K4 observation

Elecraft mailing list
For years I used a Radiosport headset with my K3. Worked like a champ. Since I received my K4 I noticed annoying RFI-induced feedback on the Radiosport when operating SSB on the K4. Monitor is set to 0. No trouble on the internal speaker.

I’m gonna try ferrites next.

Surprised to see this on the K4 and not on the K3!

Tom W4KX

Sent from my iPad

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: K4 observation

wayne burdick
Administrator
Tom,

We'll try to duplicate and correct this. I'll get back to you.

73,
Wayne
N6KR

> On Jun 18, 2021, at 3:58 AM, Tom Doligalski via Elecraft <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> For years I used a Radiosport headset with my K3. Worked like a champ. Since I received my K4 I noticed annoying RFI-induced feedback on the Radiosport when operating SSB on the K4. Monitor is set to 0. No trouble on the internal speaker.
>
> I’m gonna try ferrites next.
>
> Surprised to see this on the K4 and not on the K3!
>
> Tom W4KX

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: K4 observation

Jim Brown-10
On 6/18/2021 3:58 AM, Tom Doligalski via Elecraft wrote:
> For years I used a Radiosport headset with my K3. Worked like a champ. Since I received my K4 I noticed annoying RFI-induced feedback on the Radiosport when operating SSB on the K4. Monitor is set to 0.

I would blame that on the radio. Elecraft has a long history of Pin One
Problems, which are a well known cause of RFI. I first alerted Wayne to
this at least 15 years ago. Elecraft is not unique in the regard -- the
last time I was at Dayton, several years ago, EVERY radio on display in
booths that I was able to look at had obvious Pin One Problems. The
following links were written nearly 20 years ago. Pro audio has mostly
cleaned up its act. Ham radio is still in the dark ages.

http://k9yc.com/Pin_1_Revisited.pdf
http://k9yc.com/Pin_1_Revisited_Part_2.pdf

73, Jim K9YC

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: K4 observation

Elecraft mailing list
Interesting, and possibly related (and I kind of forgot till I read Jim’s email).

Noticed that when the antenna are disconnected, and the K4 turned off, I hear a local TV station in the headphones… Never happened on the K3.

Headphones connected to the rear panel jack.

Gonna get out the ferrites…

Tom W4KX

Sent from my iPad

> On Jun 18, 2021, at 2:07 PM, Jim Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 6/18/2021 3:58 AM, Tom Doligalski via Elecraft wrote:
>> For years I used a Radiosport headset with my K3. Worked like a champ. Since I received my K4 I noticed annoying RFI-induced feedback on the Radiosport when operating SSB on the K4. Monitor is set to 0.
>
> I would blame that on the radio. Elecraft has a long history of Pin One Problems, which are a well known cause of RFI. I first alerted Wayne to this at least 15 years ago. Elecraft is not unique in the regard -- the last time I was at Dayton, several years ago, EVERY radio on display in booths that I was able to look at had obvious Pin One Problems. The following links were written nearly 20 years ago. Pro audio has mostly cleaned up its act. Ham radio is still in the dark ages.
>
> http://k9yc.com/Pin_1_Revisited.pdf
> http://k9yc.com/Pin_1_Revisited_Part_2.pdf
>
> 73, Jim K9YC

> Message delivered to [hidden email]

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: K4 observation

wayne burdick
Administrator
We’re testing a fix.

----
elecraft.com

> On Jun 18, 2021, at 2:21 PM, Tom Doligalski via Elecraft <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Interesting, and possibly related (and I kind of forgot till I read Jim’s email).
>
> Noticed that when the antenna are disconnected, and the K4 turned off, I hear a local TV station in the headphones… Never happened on the K3.
>
> Headphones connected to the rear panel jack.
>
> Gonna get out the ferrites…
>
> Tom W4KX
>
> Sent from my iPad
>
>>> On Jun 18, 2021, at 2:07 PM, Jim Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> On 6/18/2021 3:58 AM, Tom Doligalski via Elecraft wrote:
>>> For years I used a Radiosport headset with my K3. Worked like a champ. Since I received my K4 I noticed annoying RFI-induced feedback on the Radiosport when operating SSB on the K4. Monitor is set to 0.
>>
>> I would blame that on the radio. Elecraft has a long history of Pin One Problems, which are a well known cause of RFI. I first alerted Wayne to this at least 15 years ago. Elecraft is not unique in the regard -- the last time I was at Dayton, several years ago, EVERY radio on display in booths that I was able to look at had obvious Pin One Problems. The following links were written nearly 20 years ago. Pro audio has mostly cleaned up its act. Ham radio is still in the dark ages.
>>
>> http://k9yc.com/Pin_1_Revisited.pdf
>> http://k9yc.com/Pin_1_Revisited_Part_2.pdf
>>
>> 73, Jim K9YC
>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]

>> Message delivered to [hidden email]

> Message delivered to [hidden email]

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: K4 observation

Elecraft mailing list
Greaat!

This is NOT a big deal to me… let me know if I can help…

Tom W4KX