KAT500 Remote Version

Bruce Hammond
I see the KAT500 (indoor) version is set to ship Oct 1-15 timeframe. Tech info and shipping target date for remote version of KAT500 would be appreciated.
73 de KK7EL Bruce

Re: KAT500 Remote Version

Guy, K2AV
Did they actually say they were going to do a remote version?  That's
not trivial like put it in a sealed box and you're done.  People have
asked about it, but I don't recall them saying it was on the list.
73, Guy.

On Thu, Sep 20, 2012 at 12:21 PM, Bruce Hammond <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I see the KAT500 (indoor) version is set to ship Oct 1-15 timeframe. Tech
> info and shipping target date for remote version of KAT500 would be
> appreciated.
>

> -----
> 73 de KK7EL Bruce

Re: KAT500 Remote Version

Bruce Hammond
Guy, it was announced June 16, 2010 by Wayne, see link below:
http://elecraft.365791.n2.nabble.com/Elecraft-KAT500-was-quot-Auto-Tuner-quot-td5188575.html

I sure hope they do it and soon.
73 de KK7EL Bruce

Re: KAT500 Remote Version

Doug Faunt N6TQS +1-510-655-8604
I will note that at least one thing stated below is no longer the case-
the size.
And the different form factor may make a remote model more difficult.
But I'm hoping that will not be a problem.

73, doug

On 09/20/12 10:52, Bruce Hammond wrote:

> Guy, it was announced June 16, 2010 by Wayne, see link below:
>
> http://elecraft.365791.n2.nabble.com/Elecraft-KAT500-was-quot-Auto-Tuner-quot-td5188575.html
>
> I sure hope they do it and soon.
>

> -----
> 73 de KK7EL Bruce

Re: KAT500 Remote Version

wayne burdick
Administrator
It may be possible to remote the KAT500 with additional control
firmware and an appropriate weather-proof enclosure. We haven't done
any testing of this idea yet, but once we start shipping KAT500s,
we'll work with a few customers who want to experiment with this to
see what we can do to facilitate it.

73,
Wayne
N6KR

Re: KAT500 Remote Version

Bruce Hammond
Thanks Wayne! I look forward to seeing what comes out of it.

73 de KK7EL Bruce

On 09/20/2012 12:12, wayne burdick [via Elecraft] wrote:
It may be possible to remote the KAT500 with additional control
firmware and an appropriate weather-proof enclosure. We haven't done
any testing of this idea yet, but once we start shipping KAT500s,
we'll work with a few customers who want to experiment with this to
see what we can do to facilitate it.

73,
Wayne
N6KR

http://elecraft.365791.n2.nabble.com/KAT500-Remote-Version-tp7563017p7563026.html
To unsubscribe from KAT500 Remote Version, click here.
NAML

73 de KK7EL Bruce

Re: KAT500 Remote Version

David Bunte
I have been trying to decide between the KAT500... and a remote tuner at
the base of my 30' vertical.  I have measured the SWR on each band, at the
shack end of my 125' of LMR600.  If I take that length, frequency and SWR
information and plug it into the chart for SWR loss of LMR600, I can see
what my loss is on each band... but I am not sure that tells the entire
story.

Intuitively it seems that I want the ATU as close to the antenna as
possible.  I could shorten my feedline to about 65'.  I could mount an ATU
just inside my basement at about 30' from the antenna (and avoid a
weatherproof box - as long as the ATU does not need to be seen or touched),
or I could mount it at the base of the antenna, but that would be very much
more challenging.

Is the SWR loss, based on my cable type, length & frequency all I need
consider, or am I missing something?

Some people have told me that I need consider nothing else... others have
said that "tuner loss" is critical, and that will be greater than the line
loss.  That sounds bogus to me, but I really don't know.

I also know that the ATU in my K3 can make the rig very happy on 80 through
6 with this antenna and 125' of cable... but I don't know if matching the
antenna at the end of 1', 30' or 65' will be harder, or easier.

It was suggested that the TLW program by N6BV, that is packaged with the
ARRL Antenna Book would help, but I have not been able to figure out how to
use it, and can find no instructions for that program.

Any and all help will be appreciated.

Dave - K9FN

On Thu, Sep 20, 2012 at 2:50 PM, Wayne Burdick <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It may be possible to remote the KAT500 with additional control
> firmware and an appropriate weather-proof enclosure. We haven't done
> any testing of this idea yet, but once we start shipping KAT500s,
> we'll work with a few customers who want to experiment with this to
> see what we can do to facilitate it.
>
> 73,
> Wayne
> N6KR

Re: KAT500 Remote Version

Dick Dievendorff
This web page may be of help to understand TLW:
http://www.antennex.com/shack/Dec04/tlnw.htm

73 de Dick, K6KR

I have been trying to decide between the KAT500... and a remote tuner at the
base of my 30' vertical.  I have measured the SWR on each band, at the shack
end of my 125' of LMR600.  If I take that length, frequency and SWR
information and plug it into the chart for SWR loss of LMR600, I can see
what my loss is on each band... but I am not sure that tells the entire
story.

Intuitively it seems that I want the ATU as close to the antenna as
possible.  I could shorten my feedline to about 65'.  I could mount an ATU
just inside my basement at about 30' from the antenna (and avoid a
weatherproof box - as long as the ATU does not need to be seen or touched),
or I could mount it at the base of the antenna, but that would be very much
more challenging.

Is the SWR loss, based on my cable type, length & frequency all I need
consider, or am I missing something?

Some people have told me that I need consider nothing else... others have
said that "tuner loss" is critical, and that will be greater than the line
loss.  That sounds bogus to me, but I really don't know.

I also know that the ATU in my K3 can make the rig very happy on 80 through
6 with this antenna and 125' of cable... but I don't know if matching the
antenna at the end of 1', 30' or 65' will be harder, or easier.

It was suggested that the TLW program by N6BV, that is packaged with the
ARRL Antenna Book would help, but I have not been able to figure out how to
use it, and can find no instructions for that program.

Any and all help will be appreciated.

Dave - K9FN

On Thu, Sep 20, 2012 at 2:50 PM, Wayne Burdick <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It may be possible to remote the KAT500 with additional control
> firmware and an appropriate weather-proof enclosure. We haven't done
> any testing of this idea yet, but once we start shipping KAT500s,
> we'll work with a few customers who want to experiment with this to
> see what we can do to facilitate it.
>
> 73,
> Wayne
> N6KR

> list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html

Re: KAT500 Remote Version

David,

Those who have mentioned "tuner loss" may or may not be correct - it all
depends on the tuner.  If the tuner is of the "T match" variety, it will
have multiple points where it can show a match, but many of those
"matched" points will result in high circulating currents in the tuner
and high losses.

Elecraft tuners are "L-match" tuners, and do not suffer from those false
tuning points - it will either match the load or it will fail.

You LMR600 coax is very low loss and at frequencies below 30 MHz. I
would offer that a 100 foot run could have an SWR as high as 5:1 and the
loss would be acceptable.  If your coax run is longer than that, or your
SWR is higher, then, yes, I would feel more comfortable with a remote
antenna tuner to keep the SWR on the coax down to a reasonable level.

On 9/20/2012 3:59 PM, David Bunte wrote:

> I have been trying to decide between the KAT500... and a remote tuner at
> the base of my 30' vertical.  I have measured the SWR on each band, at the
> shack end of my 125' of LMR600.  If I take that length, frequency and SWR
> information and plug it into the chart for SWR loss of LMR600, I can see
> what my loss is on each band... but I am not sure that tells the entire
> story.
>
> Intuitively it seems that I want the ATU as close to the antenna as
> possible.  I could shorten my feedline to about 65'.  I could mount an ATU
> just inside my basement at about 30' from the antenna (and avoid a
> weatherproof box - as long as the ATU does not need to be seen or touched),
> or I could mount it at the base of the antenna, but that would be very much
> more challenging.
>
> Is the SWR loss, based on my cable type, length & frequency all I need
> consider, or am I missing something?
>
> Some people have told me that I need consider nothing else... others have
> said that "tuner loss" is critical, and that will be greater than the line
> loss.  That sounds bogus to me, but I really don't know.
>
> I also know that the ATU in my K3 can make the rig very happy on 80 through
> 6 with this antenna and 125' of cable... but I don't know if matching the
> antenna at the end of 1', 30' or 65' will be harder, or easier.
>
> It was suggested that the TLW program by N6BV, that is packaged with the
> ARRL Antenna Book would help, but I have not been able to figure out how to
> use it, and can find no instructions for that program.
>
> Any and all help will be appreciated.
>
> Dave - K9FN
>

> On Thu, Sep 20, 2012 at 2:50 PM, Wayne Burdick <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> It may be possible to remote the KAT500 with additional control
>> firmware and an appropriate weather-proof enclosure. We haven't done
>> any testing of this idea yet, but once we start shipping KAT500s,
>> we'll work with a few customers who want to experiment with this to
>> see what we can do to facilitate it.
>>
>> 73,
>> Wayne
>> N6KR

>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]

Re: KAT500 Remote Version

alsopb
David,

It's worth trying to figure out TLW.
Steps are basically this for coax loss:
1) Select coax type
2) Input length
3) Input frequency.

The fun begins when one looks at the loss of the coax for various loads.
Input 50 ohms first.  That will give you the coax loss when matched.
Then input other values and you will see total loss including the mismatch.

Here are some examples using 125' of LMR600
20M  matched .33 db
20M 10 ohms  .805 db
20M 250 ohms .8 db
20M 500 ohms 1.43 db

10M matched  .506 db
10M 10 ohms  1.19 db
10M 250 ohm  1.15 db
10M 500 ohms 2.0 db

I wouldn't want to put a hacksaw to that beautiful (and expensive) coax
to "improve things". Fittings aren't cheap either. Cutting it in half
would pick up a max of 1 db in the above cases.  In most cases it is
less than 0.5 db.  1db is the minimum discernible signal level change a
human can detect.

TLW can do a lot more than the above.

73 de Brian/K3KO

-----
No virus found in this message.

Re: KAT500 Remote Version

ab2tc
Hi,

I am one of those customers interested in outdoors, remote location of the KAT500. I have a suspicion that I may be too late in the ordering queue (a day and a half or so after orders opened) that I may not be able do much experimentation before winter weather sets in, but one can always hope. One of the challenges will be to communicate with it over a distance of about 100' and I expect I have to use an Ethernet serial server that I already possess.

AB2TC - Knut

Bruce Hammond wrote
Thanks Wayne! I look forward to seeing what comes out of it.

73 de KK7EL Bruce

On 09/20/2012 12:12, wayne burdick [via Elecraft] wrote:
> It may be possible to remote the KAT500 with additional control
> firmware and an appropriate weather-proof enclosure. We haven't done
> any testing of this idea yet, but once we start shipping KAT500s,
> we'll work with a few customers who want to experiment with this to
> see what we can do to facilitate it.
>
> 73,
> Wayne
> N6KR
<snip>

Re: KAT500 Remote Version

n7ws
What Don says is true as far as it goes.  The L-network tuner has only one solution, but it isn't necessarily a good one.

Way back in 1998 when correspondence was via typewriter and snail mail, I went around with Dean Straw, N6BV, then Editor of the ARRL Antenna Book, about tuner losses.  This was in conjunction with the editing of my paper, "Balanced Transmission Lines in Current Amateur Practice" that appeared in the Sixth Edition of the ARRL Antenna Compendium.

Remarkably (coincidence I'm sure ;) it wasn't long before favored authors were contributing articles to QST about how to measure tuner losses and TLW was written.

Tuner and line losses really do matter.

Wes  N7WS

--- On Thu, 9/20/12, Don Wilhelm <[hidden email]> wrote:

David,

Those who have mentioned "tuner loss" may or may not be correct - it all
depends on the tuner.  If the tuner is of the "T match" variety, it will
have multiple points where it can show a match, but many of those
"matched" points will result in high circulating currents in the tuner
and high losses.

Elecraft tuners are "L-match" tuners, and do not suffer from those false
tuning points - it will either match the load or it will fail.

You LMR600 coax is very low loss and at frequencies below 30 MHz. I
would offer that a 100 foot run could have an SWR as high as 5:1 and the
loss would be acceptable.  If your coax run is longer than that, or your
SWR is higher, then, yes, I would feel more comfortable with a remote
antenna tuner to keep the SWR on the coax down to a reasonable level.

On 9/20/2012 3:59 PM, David Bunte wrote:

> I have been trying to decide between the KAT500... and a remote tuner at
> the base of my 30' vertical.  I have measured the SWR on each band, at the
> shack end of my 125' of LMR600.  If I take that length, frequency and SWR
> information and plug it into the chart for SWR loss of LMR600, I can see
> what my loss is on each band... but I am not sure that tells the entire
> story.
>
> Intuitively it seems that I want the ATU as close to the antenna as
> possible.  I could shorten my feedline to about 65'.  I could mount an ATU
> just inside my basement at about 30' from the antenna (and avoid a
> weatherproof box - as long as the ATU does not need to be seen or touched),
> or I could mount it at the base of the antenna, but that would be very much
> more challenging.
>
> Is the SWR loss, based on my cable type, length & frequency all I need
> consider, or am I missing something?
>
> Some people have told me that I need consider nothing else... others have
> said that "tuner loss" is critical, and that will be greater than the line
> loss.  That sounds bogus to me, but I really don't know.
>
> I also know that the ATU in my K3 can make the rig very happy on 80 through
> 6 with this antenna and 125' of cable... but I don't know if matching the
> antenna at the end of 1', 30' or 65' will be harder, or easier.
>
> It was suggested that the TLW program by N6BV, that is packaged with the
> ARRL Antenna Book would help, but I have not been able to figure out how to
> use it, and can find no instructions for that program.
>
> Any and all help will be appreciated.
>
> Dave - K9FN

Re: KAT500 Remote Version

Geoffrey Mackenzie-Kennedy-3
Hi Wayne,

An important consideration IMHO when designing a remote AMU (ATU), is the
noise that it makes when tuning.  Neighbours, for some strange reason, don't
like to be awakend by the sound of relays nor tuning motors when they are
sleeping :-)

73,

Geoff
LX2AO

On September 20, 2012 at 8:50 PM, Wayne Burdick wrote:

> It may be possible to remote the KAT500 with additional control
> firmware and an appropriate weather-proof enclosure. We haven't done
> any testing of this idea yet, but once we start shipping KAT500s,
> we'll work with a few customers who want to experiment with this to
> see what we can do to facilitate it.
>
> 73,
> Wayne
> N6KR

Re: KAT500 Remote Version

David Cutter
Indeed, the sole reason that I do not use my screwdriver vertical, it would
wake the dead.

David
G3UNA

> Hi Wayne,
>
> An important consideration IMHO when designing a remote AMU (ATU), is the
> noise that it makes when tuning.  Neighbours, for some strange reason,
> don't
> like to be awakend by the sound of relays nor tuning motors when they are
> sleeping :-)
>
> 73,
>
> Geoff
> LX2AO
>

> On September 20, 2012 at 8:50 PM, Wayne Burdick wrote:
>

>> It may be possible to remote the KAT500 with additional control
>> firmware and an appropriate weather-proof enclosure. We haven't done
>> any testing of this idea yet, but once we start shipping KAT500s,
>> we'll work with a few customers who want to experiment with this to
>> see what we can do to facilitate it.
>>
>> 73,
>> Wayne
>> N6KR

Re: KAT500 Remote Version

ab2tc
Hi,

That's not true. The L network's only solution is the lowest Q possible, meaning it will have the lowest tuner loss possible and the widest bandwidth. And if the capacitor and inductor steps are made small enough, a 1.0:1 solution is always possible. The fact that many tuners give up once the SWR is below 2.0 or 1.5 is merely a shortcoming in their tuning algorithms. I am having high hopes for the KAT500. Is anything known on how many bits of L and C resolution is there?

AB2TC - Knut

Wes Stewart wrote
What Don says is true as far as it goes.  The L-network tuner has only one solution, but it isn't necessarily a good one.

Way back in 1998 when correspondence was via typewriter and snail mail, I went around with Dean Straw, N6BV, then Editor of the ARRL Antenna Book, about tuner losses.  This was in conjunction with the editing of my paper, "Balanced Transmission Lines in Current Amateur Practice" that appeared in the Sixth Edition of the ARRL Antenna Compendium.

Remarkably (coincidence I'm sure ;) it wasn't long before favored authors were contributing articles to QST about how to measure tuner losses and TLW was written.

Tuner and line losses really do matter.

Wes  N7WS

<snip>

Re: KAT500 Remote Version

Arie Kleingeld PA3A-2
Dave,

I always use TL Details whicj can be downloaded here at wbsite of AC6LA
: http://www.ac6la.com/tldetails.html

It is easy to use.
Choose the cable that you are using, set the frequency, set the line
length and set an estiimate of the impedance at the load.
If you donot know that and your swr meter says 1:3, then set R tot 150.
This makes the program calculate with SWR 3

Then you can read the loss and some other nice things  from this very
nice little tool.
It has been on my computers for a very long time, and has become a
standard program for me to install on my computer.

73
Arie PA3A

Op 20-9-2012 21:59, David Bunte schreef:

> It was suggested that the TLW program by N6BV, that is packaged with the
> ARRL Antenna Book would help, but I have not been able to figure out how to
> use it, and can find no instructions for that program.
>
> Any and all help will be appreciated.
>
> Dave - K9FN

Re: KAT500 Remote Version

n7ws
Semantics.   When I say, "It's not necessarily a good one", I mean that just because a match is achieved, it doesn't mean that one should accept the situation.  Even though the L-network offers the lowest loss (it doesn't always) it doesn't mean it is "low loss", in fact the loss can be quite high.  A simple change in transmission line length might be beneficial.

I can demonstrate that two L-networks in series, using the same component unloaded Qs, can offer (very) slightly lower loss that a single L-network doing the same transformation.  It's often assumed, incorrectly, that the fewer components, the better.  Not true.