KAT500 query

Joe K2UF
I saw on the Elecraft web site that the KAT500 will be available in the
march/april time frame but I did not see any info on the estimated cost.

I have been saving my pocket change and bottle deposits and I have saved
about $75.  I'm curious if that will cover the price or should I keep saving
my pennies  ;o}

Joe K2UF

No trees were harmed in the sending of this e-mail; however, many electrons
were inconvenienced.

Re: KAT500 query

Bruce Beford-2
More pennies 8-). You're probably about 10% of the way there...
73,
Bruce, N1RX

> I have been saving my pocket change and bottle deposits and I have saved
> about $75.  I'm curious if that will cover the price or should I keep
saving
> my pennies  ;o}

Re: KAT500 query

Phil Hystad-3
Maybe we should start a pool on guesses to the price of the KAT500.

I am guessing that Joe (K2UF) is closer to being 18% to 20% there with his
cache of pennies totaling $75.

73, phil, K7PEH

On Jan 28, 2012, at 7:18 AM, Bruce Beford wrote:

> More pennies 8-). You're probably about 10% of the way there...
> 73,
> Bruce, N1RX
>
>> I have been saving my pocket change and bottle deposits and I have saved
>> about $75.  I'm curious if that will cover the price or should I keep
> saving
>> my pennies  ;o}

Re: KAT500 query

Oliver Dröse
10%, Bruce? That would make $750 for the KAT-500 if my math is correct. ;-))

No way it will sell for that money ... the LDG AT-600 is $350 for
comparison. I know the KAT-500 will probably be better (greater tuning
range, more power on 6m, etc.) but I suppose double the price is a no-go for
most. $499 assembled might be a better fit to the market ... ;-))

Vy 73, Olli - DH8BQA
http://www.dh8bqa.de/

> More pennies 8-). You're probably about 10% of the way there...
> 73,
> Bruce, N1RX
>
>> I have been saving my pocket change and bottle deposits and I have saved
>> about $75.  I'm curious if that will cover the price or should I keep
> saving
>> my pennies  ;o}

> -----
> eMail ist virenfrei.
> Von AVG uberpruft - www.avg.de
> Version: 2012.0.1901 / Virendatenbank: 2109/4771 - Ausgabedatum:
> 27.01.2012

Re: KAT500 query

Bruce Beford-2
My speculation is based upon 3 antenna ports, and fitted with the pass-thru
option for the K3 SubRX that was mentioned before (hopefully that has not
been dropped during the design process). Add to that the wide tuning range,
and plenty of designed in power handling margin, as well as nice tight
integration with the K3/KPA500.

Less for the kit version, without the K3 SubRX pass thru option, but we'll
see, won't we? I'd rather guess high and be pleasantly surprised, rather
than the other way around, yes?
73,
Bruce, N1RX

> 10%, Bruce? That would make $750 for the KAT-500 if my math is correct.
;-))

> No way it will sell for that money ... the LDG AT-600 is $350 for
> comparison. I know the KAT-500 will probably be better (greater tuning
> range, more power on 6m, etc.) but I suppose double the price is a no-go
for
> most. $499 assembled might be a better fit to the market ... ;-))

Re: KAT500 query

Phil Hystad-3
If everybody guesses low, maybe $350 or under then we might influence the
"pricing" discussions that Wayne and Eric will obviously hold in their
weekly marketing meetings.  Surely they have marketing meetings once a
week.  Wayne says to Eric: "Everyone thinks it will cost only $325, we can't
possibly sell it for $450"

I see the possibility of different versions.  There is the cheaper version that
actually does not do anything but for all appearances it looks just like a
KAT500.  Easy kit build with the cabinet, LEDs, and so on.  No power
required.  When someone visits your shack, they will see it there sitting
on your K3.  Of course, no LEDs are lit and you can tell your visitor that it
is off, not using it right now.

The next version up would allow me to "tune" a 50-ohm resistor and also
show a few LEDs lit in random fashion.

The high end version could be more expensive, maybe $550 and it would
allow me to tune the douglas fir trees in my back yard.  Support for
antenna arrays would allow me to simultaneously tune the red cedar
that is in the back corner of the yard.

I know I am looking forward to the KAT500.  And, I will buy the expensive
kit version, no matter the cost, as soon as it is released.

73, phil, K7PEH

On Jan 28, 2012, at 8:39 AM, Bruce Beford wrote:

> My speculation is based upon 3 antenna ports, and fitted with the pass-thru
> option for the K3 SubRX that was mentioned before (hopefully that has not
> been dropped during the design process). Add to that the wide tuning range,
> and plenty of designed in power handling margin, as well as nice tight
> integration with the K3/KPA500.
>
> Less for the kit version, without the K3 SubRX pass thru option, but we'll
> see, won't we? I'd rather guess high and be pleasantly surprised, rather
> than the other way around, yes?
> 73,
> Bruce, N1RX
>
>> 10%, Bruce? That would make $750 for the KAT-500 if my math is correct.
> ;-))
>
>> No way it will sell for that money ... the LDG AT-600 is $350 for
>> comparison. I know the KAT-500 will probably be better (greater tuning
>> range, more power on 6m, etc.) but I suppose double the price is a no-go
> for
>> most. $499 assembled might be a better fit to the market ... ;-))

Re: KAT500 query

David Gilbert

Seriously??

Dave   AB7E

On 1/28/2012 10:16 AM, Phil Hystad wrote:
> I will buy the expensive kit version, no matter the cost, as soon as it is released.
>
> 73, phil, K7PEH

Re: KAT500 query

Oliver Dröse
> Less for the kit version, without the K3 SubRX pass thru option, but we'll
> see, won't we? I'd rather guess high and be pleasantly surprised, rather
> than the other way around, yes?

Sure Bruce, full ack. ;-)) But nevertheless $750 would be much overpriced
(for me at least) even including the "Elecraft mojo bonus" which the guys
surely deserve. ;-)) But you're right, we'll see ...

Speaking of K2 SubRX pass thru - how is that going to work with using the
KPA500 plus KAT500? Would the KAT500 have 3 antenna connectors for the
antennas plus 2 for the TRX/PA connection? I.e. one to go to the KPA500 and
the other one to the K3 AUX connector? Does that make sense?

Even more important for me is how to switch the antennas on the KAT500 then,
especially when running a non-Elecraft transceiver as an exciter? Sure,
could be buttons on the front ;-)) but I'm rather interested in some kind of
automatism for my remote station operation (without needing to power up the
KAT500 Utility program then as I run out of available serial ports, hihi).
Hopefully they adopt(ed) their very good frequency counter solution from the
KPA500 so you would configure the ports once (i.e. 160 - 30 m Ant 1, 20 - 10
m Ant 2, 6 m Ant 3) and it would be stored and automatically
recalled/switched whenever you transmit. Or simply send band information
from the KPA500 to the KAT500. But then it would not be "universal" anymore,
would it? ;-))

Anyway, very interested to see the specs but suppose we'll have to wait
another few month' time.

Vy 73, Olli - DH8BQA
http://www.dh8bqa.de/

Re: KAT500 query

Bruce Beford-2

Yes sir,
speculation is just that. I didn't really think the KAT500 -should- sell for
$750 USD. I was rounding off a bit when I tossed out the "$75.00 is about
10%" line. I actually expect a KAT500 with subRX features to sell in the
$600 price range, assembled. I have assembled or outright built all of my
Elecraft gear, and I hope I have the option of doing the same with the
KAT500. (I have a KX3 kit on order also).

While we're on the subject of Elecraft mojo- that somewhat difficult to
define substance...

I have worked HK0NA on 20 band/modes so far on 80-10, using a 176ft doublet.
The K3/P3/KPA500 has made this a fun hunt. I am lucky, in that I only have 1
QSO that seems to have been "lost" in their logs. Not bad compared to some
who have worked them on 15 band/modes, but the log only shows 3- ouch!
Assuming they find my "lost" 12M RTTY Q, I just need them on 80/40/10M RTTY
for a clean sweep of the bands I run here.

Big Fun.

73 es see you in the pile-ups,
Bruce, N1RX

> Less for the kit version, without the K3 SubRX pass thru option, but we'll
> see, won't we? I'd rather guess high and be pleasantly surprised, rather
> than the other way around, yes?

Sure Bruce, full ack. ;-)) But nevertheless $750 would be much overpriced
(for me at least) even including the "Elecraft mojo bonus" which the guys
surely deserve. ;-)) But you're right, we'll see ...

Re: KAT500 query

Phil Hystad-3
Sure -- seriously.  This is because I am pretty sure that it will be fairly priced.

73, phil, K7PEH

On Jan 28, 2012, at 10:28 AM, David Gilbert wrote:

> Seriously??
>
> Dave   AB7E
>

> On 1/28/2012 10:16 AM, Phil Hystad wrote:
>> I will buy the expensive kit version, no matter the cost, as soon as it is released.
>>
>> 73, phil, K7PEH

Re: KAT500 query

Arie Kleingeld PA3A-2
How about $349?