KAT500

Re: KAT500

Don Wilhelm-4
Hal,

I understand your frustration, but one of the BIG tasks of Field Testing
is to review the manual and offer suggestions for change. As a result,
manuals are not available until the last days of Field Testing are
completed.  There is more than just proof reading, the phrasing in the
manual must match the average ham's mindset and be understandable
without ambiguity.  That usually requires that the reviewer must have
the hardware available as well as the manual.

On 10/6/2012 3:39 PM, H A Layer wrote:
> Some of these cable and connection questions might be answered if only
> we could get
> a peek at the forthcoming KAT500 manual. Since shipments begin in about
> a week,
> I, again, urge Elecraft to make available early a pdf file of the manual.
>
> All of us can help proof read it! ;-)

Re: KAT500

Gary Gregory
*Don,

Right on the money.

>From my point of view there are still unanswered questions on functionality
and these are still to be sorted.

73
*
On 7 October 2012 05:49, Don Wilhelm <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hal,
>
> I understand your frustration, but one of the BIG tasks of Field Testing
> is to review the manual and offer suggestions for change. As a result,
> manuals are not available until the last days of Field Testing are
> completed.  There is more than just proof reading, the phrasing in the
> manual must match the average ham's mindset and be understandable
> without ambiguity.  That usually requires that the reviewer must have
> the hardware available as well as the manual.
>
> 73,
> Don W3FPR
>
> On 10/6/2012 3:39 PM, H A Layer wrote:
> > Some of these cable and connection questions might be answered if only
> > we could get
> > a peek at the forthcoming KAT500 manual. Since shipments begin in about
> > a week,
> > I, again, urge Elecraft to make available early a pdf file of the manual.
> >
> > All of us can help proof read it! ;-)

*Gary*
*Start the day off slow, then taper off.........*
K3 #679
KPA500FT #18
KAT500FT 007
P3 #1629

Re: KAT500

k6dgw
Been gone for 5 days to Alpine County CA for the Cal QSO Party [N6A -
thanks for something around 2,700 Q's!], and came back to 200+ messages
from this list.

A large number on K3<->KAT500<->KPA500 cabling.  I wonder what I'm missing?

 From the KAT500 ordering page:

"E850463 Optional KAT500 to KPA500 Cable"

     "KAT500 to KPA500 cable. Provides band data to KAT500 for band
change prior to TX,, and feeds through KPAK3AUX cable data from the K3
to the KPA500.  Typically used in addition to the KPAK3AUX cable from
the K3 to route band data, keying and AUXBUS data through the KAT500 to
the KPA500. (The KAT500 has AUX Cable IN and OUT connections.)"

     "This is the same 15 pin cable as is contained in the KPAP3AUX
cable set (see above, under the KPA500). That set also includes a Y
cable expansion adapter and a TX line keying interrupt adapter for the
K3 to KPA500 link."

The KPAK3AUX cable is $35, the E850463 is $25. I presume the difference
is the Y-cable expansion adapted and TX line keying interrupt adapter
included in the KPAK3AUX cable set but not in E850463.

I'll add the E850463 to my KAT500 order.  If my understanding of the
KAT500 order page is incorrect, possibly someone could explain it to me,
although the above seems pretty clear right now.  The E850463 won't be
lonely behind the rig.  I often wonder when I'm back there why this is
called "wireless."

I truly don't care how the "K-gizmos" talk to each other, or what they
say while they're doing it and I suspect I'm not alone.  Unfortunately,
these threads usually drift into those sorts of details, to the
confusion of the uninformed.

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the 2013 Cal QSO Party 5-6 Oct 2013
- www.cqp.org

On 10/6/2012 9:02 AM, iain macdonnell - N6ML wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 6, 2012 at 3:34 AM, Oliver Dröse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> As far as I know AUXBUS just works one way (see the K3/KPA500 integration). Otherwise there would not be any need for the BCD data from K3 to KPA500/KAT500, would it? ;-)
>
> The KPA500 can only act as an AUXBUS sender, but the KAT500 is capable
> of both send and receive, as is the K3.
>
> Both KPA500 and KAT500 include "BCD" inputs to support non-Elecraft
> transceivers.

Re: KAT500

Iain MacDonnell - N6ML-2
Hi Fred,

That option (E850463) wasn't there last week - in fact it wasn't even
there just now, until I reloaded the page ;)

73,

    ~iain / N6ML

On Mon, Oct 8, 2012 at 12:44 PM, Fred Jensen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Been gone for 5 days to Alpine County CA for the Cal QSO Party [N6A -
> thanks for something around 2,700 Q's!], and came back to 200+ messages
> from this list.
>
> A large number on K3<->KAT500<->KPA500 cabling.  I wonder what I'm missing?
>
>  From the KAT500 ordering page:
>
> "E850463 Optional KAT500 to KPA500 Cable"
>
>      "KAT500 to KPA500 cable. Provides band data to KAT500 for band
> change prior to TX,, and feeds through KPAK3AUX cable data from the K3
> to the KPA500.  Typically used in addition to the KPAK3AUX cable from
> the K3 to route band data, keying and AUXBUS data through the KAT500 to
> the KPA500. (The KAT500 has AUX Cable IN and OUT connections.)"
>
>      "This is the same 15 pin cable as is contained in the KPAP3AUX
> cable set (see above, under the KPA500). That set also includes a Y
> cable expansion adapter and a TX line keying interrupt adapter for the
> K3 to KPA500 link."
>
> The KPAK3AUX cable is $35, the E850463 is $25. I presume the difference
> is the Y-cable expansion adapted and TX line keying interrupt adapter
> included in the KPAK3AUX cable set but not in E850463.
>
> I'll add the E850463 to my KAT500 order.  If my understanding of the
> KAT500 order page is incorrect, possibly someone could explain it to me,
> although the above seems pretty clear right now.  The E850463 won't be
> lonely behind the rig.  I often wonder when I'm back there why this is
> called "wireless."
>
> I truly don't care how the "K-gizmos" talk to each other, or what they
> say while they're doing it and I suspect I'm not alone.  Unfortunately,
> these threads usually drift into those sorts of details, to the
> confusion of the uninformed.
>
> 73,
>
> Fred K6DGW
> - Northern California Contest Club
> - CU in the 2013 Cal QSO Party 5-6 Oct 2013
> - www.cqp.org
>
> On 10/6/2012 9:02 AM, iain macdonnell - N6ML wrote:
>> On Sat, Oct 6, 2012 at 3:34 AM, Oliver Dröse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> As far as I know AUXBUS just works one way (see the K3/KPA500 integration). Otherwise there would not be any need for the BCD data from K3 to KPA500/KAT500, would it? ;-)
>>
>> The KPA500 can only act as an AUXBUS sender, but the KAT500 is capable
>> of both send and receive, as is the K3.
>>
>> Both KPA500 and KAT500 include "BCD" inputs to support non-Elecraft
>> transceivers.

Re: KAT500

GI4FZD
Now that it is the 15th October is the KAT500 shipping?
cheers
Paul
GI4FZD

Re: KAT500

Iain MacDonnell - N6ML-2
On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 11:37 AM, GI4FZD <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Now that it is the 15th October is the KAT500 shipping?

Apparently; http://elecraft.365791.n2.nabble.com/KAT500-td7564028.html

73,

    ~iain / N6ML

Re: KAT500

GI4FZD
This post was updated on .
Yes I saw that one had shipped, was that the only one?
Did anybody else get notified?
Also noticed no manual available yet!!
Cheers
Paul
GI4FZD

Re: KAT500

N5GE-2

Yes it is.

Those who purchased at Dayton will get theirs first, then the rest of
us, according to the ladies at E Shipping...

Amateur Radio Operator N5GE
ARRL Lifetime Member
QCWA Lifetime Member

On Mon, 15 Oct 2012 11:37:22 -0700 (PDT), GI4FZD <[hidden email]>
wrote:

>Now that it is the 15th October is the KAT500 shipping?
>cheers
>Paul
>GI4FZD

Re: KAT500

Jim Brown-10
I was told by folks in the Elecraft booth that they had begun shipping
production units. I'm pretty sure that things will start slowly and
build over time.

73, Jim K9YC

Re: KAT500

Bob-270
Hopefully that is not the case!   On the 1st day of Dayton they also took phone
orders.
At that time I was given my "official" time and was told I would be entered into
the queue
by time of order placement.

So now I'm 3 days down in the queue?    I surely hope not.  Who said the
original terms
were changed.   I was given my time of order from Vicki on May18th.

73,
Bob
K2TK

On 10/15/2012 3:06 PM, N5GE wrote:

> Yes it is.
>
> Those who purchased at Dayton will get theirs first, then the rest of
> us, according to the ladies at E Shipping...
>
> Amateur Radio Operator N5GE
> ARRL Lifetime Member
> QCWA Lifetime Member
>
> On Mon, 15 Oct 2012 11:37:22 -0700 (PDT), GI4FZD <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Now that it is the 15th October is the KAT500 shipping?
>> cheers
>> Paul
>> GI4FZD

Re: KAT500

Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ
Administrator
Hi Bob,

I apologize for the confusion on  this. You are only 1 day later, as the
Friday phone orders were entered after the Friday Dayton orders.  Your
order will ship before the Saturday orders. The introduction and first
sales of the KAT500 on Friday for Dayton attendees was the Dayton 'special'.

If Vicki said what you said below, she was mistaken. (I'd ask her, but
Vicki is no longer with the company.) We were not planning on taking
phone orders that Friday, but some heard about it from Dayton attendees
and they overloaded the staff here by calling that day. To say it was a
crazy Day for the sales team here is an understatement ;-)

Also note: HTML clipboard We are only shipping KAT500-F factory
assembled orders for the first two weeks as we finalize the kit assembly
manual. (As is our normal process, we use feedback from field testers
and our in-house assembly staff to improve the assembly manual during
that period.)

We are ramping up production as fast as is practical. Please be patient
with us as we go through the first several weeks of ramp-up. We're all
working hard to get these out as quickly as possible without sacrificing
quality.

73,

Eric
---
www.elecraft.com

On 10/15/2012 12:46 PM, Bob wrote:

> Hopefully that is not the case!   On the 1st day of Dayton they also took phone
> orders.
> At that time I was given my "official" time and was told I would be entered into
> the queue
> by time of order placement.
>
> So now I'm 3 days down in the queue?    I surely hope not.  Who said the
> original terms
> were changed.   I was given my time of order from Vicki on May18th.
>
> 73,
> Bob
> K2TK
>

> On 10/15/2012 3:06 PM, N5GE wrote:
>> Yes it is.
>>
>> Those who purchased at Dayton will get theirs first, then the rest of
>> us, according to the ladies at E Shipping...

Re: KAT500

KXBill
Any plans to come out with a remote AT?When will the KTA500 be on your "Products" page?
73 de Bill-w7kxb

Re: KAT500

k6dgw
At Pacificon, I cornered one of my contest buddies, Bob, K6XX, an
Elecraft employee, about my KAT500.  Well ... actually ... he cornered
me about SOTA and the summit he lives on, we do know each other fairly
well.  I asked him if the first KAT500 had shipped.  He said "Yes."  I
said, "And, it was mine?".  He said, "Only in your dreams!".  I really
love you Bob. :-)  But, in reality,

They made a redesign based on field testing ... and thank you Elecraft
for that.  It's now in production, yours and mine will come.  I looked
at a production model, it has all the gozintas and gozoutas that I was
looking for.  It'll come, they all have.