KAT500

Re: KAT500

Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ
Administrator
You will need to purchase an additional KPAK3AUX cable if you wish to send band data in advance of TX from the K3 to the KAT500.

73,

Eric

www.elecraft.com
_..._

On Oct 5, 2012, at 12:23 PM, Jim Sheldon <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I guess the question now becomes - Is that cable going to be supplied with the KAT500 or do I have to contact Elecraft and have an additional cable placed on the order I put in back in May, during the Dayton Hamvention?  Been waiting patiently for that order to be filled so it would be nice to know if I have to order another cable before the KAT500 finally gets here.
>
> Jim Sheldon - w0EB
>
>> For a K-line, you'll want a 15-pin cable from K3 (after the Y) to
>> the KAT500
>> and another from the KAT500 to the KPA500.  The KAT500 interrupts
>> the KPA500
>> key line in that cable during tune, and both the KAT500 and KPA500
>> observe
>> the K3's BAND0 thru BAND3 lines.
>>
>> If you aren't using a K3, then the KAT500, like the KPA500, can
>> sense band
>> changes by counting the Tx frequency.
>>
>> But it's very convenient to band switch the K3 and have the ATU and
>> amp
>> follow without requiring a transmission. The ATU switches to the
>> last-used
>> antenna on band switch (or to a fixed antenna you configure).  It's
>> nice not
>> to have to send a "dit" to make that antenna switch happen.
>>
>> The manual is in progress.
>>
>> 73 de Dick, K6KR

Re: KAT500

Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ
It is not supplied with the KAT500.

73,

Eric

www.elecraft.com
_..._

On Oct 5, 2012, at 12:27 PM, N5GE <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dick,
>
> Thanks for the description.
>
> Can you give a yes or no answer to Bob's question regarding whether
> or not the extra 15 pin cable is included with the KAT500?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Amateur Radio Operator N5GE
> ARRL Lifetime Member
> QCWA Lifetime Member
>
> On Fri, 5 Oct 2012 12:08:43 -0700, "Dick Dievendorff"
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> For a K-line, you'll want a 15-pin cable from K3 (after the Y) to the KAT500
>> and another from the KAT500 to the KPA500.  The KAT500 interrupts the KPA500
>> key line in that cable during tune, and both the KAT500 and KPA500 observe
>> the K3's BAND0 thru BAND3 lines.
>>
>> If you aren't using a K3, then the KAT500, like the KPA500, can sense band
>> changes by counting the Tx frequency.
>>
>> But it's very convenient to band switch the K3 and have the ATU and amp
>> follow without requiring a transmission. The ATU switches to the last-used
>> antenna on band switch (or to a fixed antenna you configure).  It's nice not
>> to have to send a "dit" to make that antenna switch happen.
>>
>> The manual is in progress.
>>
>> 73 de Dick, K6KR

Re: KAT500

Phil Hystad-3
Eric,

I have not been keeping up here but can you clarify what you are saying below.  Here, let me ask: is this "additional" cable needed to use the KAT500 with a KPA500 and K3 for all normal operating.  I already placed my order for the KAT500 and I am wondering if I ordered enough stuff.  I have the K3+P3+KPA500.

73, phil, K7PEH

On Oct 5, 2012, at 9:26 PM, Eric Swartz WA6HHQ - Elecraft <[hidden email]> wrote:

> You will need to purchase an additional KPAK3AUX cable if you wish to send band data in advance of TX from the K3 to the KAT500.
>
> 73,
>
> Eric
>
> www.elecraft.com
> _..._
>

> On Oct 5, 2012, at 12:23 PM, Jim Sheldon <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I guess the question now becomes - Is that cable going to be supplied with the KAT500 or do I have to contact Elecraft and have an additional cable placed on the order I put in back in May, during the Dayton Hamvention?  Been waiting patiently for that order to be filled so it would be nice to know if I have to order another cable before the KAT500 finally gets here.
>>
>> Jim Sheldon - w0EB
>>
>>> For a K-line, you'll want a 15-pin cable from K3 (after the Y) to
>>> the KAT500
>>> and another from the KAT500 to the KPA500.  The KAT500 interrupts
>>> the KPA500
>>> key line in that cable during tune, and both the KAT500 and KPA500
>>> observe
>>> the K3's BAND0 thru BAND3 lines.
>>>
>>> If you aren't using a K3, then the KAT500, like the KPA500, can
>>> sense band
>>> changes by counting the Tx frequency.
>>>
>>> But it's very convenient to band switch the K3 and have the ATU and
>>> amp
>>> follow without requiring a transmission. The ATU switches to the
>>> last-used
>>> antenna on band switch (or to a fixed antenna you configure).  It's
>>> nice not
>>> to have to send a "dit" to make that antenna switch happen.
>>>
>>> The manual is in progress.
>>>
>>> 73 de Dick, K6KR

Re: KAT500

Iain MacDonnell - N6ML-2
Phil,

It's not absolutely necessary, but it's highly desirable. The AUX
cable gives you:

 * Instant memory-tuning (and antenna selection!) on band change
(without needing to make any RF)
 * No need for separate RCA cabling for amp-keying (it's included in
the AUX cable)
 * Various planned K3 integration features, which rely on AUXBUS

You could certainly operate without it, but it would be sub-optimal,
Since you already have the rest of the "K-line", I think you really
want the complete solution, including the cable. You could make your
own cable, of course.....

73,

    ~iain / N6ML

On Fri, Oct 5, 2012 at 9:42 PM, Phil Hystad <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Eric,
>
> I have not been keeping up here but can you clarify what you are saying below.  Here, let me ask: is this "additional" cable needed to use the KAT500 with a KPA500 and K3 for all normal operating.  I already placed my order for the KAT500 and I am wondering if I ordered enough stuff.  I have the K3+P3+KPA500.
>
> 73, phil, K7PEH
>

> On Oct 5, 2012, at 9:26 PM, Eric Swartz WA6HHQ - Elecraft <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> You will need to purchase an additional KPAK3AUX cable if you wish to send band data in advance of TX from the K3 to the KAT500.
>>
>> 73,
>>
>> Eric
>>
>> www.elecraft.com
>> _..._
>>

>> On Oct 5, 2012, at 12:23 PM, Jim Sheldon <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> I guess the question now becomes - Is that cable going to be supplied with the KAT500 or do I have to contact Elecraft and have an additional cable placed on the order I put in back in May, during the Dayton Hamvention?  Been waiting patiently for that order to be filled so it would be nice to know if I have to order another cable before the KAT500 finally gets here.
>>>
>>> Jim Sheldon - w0EB

Re: KAT500

Oliver Dröse
> * Instant memory-tuning (and antenna selection!) on band change
> (without needing to make any RF)

Antenna selection yes, memory no. How shall the tuner know which frequency
you are tuned to and which memories it should recall? BCD data only encode
the band, not the frequency. With the bands "sliced" into several segments
for which tuning memories are stored (presuming the KAT500 works the same as
the KAT3 and KXAT3 - I would bet on it, hi) you *will* need to "send a dit"
for the tuner to recognize on which frequency within a band you are and
which memory must be recalled.

Judging from the auto RF detection / band change routine in the KPA500 I bet
you will not even recognize the tuner's doing it. But that does not mean it
does not do it. ;-)

73, Olli - DH8BQA

Re: KAT500

Richard Ferch
This still seems to need some clarification.

Quoting from the KPAK3AUX Cable Set Instructions: "The KPAK3AUX cable
set consists of three components: a 15-Pin to 15-Pin DE-15 KPA500-K3 Aux
cable, a Y cable, and a Key Line Interrupter adapter." If I already have
one KPAK3AUX cable set with my KPA500, are you suggesting I need a
complete second KPAK3AUX cable set including all three components?
Wouldn't a single 15-pin to 15-pin DE-15 cable in addition to the first
KPAK3AUX cable set be sufficient?

73,
Rich VE3KI

Eric wrote:

> You will need to purchase an additional KPAK3AUX cable if you wish to send band
> data in advance of TX from the K3 to the KAT500.

Re: KAT500

Jim AB3CV
AUXBUS

On Sat, Oct 6, 2012 at 5:11 AM, Oliver Dröse <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Antenna selection yes, memory no. How shall the tuner know which frequency
> you are tuned to and which memories it should recall?

Re: KAT500

Oliver Dröse
As far as I know AUXBUS just works one way (see the K3/KPA500 integration). Otherwise there would not be any need for the BCD data from K3 to KPA500/KAT500, would it? ;-)

73, Olli - DH8BQA

  On Sat, Oct 6, 2012 at 5:11 AM, Oliver Dröse <[hidden email]> wrote:

    Antenna selection yes, memory no. How shall the tuner know which frequency
    you are tuned to and which memories it should recall?

  E-Mail ist virenfrei.
  Von AVG überprüft - www.avg.de
  Version: 2012.0.2221 / Virendatenbank: 2441/5311 - Ausgabedatum: 05.10.2012

Re: KAT500

Phil Salas
“Wouldn't a single 15-pin to 15-pin DE-15 cable in addition to the first
KPAK3AUX cable set be sufficient?73,Rich VE3KI”

Yes, this is correct.  You need a DB15HD M/F cable (SVGA cable) between the
K3 and KAT500, and the normal DB15HD M/F Elecraft-type cable between the
KAT500 and KPA500.  The KAT500 reads frequency (BCD) and interrupts the
amp-keying pin as necessary, but also passes thru all pins from the K3 AUX
connector.  So as long as you use the normal Elecraft-type aux cable between
the KAT500 and the KPA500, the undesired pins are removed in that cable.  Or
alternatively, you could use the normal Elecraft-type DB15HD M/F cable
between the K3 and KAT500, and your own (or another Elecraft) cable between
the KAT500 and KPA500.  Only one of these cables must have the appropriate
pins removed.

Make sure that any non-Elecraft DB15HD M/F cable has all 15 pins passed
thru, and no pins are shorted together.  If it makes you feel better, you
can remove the unnecessary pins from a non-Elecraft cable between the K3 and
KAT500 (you MUST remove these pins between the K3 and KPA500).  I have a
short article in the “Equipment Modifications” section of my website
(www.ad5x.com) on cable sources.  The cables I call out have all pins
connected thru and no pins are shorted together.  As my KAT500 is located
just under my K3 and my KPA500 is located more than three feet away from
both, I use a 1-foot DB15HD M/F cable between the K3 and KAT500, and a 6-ft
DB-15HD M/F cable (with the appropriate pins removed) between the KAT500 and
KPA500.

Phil – AD5X

Re: KAT500

Dick Dievendorff
Yes and no.  When the 4-wire BAND data changes, the ATU does retune on band
change to the settings for the frequency last used on the new band. This is
often close enough that the receiver works well.

Selection of the precise memory for the Tx frequency occurs (when the KAT500
is in its Automatic mode) on transmission.

The ATU does not change settings as you move across the band while
receiving.  Same as the KAT3 in this regard.

73 de Dick, K6KR

> * Instant memory-tuning (and antenna selection!) on band change
> (without needing to make any RF)

Antenna selection yes, memory no. How shall the tuner know which frequency
you are tuned to and which memories it should recall? BCD data only encode
the band, not the frequency. With the bands "sliced" into several segments
for which tuning memories are stored (presuming the KAT500 works the same as
the KAT3 and KXAT3 - I would bet on it, hi) you *will* need to "send a dit"
for the tuner to recognize on which frequency within a band you are and
which memory must be recalled.

Judging from the auto RF detection / band change routine in the KPA500 I bet
you will not even recognize the tuner's doing it. But that does not mean it
does not do it. ;-)

73, Olli - DH8BQA

Re: KAT500

Phil Hystad-3
Gang,

Thanks to all who took the time to answer my question below.  I now understand the need and the configuration.  Just to be sure I will repeat below:

When running the K3+KPA500+KAT500 together, to achieve the band following/switching features of the KAT500 you need an extra cable from the K3.  Thus,

1.  Y-adapter placed on the back of the K3.
2.  One KPAK3AUX cable running from K3 (Y-adapter) to the KPA500.
3.  One KPAK3AUX cable running from K3 (Y-adapter) to KAT500.

I just checked the web site (Order page) and found that there is no KPAK3AUX cable listed as part of the KAT500 section.  Of course there is with the KPA500 but I thought that one came with a Y-adapter as well as the cable.

Question: is there a KPAK3AUX cable by itself available from Elecraft or do you need to buy the kit again that included the Y-adapter.  Seems to me it would be cheaper if you could exclude the Y-adapter and that other little thing they include.

PEH

On Oct 5, 2012, at 9:42 PM, Phil Hystad <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Eric,
>
> I have not been keeping up here but can you clarify what you are saying below.  Here, let me ask: is this "additional" cable needed to use the KAT500 with a KPA500 and K3 for all normal operating.  I already placed my order for the KAT500 and I am wondering if I ordered enough stuff.  I have the K3+P3+KPA500.
>
> 73, phil, K7PEH
>

> On Oct 5, 2012, at 9:26 PM, Eric Swartz WA6HHQ - Elecraft <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> You will need to purchase an additional KPAK3AUX cable if you wish to send band data in advance of TX from the K3 to the KAT500.
>>
>> 73,
>>
>> Eric
>>
>> www.elecraft.com
>> _..._
>>

>> On Oct 5, 2012, at 12:23 PM, Jim Sheldon <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> I guess the question now becomes - Is that cable going to be supplied with the KAT500 or do I have to contact Elecraft and have an additional cable placed on the order I put in back in May, during the Dayton Hamvention?  Been waiting patiently for that order to be filled so it would be nice to know if I have to order another cable before the KAT500 finally gets here.
>>>
>>> Jim Sheldon - w0EB

Re: KAT500

Joe Subich, W4TV-4

No, no, no!

There is no Y adapter necessary.  Connect one Aux cable from the K3
to the KAT-500 and a second Aux cable from the KAT-500 to the KPA-500.

The Y adapter is only needed if one is connecting additional hardware
like the PR-6 (DIGOUT1 control) or an FSK interface (FSK and PTT).

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV

On 10/6/2012 11:42 AM, Phil Hystad wrote:

> Gang,
>
> Thanks to all who took the time to answer my question below.  I now understand the need and the configuration.  Just to be sure I will repeat below:
>
> When running the K3+KPA500+KAT500 together, to achieve the band following/switching features of the KAT500 you need an extra cable from the K3.  Thus,
>
> 1.  Y-adapter placed on the back of the K3.
> 2.  One KPAK3AUX cable running from K3 (Y-adapter) to the KPA500.
> 3.  One KPAK3AUX cable running from K3 (Y-adapter) to KAT500.
>

> I just checked the web site (Order page) and found that there is no KPAK3AUX cable listed as part of the KAT500 section.  Of course there is with the KPA500 but I thought that one came with a Y-adapter as well as the cable.
>
> Question: is there a KPAK3AUX cable by itself available from Elecraft or do you need to buy the kit again that included the Y-adapter.  Seems to me it would be cheaper if you could exclude the Y-adapter and that other little thing they include.
>
> PEH
>

> On Oct 5, 2012, at 9:42 PM, Phil Hystad <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Eric,
>>
>> I have not been keeping up here but can you clarify what you are saying below.  Here, let me ask: is this "additional" cable needed to use the KAT500 with a KPA500 and K3 for all normal operating.  I already placed my order for the KAT500 and I am wondering if I ordered enough stuff.  I have the K3+P3+KPA500.
>>
>> 73, phil, K7PEH
>>

>> On Oct 5, 2012, at 9:26 PM, Eric Swartz WA6HHQ - Elecraft <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> You will need to purchase an additional KPAK3AUX cable if you wish to send band data in advance of TX from the K3 to the KAT500.
>>>
>>> 73,
>>>
>>> Eric
>>>
>>> www.elecraft.com
>>> _..._

Re: KAT500

Iain MacDonnell - N6ML-2
On Sat, Oct 6, 2012 at 3:34 AM, Oliver Dröse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> As far as I know AUXBUS just works one way (see the K3/KPA500 integration). Otherwise there would not be any need for the BCD data from K3 to KPA500/KAT500, would it? ;-)

The KPA500 can only act as an AUXBUS sender, but the KAT500 is capable
of both send and receive, as is the K3.

Both KPA500 and KAT500 include "BCD" inputs to support non-Elecraft
transceivers.

73,

    ~iain / N6ML

So, I have not seen any documentation of the KAT500 and the only photo image I have see of the back of a KAT500 (on the Elecraft page is not that clear).

But,  you must be saying that there are TWO AUX adapters on the back of a KAT500.   Is that the case?

I am curious as to how the average Elecraft user gets to learn this information.  I have not found any KAT500 documentation that might describe these things.

73, phil, K7PEH

On Oct 6, 2012, at 8:53 AM, "Joe Subich, W4TV" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> No, no, no!
>
> There is no Y adapter necessary.  Connect one Aux cable from the K3
> to the KAT-500 and a second Aux cable from the KAT-500 to the KPA-500.
>
> The Y adapter is only needed if one is connecting additional hardware
> like the PR-6 (DIGOUT1 control) or an FSK interface (FSK and PTT).
>
> 73,
>
>    ... Joe, W4TV
>

> On 10/6/2012 11:42 AM, Phil Hystad wrote:
>> Gang,
>>
>> Thanks to all who took the time to answer my question below.  I now understand the need and the configuration.  Just to be sure I will repeat below:
>>
>> When running the K3+KPA500+KAT500 together, to achieve the band following/switching features of the KAT500 you need an extra cable from the K3.  Thus,
>>
>> 1.  Y-adapter placed on the back of the K3.
>> 2.  One KPAK3AUX cable running from K3 (Y-adapter) to the KPA500.
>> 3.  One KPAK3AUX cable running from K3 (Y-adapter) to KAT500.
>>

>> I just checked the web site (Order page) and found that there is no KPAK3AUX cable listed as part of the KAT500 section.  Of course there is with the KPA500 but I thought that one came with a Y-adapter as well as the cable.
>>
>> Question: is there a KPAK3AUX cable by itself available from Elecraft or do you need to buy the kit again that included the Y-adapter.  Seems to me it would be cheaper if you could exclude the Y-adapter and that other little thing they include.
>>
>> PEH
>>

>> On Oct 5, 2012, at 9:42 PM, Phil Hystad <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Eric,
>>>
>>> I have not been keeping up here but can you clarify what you are saying below.  Here, let me ask: is this "additional" cable needed to use the KAT500 with a KPA500 and K3 for all normal operating.  I already placed my order for the KAT500 and I am wondering if I ordered enough stuff.  I have the K3+P3+KPA500.
>>>
>>> 73, phil, K7PEH

Re: KAT500

Oliver Dröse
Thanks to Iain and Dick for the clarification on AUXBUS working 2-way. Only
saw it 1-way with the KPA500 yet. Still I have on mind that AUXBUS in
general is an old Elecraft protocol and timing critical as per Wayne. But if
it will work 2-way with the K3/KAT500 then of course no need for "a dit" to
even recall the correct memory for the frequency slice.

73, Olli - DH8BQA

On Sat, Oct 6, 2012 at 3:34 AM, Oliver Dröse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> As far as I know AUXBUS just works one way (see the K3/KPA500
> integration). Otherwise there would not be any need for the BCD data from
> K3 to KPA500/KAT500, would it? ;-)

The KPA500 can only act as an AUXBUS sender, but the KAT500 is capable
of both send and receive, as is the K3.

Both KPA500 and KAT500 include "BCD" inputs to support non-Elecraft
transceivers.

73,

    ~iain / N6ML

-----
E-Mail ist virenfrei.
Von AVG überprüft - www.avg.de
Version: 2012.0.2221 / Virendatenbank: 2441/5313 - Ausgabedatum: 06.10.2012

Re: KAT500

Iain MacDonnell - N6ML-2
On Sat, Oct 6, 2012 at 9:18 AM, Phil Hystad <[hidden email]> wrote:
> So, I have not seen any documentation of the KAT500 and the only photo image I have see of the back of a KAT500 (on the Elecraft page is not that clear).
>
> But,  you must be saying that there are TWO AUX adapters on the back of a KAT500.   Is that the case?

Yes - one is male and labeled "XCVR", the other female and labeled "AMP".

> I am curious as to how the average Elecraft user gets to learn this information.  I have not found any KAT500 documentation that might describe these things.

You could ask here :) I believe the manual is still in development.

73,

    ~iain / N6ML

> On Oct 6, 2012, at 8:53 AM, "Joe Subich, W4TV" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> No, no, no!
>>
>> There is no Y adapter necessary.  Connect one Aux cable from the K3
>> to the KAT-500 and a second Aux cable from the KAT-500 to the KPA-500.
>>
>> The Y adapter is only needed if one is connecting additional hardware
>> like the PR-6 (DIGOUT1 control) or an FSK interface (FSK and PTT).
>>
>> 73,
>>
>>    ... Joe, W4TV
>>

>> On 10/6/2012 11:42 AM, Phil Hystad wrote:
>>> Gang,
>>>
>>> Thanks to all who took the time to answer my question below.  I now understand the need and the configuration.  Just to be sure I will repeat below:
>>>
>>> When running the K3+KPA500+KAT500 together, to achieve the band following/switching features of the KAT500 you need an extra cable from the K3.  Thus,
>>>
>>> 1.  Y-adapter placed on the back of the K3.
>>> 2.  One KPAK3AUX cable running from K3 (Y-adapter) to the KPA500.
>>> 3.  One KPAK3AUX cable running from K3 (Y-adapter) to KAT500.
>>>

>>> I just checked the web site (Order page) and found that there is no KPAK3AUX cable listed as part of the KAT500 section.  Of course there is with the KPA500 but I thought that one came with a Y-adapter as well as the cable.
>>>
>>> Question: is there a KPAK3AUX cable by itself available from Elecraft or do you need to buy the kit again that included the Y-adapter.  Seems to me it would be cheaper if you could exclude the Y-adapter and that other little thing they include.
>>>
>>> PEH

Re: KAT500

Dick Dievendorff
Hi, Phil,

You need one 15-pin ACC cable from K3 to KAT500 and another from KAT500 to
KPA500.  The KAT500 has two 15-pin connectors, one in and one out.  See
N6TV's back panel picture at
http://www.elecraft.com/KAT500/kat500rear_visalia.jpg  the connectors are
labeled "Control" (XCVR and AMP).

This arrangement allows the ATU to interrupt the amplifier key line during
tuning. It's a serial component to component chain, not a star, from the K3
to the KPA500.  The KAT500 wires each pin of the 15-pin connector to the
equivalent on the other, except that the amplifier key line goes through a
relay.

If you use two 15-pin ACC cables, you do not also need an RCA connection for
"PTT RLY" or amplifier key line.  The amplifier keying line is duplicated
within the 15-pin cable.

For amplifier key line interrupt, you should use two 15-pin cables, or two
RCA cables (radio to ATU, ATU to amplifier). But you can't use one of each.
The RCA connectors and 15-pin ACC cables use different poles of a double
pole amplifier key line interrupt relay.

The ATU and amplifier both count transmit frequency, and both will operate
without this 15-pin connection.  The minimal connection for any radio
(including K3) and any amplifier (including KPA500) is a two-wire cable with
RCA plugs from radio to ATU and another from ATU to amplifier.

When the KAT500 and KPA500 have band information (in the ACC cable), they
can band switch without transmission, which turns out to be very convienent,
particularly if band switch implies an antenna switch. The ATU returns to
the last-used settings on the new band and your receiver works better than
it might if the ATU were still tuned for the old band.

You won't need a Y unless you have other users of the ACC connector at the
K3 end.  Some of us use the Y at the back of the K3 for FSK, PR-6, antenna
switch band decoders and the like. You might eventually find a second Y
useful if your needs at the back of the K3 expand.  That ACC connector has a
lot of uses.

We don't currently show an order item for the 15-pin two meter cable
separate from the Y and the little amplifier key line interrupter that form
the KPAK3AUX kit. The cable required is the same.  While I don't know the
exact cost breakdown of the components, I would expect that the price for a
cable-only "kit" wouldn't be a whole lot lower than the KPAK3AUX kit.

The 15-pin cable in the KPAK3AUX supply is two meters long.  That's a lot of
relatively stiff cable to find a place for when the amp and ATU are one atop
the other (either way), although some find it goes down the wall OK.  You
might find a shorter cable (perhaps 6 to 12  inches) more to your liking.

Phil, AD5X, used 10-conductor shielded cable and DB15HD connectors for his
KPA500 to MFJ ATU connection.  See his KPA500 review article. which includes
parts sources and part numbers.
http://www.ad5x.com/images/Presentations/KPA500%20Review.pdf

The K3 owner's manual shows the 15-pin ACC connector pinout.  The
KAT500/KPA500 combination uses (at most) BAND0-BAND3, AUXBUS, Ground,
PTT/KEY, ALC, and Amp inhibit.  That's 9 wires, and you can use the shield
between the shells.

73 de Dick, K6KR

<[hidden email]> wrote:

>> You will need to purchase an additional KPAK3AUX cable if you wish to
send band data in advance of TX from the K3 to the KAT500.

>> 73,
>>
>> Eric
>>
>> www.elecraft.com
>> _..._
>>

>> On Oct 5, 2012, at 12:23 PM, Jim Sheldon <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> I guess the question now becomes - Is that cable going to be supplied
with the KAT500 or do I have to contact Elecraft and have an additional
cable placed on the order I put in back in May, during the Dayton
Hamvention?  Been waiting patiently for that order to be filled so it would
be nice to know if I have to order another cable before the KAT500 finally
gets here.

>>> Jim Sheldon - w0EB

There are two DB15 jacks on the back of the KAT-500.

> I am curious as to how the average Elecraft user gets to learn this
> information.

By paying attention to the discussions here and looking at the Elecraft
web site occasionally.  For example, a picture showing the rear of the
KAT-500 has been there (http://www.elecraft.com/news.htm) for more than
five months.  I saw a prototype in Orlando last February and Dayton in
May.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV

On 10/6/2012 12:18 PM, Phil Hystad wrote:

> So, I have not seen any documentation of the KAT500 and the only photo image I have see of the back of a KAT500 (on the Elecraft page is not that clear).
>
> But,  you must be saying that there are TWO AUX adapters on the back of a KAT500.   Is that the case?
>
> I am curious as to how the average Elecraft user gets to learn this information.  I have not found any KAT500 documentation that might describe these things.
>
> 73, phil, K7PEH
>

> On Oct 6, 2012, at 8:53 AM, "Joe Subich, W4TV" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> No, no, no!
>>
>> There is no Y adapter necessary.  Connect one Aux cable from the K3
>> to the KAT-500 and a second Aux cable from the KAT-500 to the KPA-500.
>>
>> The Y adapter is only needed if one is connecting additional hardware
>> like the PR-6 (DIGOUT1 control) or an FSK interface (FSK and PTT).
>>
>> 73,
>>
>>     ... Joe, W4TV
>>

>> On 10/6/2012 11:42 AM, Phil Hystad wrote:
>>> Gang,
>>>
>>> Thanks to all who took the time to answer my question below.  I now understand the need and the configuration.  Just to be sure I will repeat below:
>>>
>>> When running the K3+KPA500+KAT500 together, to achieve the band following/switching features of the KAT500 you need an extra cable from the K3.  Thus,
>>>
>>> 1.  Y-adapter placed on the back of the K3.
>>> 2.  One KPAK3AUX cable running from K3 (Y-adapter) to the KPA500.
>>> 3.  One KPAK3AUX cable running from K3 (Y-adapter) to KAT500.
>>>

>>> I just checked the web site (Order page) and found that there is no KPAK3AUX cable listed as part of the KAT500 section.  Of course there is with the KPA500 but I thought that one came with a Y-adapter as well as the cable.
>>>
>>> Question: is there a KPAK3AUX cable by itself available from Elecraft or do you need to buy the kit again that included the Y-adapter.  Seems to me it would be cheaper if you could exclude the Y-adapter and that other little thing they include.
>>>
>>> PEH

Re: KAT500

Phil Hystad-3
Dick,

Thanks for your more than sufficient description of the cabling needs.

peh

On Oct 6, 2012, at 9:54 AM, Dick Dievendorff <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> cable-only "kit" wouldn't be a whole lot lower than the KPAK3AUX kit.
>
> The 15-pin cable in the KPAK3AUX supply is two meters long.  That's a lot of
> relatively stiff cable to find a place for when the amp and ATU are one atop
> the other (either way), although some find it goes down the wall OK.  You
> might find a shorter cable (perhaps 6 to 12  inches) more to your liking.
>
> Phil, AD5X, used 10-conductor shielded cable and DB15HD connectors for his
> KPA500 to MFJ ATU connection.  See his KPA500 review article. which includes
> parts sources and part numbers.
> http://www.ad5x.com/images/Presentations/KPA500%20Review.pdf
>
> The K3 owner's manual shows the 15-pin ACC connector pinout.  The
> KAT500/KPA500 combination uses (at most) BAND0-BAND3, AUXBUS, Ground,
> PTT/KEY, ALC, and Amp inhibit.  That's 9 wires, and you can use the shield

H A Layer
Some of these cable and connection questions might be answered if only
we could get
a peek at the forthcoming KAT500 manual. Since shipments begin in about
a week,
I, again, urge Elecraft to make available early a pdf file of the manual.

All of us can help proof read it! ;-)

73 Hal KK6HY

P.S.  To save Elecraft the hassle of shipping, I would love to pick up
my kit
     at PACIFICON next Saturday !!