KAT 500

greenacres113-2

I placed my order. I hope to be in the 1st run. I have a question or two
for the guys who saw it at Dayton.
How is it cabled. Not the antenna connections.  K3 to it or thru the
KPA500?  Will there be a special cable like the one  for the K3 to
KPA500? Is elecraft offering a wart xfmr for the KAT500? Any minor
details yet to be spoken about?

K9IL

K3, KPA500 & in Aug KAT500 !!!!

Re: KAT 500

Iain MacDonnell - N6ML-2
On Sun, May 20, 2012 at 9:58 AM, r miles <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I placed my order. I hope to be in the 1st run. I have a question or two
> for the guys who saw it at Dayton.
> How is it cabled. Not the antenna connections.  K3 to it or thru the
> KPA500?  Will there be a special cable like the one  for the K3 to
> KPA500?

I wasn't at Dayton, but you can see the connectors here:

http://www.elecraft.com/KAT500/kat500rear_visalia.jpg

Clearly the "ACC" connection "loops through" the KAT500 to get the
KPA500. This makes sense, as it would allow the tuner to interrupt the
keying line to the amp during tuning, etc.

This part is *speculation* on my part; I imagine that the typical
configuration will be a straight-through DE-15 (as supplied in the
KPAK3AUX kit) between the K3 and KAT500, and another (identical cable)
between the KAT500 and KPA500

73,

    ~iain / N6ML

Re: KAT 500

Oliver Dröse
Probably K3 -> KAT500 -> KPA500 with 15 pin HD cables (as between K3 and
KPA500) judging from the pictures on the Elecraft news page. It is needed to
interrupt PA PTT during tune up.

73, Olli - DH8BQA

> I placed my order. I hope to be in the 1st run. I have a question or two
> for the guys who saw it at Dayton.
> How is it cabled. Not the antenna connections.  K3 to it or thru the
> KPA500?  Will there be a special cable like the one  for the K3 to
> KPA500? Is elecraft offering a wart xfmr for the KAT500? Any minor
> details yet to be spoken about?
>
> K9IL
>
> K3, KPA500 & in Aug KAT500 !!!!

> -----
> eMail ist virenfrei.
> Von AVG uberpruft - www.avg.de
> Version: 2012.0.1913 / Virendatenbank: 2425/5011 - Ausgabedatum:
> 20.05.2012

Re: KAT 500

Dick Dievendorff
This is correct.

However the KAT500 will also work with other radios and amps, so we provide a couple of ways for amp interrupt. With K3 band lines we can bandswitch on receive, otherwise we have to detect band change on Tx, similar to the technique used by the KPA500.

Dick

On May 20, 2012, at 14:14, iain macdonnell - N6ML <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sun, May 20, 2012 at 9:58 AM, r miles <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I placed my order. I hope to be in the 1st run. I have a question or two
>> for the guys who saw it at Dayton.
>> How is it cabled. Not the antenna connections.  K3 to it or thru the
>> KPA500?  Will there be a special cable like the one  for the K3 to
>> KPA500?
>
> I wasn't at Dayton, but you can see the connectors here:
>
> http://www.elecraft.com/KAT500/kat500rear_visalia.jpg
>
> Clearly the "ACC" connection "loops through" the KAT500 to get the
> KPA500. This makes sense, as it would allow the tuner to interrupt the
> keying line to the amp during tuning, etc.
>
> This part is *speculation* on my part; I imagine that the typical
> configuration will be a straight-through DE-15 (as supplied in the
> KPAK3AUX kit) between the K3 and KAT500, and another (identical cable)
> between the KAT500 and KPA500
>
> 73,
>
>    ~iain / N6ML

Re: KAT 500

Iain MacDonnell - N6ML-2
Hi Dick/anyone,

Does that mean that the KAT500 can automatically retune (based on
memory) immediately on band-change, without any RF being transmitted?
That'd be rather cool. If yes, can it also be told that some bands
don't need matching, and so automatically go into bypass for those
bands?

73,

    ~iain

On Sun, May 20, 2012 at 11:26 AM, Dick Dievendorff <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This is correct.
>
> However the KAT500 will also work with other radios and amps, so we provide a couple of ways for amp interrupt. With K3 band lines we can bandswitch on receive, otherwise we have to detect band change on Tx, similar to the technique used by the KPA500.
>
> Dick
>
> On May 20, 2012, at 14:14, iain macdonnell - N6ML <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, May 20, 2012 at 9:58 AM, r miles <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> I placed my order. I hope to be in the 1st run. I have a question or two
>>> for the guys who saw it at Dayton.
>>> How is it cabled. Not the antenna connections.  K3 to it or thru the
>>> KPA500?  Will there be a special cable like the one  for the K3 to
>>> KPA500?
>>
>> I wasn't at Dayton, but you can see the connectors here:
>>
>> http://www.elecraft.com/KAT500/kat500rear_visalia.jpg
>>
>> Clearly the "ACC" connection "loops through" the KAT500 to get the
>> KPA500. This makes sense, as it would allow the tuner to interrupt the
>> keying line to the amp during tuning, etc.
>>
>> This part is *speculation* on my part; I imagine that the typical
>> configuration will be a straight-through DE-15 (as supplied in the
>> KPAK3AUX kit) between the K3 and KAT500, and another (identical cable)
>> between the KAT500 and KPA500
>>
>> 73,
>>
>>    ~iain / N6ML
>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]

Re: KAT 500

Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ
Administrator
yes

Eric

www.elecraft.com
_..._

On May 20, 2012, at 5:00 PM, iain macdonnell - N6ML <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Dick/anyone,
>
> Does that mean that the KAT500 can automatically retune (based on
> memory) immediately on band-change, without any RF being transmitted?
> That'd be rather cool. If yes, can it also be told that some bands
> don't need matching, and so automatically go into bypass for those
> bands?
>
> 73,
>
>    ~iain
>

> On Sun, May 20, 2012 at 11:26 AM, Dick Dievendorff <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> This is correct.
>>
>> However the KAT500 will also work with other radios and amps, so we provide a couple of ways for amp interrupt. With K3 band lines we can bandswitch on receive, otherwise we have to detect band change on Tx, similar to the technique used by the KPA500.
>>
>> Dick

>>> I wasn't at Dayton, but you can see the connectors here:
>>>
>>> http://www.elecraft.com/KAT500/kat500rear_visalia.jpg
>>>
>>> Clearly the "ACC" connection "loops through" the KAT500 to get the
>>> KPA500. This makes sense, as it would allow the tuner to interrupt the
>>> keying line to the amp during tuning, etc.
>>>
>>> This part is *speculation* on my part; I imagine that the typical
>>> configuration will be a straight-through DE-15 (as supplied in the
>>> KPAK3AUX kit) between the K3 and KAT500, and another (identical cable)
>>> between the KAT500 and KPA500
>>>
>>> 73,
>>>
>>>    ~iain / N6ML
>>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]

Re: KAT 500

Iain and all,

I actually think there is little difference between "tuning" into an
already resonant load and putting the tuner in bypass.  I do not have
the KAT500 to do any testing of that statement, but it is true for all
the other Elecraft tuners I have worked with.  To me, leaving the tuner
in all the time just makes sense - just do a TUNE if there is any
question.  No need to bypass it except for testing purposes.

In fact, doing a TUNE into that 50 ohm load may be better than bypassing
since any residual reactance will be compensated for.

I do hope Wayne. Eric and Lisa get some sleep on the plane - traveling
East to West makes for a very long day and upset sleep patterns on the
westerly end.

On 5/20/2012 5:00 PM, iain macdonnell - N6ML wrote:

> Hi Dick/anyone,
>
> Does that mean that the KAT500 can automatically retune (based on
> memory) immediately on band-change, without any RF being transmitted?
> That'd be rather cool. If yes, can it also be told that some bands
> don't need matching, and so automatically go into bypass for those
> bands?
>
> 73,
>
>      ~iain
>

> On Sun, May 20, 2012 at 11:26 AM, Dick Dievendorff<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> This is correct.
>>
>> However the KAT500 will also work with other radios and amps, so we provide a couple of ways for amp interrupt. With K3 band lines we can bandswitch on receive, otherwise we have to detect band change on Tx, similar to the technique used by the KPA500.
>>
>> Dick

>>> I wasn't at Dayton, but you can see the connectors here:
>>>
>>> http://www.elecraft.com/KAT500/kat500rear_visalia.jpg
>>>
>>> Clearly the "ACC" connection "loops through" the KAT500 to get the
>>> KPA500. This makes sense, as it would allow the tuner to interrupt the
>>> keying line to the amp during tuning, etc.
>>>
>>> This part is *speculation* on my part; I imagine that the typical
>>> configuration will be a straight-through DE-15 (as supplied in the
>>> KPAK3AUX kit) between the K3 and KAT500, and another (identical cable)
>>> between the KAT500 and KPA500
>>>
>>> 73,
>>>
>>>     ~iain / N6ML
>>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]

Re: KAT 500

wayne burdick
Yes and yes.

Wayne
N6KR

----
http://www.elecraft.com

On May 20, 2012, at 5:00 PM, iain macdonnell - N6ML <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Dick/anyone,
>
> Does that mean that the KAT500 can automatically retune (based on
> memory) immediately on band-change, without any RF being transmitted?
> That'd be rather cool. If yes, can it also be told that some bands
> don't need matching, and so automatically go into bypass for those
> bands?
>
> 73,
>
>    ~iain
>

> On Sun, May 20, 2012 at 11:26 AM, Dick Dievendorff <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> This is correct.
>>
>> However the KAT500 will also work with other radios and amps, so we provide a couple of ways for amp interrupt. With K3 band lines we can bandswitch on receive, otherwise we have to detect band change on Tx, similar to the technique used by the KPA500.
>>
>> Dick

>>> I wasn't at Dayton, but you can see the connectors here:
>>>
>>> http://www.elecraft.com/KAT500/kat500rear_visalia.jpg
>>>
>>> Clearly the "ACC" connection "loops through" the KAT500 to get the
>>> KPA500. This makes sense, as it would allow the tuner to interrupt the
>>> keying line to the amp during tuning, etc.
>>>
>>> This part is *speculation* on my part; I imagine that the typical
>>> configuration will be a straight-through DE-15 (as supplied in the
>>> KPAK3AUX kit) between the K3 and KAT500, and another (identical cable)
>>> between the KAT500 and KPA500
>>>
>>> 73,
>>>
>>>    ~iain / N6ML
>>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]

Re: KAT 500

Bill K9YEQ
Rest is a huge problem, not to mention on the feet when you are not used to
it.  The physical fatigue takes its toll.  As a 66 year old runner,  I
cannot imagine what just standing in place for a couple of days takes.  I
want to get in my 18th marathon next fall and I don't know if I can do it.
The 1/2 marathon was tough enough this year.  I used to run them without
thinking.  Aging is always a wonderful challenge.  As long as the mind
doesn't go first?  :-)  Then I look at some of my messages and wonder if
mine hasn't already gone.  ;-#

73,
Bill
K9YEQ

In fact, doing a TUNE into that 50 ohm load may be better than bypassing
since any residual reactance will be compensated for.

I do hope Wayne. Eric and Lisa get some sleep on the plane - traveling East
to West makes for a very long day and upset sleep patterns on the westerly
end.

Re: KAT 500

Don Wilhelm-4
Bill,

i cencur with you opinion,
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

On 5/20/2012 6:57 PM, Bill K9YEQ wrote:

> Rest is a huge problem, not to mention on the feet when you are not used to
> it.  The physical fatigue takes its toll.  As a 66 year old runner,  I
> cannot imagine what just standing in place for a couple of days takes.  I
> want to get in my 18th marathon next fall and I don't know if I can do it.
> The 1/2 marathon was tough enough this year.  I used to run them without
> thinking.  Aging is always a wonderful challenge.  As long as the mind
> doesn't go first?  :-)  Then I look at some of my messages and wonder if
> mine hasn't already gone.  ;-#
>
> 73,
> Bill
> K9YEQ

Re: KAT 500

dj7mgq
Also will the tuner remember tuning values for various band segments?
The 160m and 80m bands are, for example, rather wide, relatively speaking.

vy 73 de toby

On 21.05.2012 00:43, Wayne Burdick wrote:

> Yes and yes.
>
> Wayne
> N6KR
>
> ----
> http://www.elecraft.com
>
> On May 20, 2012, at 5:00 PM, iain macdonnell - N6ML<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>
>> Hi Dick/anyone,
>>
>> Does that mean that the KAT500 can automatically retune (based on
>> memory) immediately on band-change, without any RF being transmitted?
>> That'd be rather cool. If yes, can it also be told that some bands
>> don't need matching, and so automatically go into bypass for those
>> bands?
>>
>> 73,
>>
>>     ~iain

Re: KAT 500

Dick Dievendorff
Yes.

Dick, K6KR

On May 22, 2012, at 12:22, Toby Deinhardt <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Also will the tuner remember tuning values for various band segments?
> The 160m and 80m bands are, for example, rather wide, relatively speaking.
>
> vy 73 de toby
>
> On 21.05.2012 00:43, Wayne Burdick wrote:
>> Yes and yes.
>>
>> Wayne
>> N6KR
>>
>> ----
>> http://www.elecraft.com
>>
>> On May 20, 2012, at 5:00 PM, iain macdonnell - N6ML<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Dick/anyone,
>>>
>>> Does that mean that the KAT500 can automatically retune (based on
>>> memory) immediately on band-change, without any RF being transmitted?
>>> That'd be rather cool. If yes, can it also be told that some bands
>>> don't need matching, and so automatically go into bypass for those
>>> bands?
>>>
>>> 73,
>>>
>>>    ~iain

Re: KAT 500

Iain MacDonnell - N6ML-2
But presumably you'd have to transmit some RF for the KAT500 to know
whereabouts in the band you are.... assuming it's using the band-data
from the ACC port... or is there an AUXBUS way for it to get
more-granular QRG data?

    ~iain / N6ML

On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 1:42 PM, Dick Dievendorff <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yes.
>
> Dick, K6KR
>
> On May 22, 2012, at 12:22, Toby Deinhardt <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Also will the tuner remember tuning values for various band segments?
>> The 160m and 80m bands are, for example, rather wide, relatively speaking.
>>
>> vy 73 de toby
>>
>> On 21.05.2012 00:43, Wayne Burdick wrote:
>>> Yes and yes.
>>>
>>> Wayne
>>> N6KR
>>>
>>> ----
>>> http://www.elecraft.com

>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]

Re: KAT 500

Rick WA6NHC
It will be on the same 'bus' as the K3/KPA500, so it'll get the info that
way and adapt.  For a NON-Elecraft product, YMMV.

Trust them, how many mistakes have they made so far?  (Heck they make it
firefighter proof, which is magnitudes harder than idiot proof.)

Now shh, after their Dayton recovery nap, let's let them work so we can play
with the tuner sooner.  ;o)

Rick wa6nhc