8-pin adapter, hence, two adapters will be
> needed.
>
> I ordered my K3 on Sunday. I am looking forward to its arrival by
> Wed. or Thurs. in time for the Labor Day holiday. Thanks again for
> everyone's help on the Reflector.
>
> 73
 > Bob Wilderman, K3SRO
 > [hidden email]

Re: K3 using Kenwood mics

Cookie
I don't know the reason, but the hand mikes for my TS440S and TS850SAT do not
work for my K3 nor does the MH2 for the K3 work with the Kenwoods.  I recently
bought a TS480SAT but I have not hooked it up yet so don't know if it will
interchange.
 Willis 'Cookie' Cooke
K5EWJ

________________________________
I have used an MC60, the hand held Kenwood Mic that came with my TS440S and a
Heil HC4 headset/mic wired for the Kenwood. No modifications necessary. There is
an option in the K3 menus to disable the "UP-DOWN" buttons on the MC-60 that I
use. It is called CONFIG MIC BTN and you set it to OFF. See page 13 and 57 of
the manual (which you may download while you wait for your K3 to arrive). I look
forward to owning the Yamaha CM500 one day as well. Raves reviews from all those
who own it.
Steve WU9B

On Aug 30, 2010, at 7:52 AM, Jim Brown wrote:

> On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 10:30:38 -0400, Linda and Bob wrote:
>
>> I may buy and use a Heil Pro Set Elite with the HC-6 element for hands free
>> operation with VOX.
>
> The best sounding and most comfortable headset mic is now the Yamaha CM500.
> It plugs straight into the rear panel jacks of the K3. And it costs about
> $50. The mic plug on the CM500 is a 1/8-in TRS plug. You will need to make a
> simple connector adapter to use it with other rigs. Many of us are using this
> headset with the K3 and love it.
>
> 73, Jim K9YC

Re: K3 using Kenwood mics

Bob Naumann W5OV
The 480 uses an RJ45 connector for the mic so its' mic is not physically
compatible with the K3.

> I don't know the reason, but the hand mikes for my TS440S and TS850SAT do
> not
> work for my K3 nor does the MH2 for the K3 work with the Kenwoods.  I
> recently
> bought a TS480SAT but I have not hooked it up yet so don't know if it will
> interchange.
>  Willis 'Cookie' Cooke
> K5EWJ
>

> ________________________________

Re: K3 using Kenwood mics

Nr4c
Don't forget to add 'shipping'.  I found Amazon (w/PRime) to be very
competitive, even tho I paid more for the phones, I got the shipping free.

...bc

B & H has the Yamaha CM500 for  $44.95 + shipping

73
Gene K1NR

K2 6K

On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 07:52:38 -0700
 "Jim Brown" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 10:30:38 -0400, Linda and Bob wrote:
>
> >I may buy and use a Heil Pro Set Elite with the HC-6
> element for hands free
> >operation with VOX.
>
> The best sounding and most comfortable headset mic is now
> the Yamaha CM500.
> It plugs straight into the rear panel jacks of the K3.
> And it costs about
> $50. The mic plug on the CM500 is a 1/8-in TRS plug. You
> will need to make a
> simple connector adapter to use it with other rigs. Many
> of us are using this
> headset with the K3 and love it.
>
> 73, Jim K9YC

> Please help support this email list:
> http://www.qsl.net/donate.html

Re: K3 using Kenwood mics

Richard Ferch
FWIW, the hand mic that came with my TS850SAT works on my K3. I don't have
the radio with me, so I can't check the settings I used to get it working
(e.g. FP.H vs. FP.L, mic gain settings, ...).

73,
Rich VE3KI

Willis Cooke wrote:

> I don't know the reason, but the hand mikes for my TS440S and TS850SAT
> do not work for my K3 nor does the MH2 for the K3 work with the Kenwoods.

Re: K3 using Kenwood mics

Nr4c
Can't say about the Kenwood hand mics, but my Heil HM-10 Dual mic that I
bought for my Kenwood TS-570 works fine plugged into the front panel of my
K3.  Is the MH2 an electret mic?  The Heil Proset for the K2/K3 is, as in
ICOM, so that might explain some of the difficulty.

...bc

On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 11:34:17 -0400, Paul Christensen wrote:

>Anyone know of a noise-canceling (NC) boom mic headset (NC in the
>headphones, not mic)?

Not noise cancelling, but the Etymotic Research in-ear earphones have a very
good acoustic seal, especially with custom earmolds made to fit your ears. I
have a pair of the ER4S and the ER4P. The only difference is the impedance,
which provides a bit more level from a voltage-limited output stage.
Depending on your own ears, the stock ear-fittings may work well enough that
you don't need anything custom. That's the way it works for me, although I
suspect that custom molds would give a bit more attenuation. As it is, the
isolation is good enough that I can mix a live jazz band in the same room
with the band. I did that a lot at the Jazz Showcase (the old club on Grand
Av).

>Or, perhaps a clamp-on mic boom with electret mic element?  This would allow
>for attaching a mic boom on to the NC headphones of one's choice.  The mic
>cabling could be run in parallel with, or inserted into, the coiling of
>headphone cable.

There are a lot of headworn mics made primarily for use with wireless mics by
companies like Shure, AKG, and Countryman. They're used in churches, live
theater, and even by aerobics instructors. They will work very well with a
ham rig. You want the pigtail version, which also happens to be the least
expensive. Their response will probably be pretty flat, but the eq in the K3
will handle it just fine. Another option are clamp-on mics that are used by
sportscasters. I don't know brands and models, but vendors that cater to
broadcasters like Broadcast Supply West and Markertek might be a good place
to look.

73, Jim K9YC

Re: K3 using Kenwood mics

Joe Subich, W4TV-4

 > I don't know the reason, but the hand mikes for my TS440S and
 > TS850SAT do not work for my K3

If you enable bias, a dynamic mic will generally not work or its
already low level will be even lower.

 > nor does the MH2 for the K3 work with the Kenwoods.

The MH2 requires bias which is not supplied by the Kenwood rigs.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV