K3S Set-up for WSJT-X

stengrevics
Two very basic questions as I am just getting started:

1.  How do I determine the COM number or Serial Port Number to enter in the Radio Tab? (I am using a Mac)

2.  I only want to use the computer to operate WSJT-X, no need to control anything else.  Do I need to download a driver of some kind?

Thanks,

John
WA1EAZ

Re: K3S Set-up for WSJT-X

Don Wilhelm
John,

I don't know the Mac, but it should be similar to Windows.
Go to the Mac equivalent of Device Manager, and unplug the USB cable -
see which "COM Port" goes away.
Then plug the USB cable back in and observe which COM port is added.
Tell WSJT-X which COM port it should use.

No additional driver should be required unless the COM port shows an error.

On 1/5/2017 7:48 PM, stengrevics wrote:

> Two very basic questions as I am just getting started:
>
> 1.  How do I determine the COM number or Serial Port Number to enter in the
> Radio Tab? (I am using a Mac)
>
> 2.  I only want to use the computer to operate WSJT-X, no need to control
> anything else.  Do I need to download a driver of some kind?
>
> Thanks,
>
> John
> WA1EAZ

> Message delivered to [hidden email]

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: K3S Set-up for WSJT-X

stengrevics
Hi Don,

The equivalent - System Information - doesn’t give the Com Number.  In fact, Apple tech support said I need to get it from Elecraft.

If there is anyone who has set their Mac up to work with the K3S, I would appreciate your input.

Thanks,

John
WA1EAZ

> On Jan 5, 2017, at 8:12 PM, Don Wilhelm <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> John,
>
> I don't know the Mac, but it should be similar to Windows.
> Go to the Mac equivalent of Device Manager, and unplug the USB cable - see which "COM Port" goes away.
> Then plug the USB cable back in and observe which COM port is added.
> Tell WSJT-X which COM port it should use.
>
> No additional driver should be required unless the COM port shows an error.
>
> 73,
> Don W3FPR
>
> On 1/5/2017 7:48 PM, stengrevics wrote:
>> Two very basic questions as I am just getting started:
>>
>> 1.  How do I determine the COM number or Serial Port Number to enter in the
>> Radio Tab? (I am using a Mac)
>>
>> 2.  I only want to use the computer to operate WSJT-X, no need to control
>> anything else.  Do I need to download a driver of some kind?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> John
>> WA1EAZ
>>

>> --
>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]

>> Message delivered to [hidden email]

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: K3S Set-up for WSJT-X

kevino z
On a Mac, the serial ports are listed under /dev (devices).

I assume you downloaded and installed the drivers for your KUSB from here http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm
And then connected up the cable.

Do you know how to open a terminal on OS X ?  If so, when the KUSB cable is connected, you can check with a command that lists the devices in /dev

See this page for a general understanding and example https://software.intel.com/en-us/setting-up-serial-terminal-on-system-with-mac-os-x

-Kevin (KK4YEL)

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced !

On Jan 5, 2017, at 8:12 PM, Don Wilhelm <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:

John,

I don't know the Mac, but it should be similar to Windows.
Go to the Mac equivalent of Device Manager, and unplug the USB cable - see which "COM Port" goes away.
Then plug the USB cable back in and observe which COM port is added.
Tell WSJT-X which COM port it should use.

No additional driver should be required unless the COM port shows an error.

On 1/5/2017 7:48 PM, stengrevics wrote:
Two very basic questions as I am just getting started:

1.  How do I determine the COM number or Serial Port Number to enter in the
Radio Tab? (I am using a Mac)

2.  I only want to use the computer to operate WSJT-X, no need to control
anything else.  Do I need to download a driver of some kind?

Thanks,

John
WA1EAZ

Message delivered to [hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>

Message delivered to [hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: K3S Set-up for WSJT-X

stengrevics
Hi Kevin,

I was told I wouldn’t need to download any drivers.

When I type the command into Terminal, all I get is “permission denied.”

John
WA1EAZ

> On Jan 5, 2017, at 10:04 PM, kevino z <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On a Mac, the serial ports are listed under /dev (devices).
>
> I assume you downloaded and installed the drivers for your KUSB from here http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm <http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm>
> And then connected up the cable.
>
> Do you know how to open a terminal on OS X ?  If so, when the KUSB cable is connected, you can check with a command that lists the devices in /dev
>
> See this page for a general understanding and example https://software.intel.com/en-us/setting-up-serial-terminal-on-system-with-mac-os-x <https://software.intel.com/en-us/setting-up-serial-terminal-on-system-with-mac-os-x>
>

> -Kevin (KK4YEL)
>

> No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced !
>
> On Jan 5, 2017, at 21:33, John Stengrevics <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>> Hi Don,
>>
>> The equivalent - System Information - doesn’t give the Com Number.  In fact, Apple tech support said I need to get it from Elecraft.
>>
>> If there is anyone who has set their Mac up to work with the K3S, I would appreciate your input.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> John
>> WA1EAZ
>>
>>> On Jan 5, 2017, at 8:12 PM, Don Wilhelm <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>>
>>> John,
>>>
>>> I don't know the Mac, but it should be similar to Windows.
>>> Go to the Mac equivalent of Device Manager, and unplug the USB cable - see which "COM Port" goes away.
>>> Then plug the USB cable back in and observe which COM port is added.
>>> Tell WSJT-X which COM port it should use.
>>>
>>> No additional driver should be required unless the COM port shows an error.
>>>
>>> 73,
>>> Don W3FPR

>> Post: mailto:[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>>
>> This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net <http://www.qsl.net/>
>> Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html <http://www.qsl.net/donate.html>
>> Message delivered to [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: K3S Set-up for WSJT-X

kevino z
I can't remember if I downloaded the drivers or not. Perhaps your user is not elevated / privileged ? When you go to the System Preferences, click Users & Groups, and see what the current user is, does it show Admin or Standard?
If standard, you may need to put
 sudo
In front  of the command, for example
   sudo ls /dev/cu.*

And then you will be promoted for the Admin password.
Maybe half of your problem is your user is not privileged and can't install the comm port?

Just some ideas...

On Jan 5, 2017, at 10:04 PM, kevino z <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:

[...]

I meant prompted for the password, not promoted...
good luck and good night.
[...]

Bob Nielsen-4
Macs do not use COM numbers.  Go to About this Mac/System Report/USB.
I don't have a K3S (unfortunately), but with my IC-7100 under one of the
Hub entries it shows CP2102 USB to UART Bridge Controller.   If the K3S
uses a different chip, the wording will be different.  If you disconnect
the USB line from the radio to the Mac, this entry will go away, as Don
said.

Bob, N7XY

On 1/5/17 6:30 PM, John Stengrevics wrote:

> Hi Don,
>
> The equivalent - System Information - doesn’t give the Com Number.  In fact, Apple tech support said I need to get it from Elecraft.
>
> If there is anyone who has set their Mac up to work with the K3S, I would appreciate your input.
>
> Thanks,
>
> John
> WA1EAZ
>
>> On Jan 5, 2017, at 8:12 PM, Don Wilhelm <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> John,
>>
>> I don't know the Mac, but it should be similar to Windows.
>> Go to the Mac equivalent of Device Manager, and unplug the USB cable - see which "COM Port" goes away.
>> Then plug the USB cable back in and observe which COM port is added.
>> Tell WSJT-X which COM port it should use.
>>
>> No additional driver should be required unless the COM port shows an error.
>>
>> 73,
>> Don W3FPR
>>
>> On 1/5/2017 7:48 PM, stengrevics wrote:
>>> Two very basic questions as I am just getting started:
>>>
>>> 1.  How do I determine the COM number or Serial Port Number to enter in the
>>> Radio Tab? (I am using a Mac)
>>>
>>> 2.  I only want to use the computer to operate WSJT-X, no need to control
>>> anything else.  Do I need to download a driver of some kind?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> John
>>> WA1EAZ
>>>

>>> --
>>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]

>>> Message delivered to [hidden email]

> Message delivered to [hidden email]

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: K3S Set-up for WSJT-X

Bill Frantz
I have not tried WSJT-X, but when I use RUMlogNG, to connect to
the K3 (with the upgrade to the internal K3S internal USB), I
get a choice of:

   Not Used
   Bluetooth-Incoming-Port
   usbserial-A503XYB1

The usbserial-A503XYB1 is the correct choice.

I can also ls /dev in Terminal, so I don't know what is
happening with John's system. I see a device:
'cu.usbserial-A503XYB1' which is probably my K3.

73 Bill AE6JV

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: K3S Set-up for WSJT-X

Edward R Cole
Just a thought but if WSJT is asking for com port entries maybe you
downloaded the windows software for WSJT-X.

There are three versions of WSJT-X:
Windows
Linux
Macintosh OS-X

Also use the on-line WSJT-X Users Guide:
http://www.physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/K1JT/wsjtx-doc/wsjtx-main-1.7.0.html

look at Section 3. Installation

73, Ed - KL7UW
   http://www.kl7uw.com
Dubus-NA Business mail:
   [hidden email]

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: K3S Set-up for WSJT-X

As Mac OS is UNIX like...   (Nothing like Windows, more like BSD!)

You may need to add your regular login username, to a group for easy
access to the serial ports.

Under many Linux(s)

sudo adduser #### dialout       (Substitute your regular login user name
for the ####)

Will do the job.   What the equivalent command would be on a MAC I don't
know in detail.   You may even first need to make yourself root to use
that, as you need to on FreeBSD, that the MAC OS is more like than Linux.

You should also be able to find out what any USB<>Serial adapter is
known as, by using a command line tool such as dmesg, and examining the
last few lines of that, just after connecting the device to the computer.

In fact, run dmesg before, and after inserting the adapter, you'll then
see the difference...

( dmesg | tail   Should only show you the last 10 lines, not the entire
stored archive!)

Note too, that WSJT etc, uses Hamlib for radio control, that in turn
uses whatever that needs to reach the radio(s.)  So, if not already done
as part of the WSJT install, you may also need to install that separately.

73.

Dave G0WBX.

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: K3S Set-up for WSJT-X

Don Wilhelm
I find it alarming that Apple support told you that you would have to
get the COM port number from Elecraft.
The FTDI adapter in the K3S is just like any other FTDI adapter. The
adapter does not assign the port number, that is done by the computer.
I would suggest contacting Apple support again and hopefully you will
communicate with a more knowledgeable support person.

On 1/5/2017 9:30 PM, John Stengrevics wrote:
> Hi Don,
>
> The equivalent - System Information - doesn’t give the Com Number.  In fact, Apple tech support said I need to get it from Elecraft.
>
> If there is anyone who has set their Mac up to work with the K3S, I would appreciate your input.

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: K3S Set-up for WSJT-X

stengrevics
Hi Don,

This AM I was able to see the port on the WSJT-X window.  Don’t know what happened.  Just appeared.

Making progress.

John
WA1EAZ

> On Jan 6, 2017, at 9:23 AM, Don Wilhelm <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I find it alarming that Apple support told you that you would have to get the COM port number from Elecraft.
> The FTDI adapter in the K3S is just like any other FTDI adapter. The adapter does not assign the port number, that is done by the computer.
> I would suggest contacting Apple support again and hopefully you will communicate with a more knowledgeable support person.
>
> 73,
> Don W3FPR
>
> On 1/5/2017 9:30 PM, John Stengrevics wrote:
>> Hi Don,
>>
>> The equivalent - System Information - doesn’t give the Com Number.  In fact, Apple tech support said I need to get it from Elecraft.
>>
>> If there is anyone who has set their Mac up to work with the K3S, I would appreciate your input.

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: K3S Set-up for WSJT-X

Don, on a Mac, the port indicator is provided by the FTDI adapter.  It's not a simple 1,2, or 3.  It's a complex set of characters sent by the adapter.

This is not a Microsoft system, it's a Unix derivative which gives the user a more direct view of what's happening.

Apple's support response was correct.  But the Elecraft Utility already shows the FTDI response in a dropdown box, so there's no need to call Elecraft.
--
Marc W8SDG

> On Jan 6, 2017, at 9:23 AM, Don Wilhelm <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I find it alarming that Apple support told you that you would have to get the COM port number from Elecraft.
> The FTDI adapter in the K3S is just like any other FTDI adapter. The adapter does not assign the port number, that is done by the computer.
> I would suggest contacting Apple support again and hopefully you will communicate with a more knowledgeable support person.
>
> 73,
> Don W3FPR

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: K3S Set-up for WSJT-X

stengrevics
This AM, I was able to type "|s /dev “ in the Terminal window and I got a list containing the port ID.  That same ID was visible on the WSJT-X window, so I could select it and proceed.

John
WA1EAZ

> On Jan 6, 2017, at 9:36 AM, Marc Veeneman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Don, on a Mac, the port indicator is provided by the FTDI adapter.  It's not a simple 1,2, or 3.  It's a complex set of characters sent by the adapter.
>
> This is not a Microsoft system, it's a Unix derivative which gives the user a more direct view of what's happening.
>
> Apple's support response was correct.  But the Elecraft Utility already shows the FTDI response in a dropdown box, so there's no need to call Elecraft.
> --
> Marc W8SDG
>
>> On Jan 6, 2017, at 9:23 AM, Don Wilhelm <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I find it alarming that Apple support told you that you would have to get the COM port number from Elecraft.
>> The FTDI adapter in the K3S is just like any other FTDI adapter. The adapter does not assign the port number, that is done by the computer.
>> I would suggest contacting Apple support again and hopefully you will communicate with a more knowledgeable support person.
>>
>> 73,
>> Don W3FPR

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: K3S Set-up for WSJT-X

alorona
Wow, things have changed. In the early years of the Macintosh its claim to fame was true plug-and-play, where the user never had to go into the operating system to execute commands, never had to see a "DOS prompt". Since following this thread I see that that is no longer the case. That's too bad.

Al W6LX

>You may need to add your regular login username, to a group
>sudo adduser #### dialout
>Make yourself root to use that, as you need to on FreeBSD
>In fact, run dmesg before, and after inserting the adapter,
>dmesg | tail

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: K3S Set-up for WSJT-X

Grant Youngman-2
As a very long time Mac user, I have NEVER had to do any such thing for a Prolific or FTDI port for many different applications.

First time for everything, I suppose, but unlikely.

Grant NQ5T
K3 #2091, KX3 #8342

> On Jan 6, 2017, at 1:40 PM, Al Lorona <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Wow, things have changed. In the early years of the Macintosh its claim to fame was true plug-and-play, where the user never had to go into the operating system to execute commands, never had to see a "DOS prompt". Since following this thread I see that that is no longer the case. That's too bad.
>
> Al W6LX
>

>> You may need to add your regular login username, to a group
>> sudo adduser #### dialout
>> Make yourself root to use that, as you need to on FreeBSD
>> In fact, run dmesg before, and after inserting the adapter,
>> dmesg | tail

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: K3S Set-up for WSJT-X

Charles Johnson-2
Grant is entirely correct - there is no need to delve into the inner workings of the Mac to get a USB/serial port to work. Plug in the USB connector and the port will show as a connected device - by NAME - no COM port number.

Charles, K4ZRJ, Registered Apple Developer

> On Jan 6, 2017, at 1:56 PM, GRANT YOUNGMAN <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> As a very long time Mac user, I have NEVER had to do any such thing for a Prolific or FTDI port for many different applications.
>
> First time for everything, I suppose, but unlikely.
>
> Grant NQ5T
> K3 #2091, KX3 #8342
>
>> On Jan 6, 2017, at 1:40 PM, Al Lorona <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Wow, things have changed. In the early years of the Macintosh its claim to fame was true plug-and-play, where the user never had to go into the operating system to execute commands, never had to see a "DOS prompt". Since following this thread I see that that is no longer the case. That's too bad.
>>
>> Al W6LX
>>

>>> You may need to add your regular login username, to a group
>>> sudo adduser #### dialout
>>> Make yourself root to use that, as you need to on FreeBSD
>>> In fact, run dmesg before, and after inserting the adapter,
>>> dmesg | tail

> Message delivered to [hidden email]

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: K3S Set-up for WSJT-X