K3 with P4dragon DR-7800

LA7NO
 Hi group,

Anyone using the K3 with this modem?
I would like to get tips for setting up the K3 properly.

73es,

Per-Tore
DL/LA7NO
Remove Ads
73,

Per-Tore / LA7NO

Re: K3 with P4dragon DR-7800

LA7NO
I assume the setup will be about the same as for other Pactor modems,
like the PTC-IIIusb.

My problem is to get out enough power. With MIC gain turned fully up,
I only get out a few watt. Any ideas?

Message delivered to [hidden email]
73,

Per-Tore / LA7NO

Re: K3 with P4dragon DR-7800

LA7NO
I found the problem.
Increased the settings of PSK/FSK Level in RMS Express TNC Setup to 600.
Now I've got full power out from the K3.
Guess I'll have to investigate proper MIC setting in order to avoid flat-topping etc.

P-T

73,

Per-Tore / LA7NO

Re: K3 with P4dragon DR-7800

Don Wilhelm-4
P-T,

If you follow the instructions frequently given on this reflector, you
will have proper power control and no flat-topping.
For soundcard Data modes, monitor the audio input level on the ALC
meter.  You should have 4 bars illuminated with the 5th bar flickering.
The first bars of the ALC meter do not actually indicate ALC - the onset
of ALC is at the 5th bar, so the lower bars are used like a "VU-meter"
to aid in adjusting the audio drive level.\

The closed loop method of power control used by the K3 requires that you
fully drive the audio and use the power knob to set the desired power
output.  Attempting to control the power with the audio drive will
result in "power hunting".

On 7/17/2014 6:09 AM, LA7NO wrote:

> I found the problem.
> Increased the settings of PSK/FSK Level in RMS Express TNC Setup to 600.
> Now I've got full power out from the K3.
> Guess I'll have to investigate proper MIC setting in order to avoid
> flat-topping etc.
>
> P-T

> Message delivered to [hidden email]

Message delivered to [hidden email]

K3 with P4dragon DR-7800

Johnny Siu
Hello Gentleman,

In fact, I was annoyed by SCS modem.  I sent Martin of SCS modem emails and asked him about the connection between their modem and K3 or KX3.  SCS modem's answer was a simply 'no', no information available.  It was a very frustrated experience.  Perhaps, SCS modem is more interested in marine radio sector.

My original ideas was that KX3+ Pactor 3 or 4 modem will be a good combination for many communication purposes.

73

Johnny VR2XMC

________________________________
 寄件人︰ Don Wilhelm <[hidden email]>
收件人︰ LA7NO <[hidden email]>; [hidden email]
傳送日期︰ 2014年07月17日 (週四) 7:20 PM
主題︰ Re: [Elecraft] K3 with P4dragon DR-7800

P-T,

If you follow the instructions frequently given on this reflector, you
will have proper power control and no flat-topping.
For soundcard Data modes, monitor the audio input level on the ALC
meter.  You should have 4 bars illuminated with the 5th bar flickering.
The first bars of the ALC meter do not actually indicate ALC - the onset
of ALC is at the 5th bar, so the lower bars are used like a "VU-meter"
to aid in adjusting the audio drive level.\

The closed loop method of power control used by the K3 requires that you
fully drive the audio and use the power knob to set the desired power
output.  Attempting to control the power with the audio drive will
result in "power hunting".

On 7/17/2014 6:09 AM, LA7NO wrote:
> I found the problem.
> Increased the settings of PSK/FSK Level in RMS Express TNC Setup to 600.
> Now I've got full power out from the K3.
> Guess I'll have to investigate proper MIC setting in order to avoid
> flat-topping etc.
>
> P-T

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: K3 with P4dragon DR-7800

ejkkjh
Not sure this will help but I have used SCS PTC-II with my K3.
The modem has both hardware and software adjustments for the mic gain,
suspect this new modem would too?
Emory WM3M

In fact, I was annoyed by SCS modem.  I sent Martin of SCS modem emails and
asked him about the connection between their modem and K3 or KX3.  SCS
modem's answer was a simply 'no', no information available.  It was a very
frustrated experience.  Perhaps, SCS modem is more interested in marine
radio sector.

My original ideas was that KX3+ Pactor 3 or 4 modem will be a good
combination for many communication purposes.

73

Johnny VR2XMC

________________________________
寄件人︰ Don Wilhelm <[hidden email]>
收件人︰ LA7NO <[hidden email]>; [hidden email]
傳送日期︰ 2014年07月17日 (週四) 7:20 PM
主題︰ Re: [Elecraft] K3 with P4dragon DR-7800

P-T,

If you follow the instructions frequently given on this reflector, you
will have proper power control and no flat-topping.
For soundcard Data modes, monitor the audio input level on the ALC
meter.  You should have 4 bars illuminated with the 5th bar flickering.
The first bars of the ALC meter do not actually indicate ALC - the onset
of ALC is at the 5th bar, so the lower bars are used like a "VU-meter"
to aid in adjusting the audio drive level.\

The closed loop method of power control used by the K3 requires that you
fully drive the audio and use the power knob to set the desired power
output.  Attempting to control the power with the audio drive will
result in "power hunting".

On 7/17/2014 6:09 AM, LA7NO wrote:
> I found the problem.
> Increased the settings of PSK/FSK Level in RMS Express TNC Setup to 600.
> Now I've got full power out from the K3.
> Guess I'll have to investigate proper MIC setting in order to avoid
> flat-topping etc.
>
> P-T

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: K3 with P4dragon DR-7800

LA7NO
Hi Don,

Thanks for your helpful comments.

I've tried to do this adjustment while attempting to initialize a WL2K connection via RMS Express. However, I find it difficult to adjust the ALC, since the meter flickers way too fast.

P-T

73,

Per-Tore / LA7NO

Re: K3 with P4dragon DR-7800

LA7NO
Hi Johnny,

Martin of SCS has been quite friendly towards me. He tried to help me even if he was on vacation. What more can one ask?

However, I'm a bit disappointed over the documentation for the P4. So far there is only an installation manual. The full manual with command description etc. is missing. I had to download the manual for another modem in order to get info on the command set. And I've not so far found any information of the misc info that can be displayed on the P4 screen.

But I have a lot of patience, and will wait and see. ;-)

P-T

73,

Per-Tore / LA7NO

Re: K3 with P4dragon DR-7800

Joe Subich, W4TV-4

 > Perhaps, SCS modem is more interested in marine radio sector.

Of curse they are - they're in bed with certain ARRL board members to
take over the CW/RTTY bands for that commercial use (RM-11708).

 > My original ideas was that KX3+ Pactor 3 or 4 modem will be a good
 > combination for many communication purposes.

It may be - but get the KX3 type accepted for maritime service and
use it outside the amateur radio spectrum if you are going to use it
for non-amateur purposes (including maritime e-mail).

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV